Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

United also had to suspend a pilot not long ago for putting out a tweet saying Hillary Clinton should be hanged, which was just a few months after another United pilot got busted by the FBI for running a string of brothels in Houston.

What this all means is I really gotta get my application in at UAL if I want move up in seniority at a legacy pretty quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I know Skywest raised their starting pay not long ago, and Compass, Republic, Great Lakes, ExJet and TSA have all raised their FO pay as well.

$36.50/hour for us at OO with the only bonus available being $7500 if already typed in a RJ of some sort.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

One kid is putting all our childhood avgeekery to shame:

https://www.facebook.com/Allegiant/photos/a.322137632605.156118.53960272605/10153858891872606/?type=3

Allegiant is hinting cute F/A Anna is going.

Dear Delta,

My name is CBJ and I have seen Lisa the Flight Attendant, whose name I know thanks to the Pop-Up Video safety video, on your safety videos plenty of times. My 29th birthday is next week and I can't tell if she's Italian or half-Asian, but she is fine as hell. Maybe you could set us up since I spend my fair share of money on your carrier each year anyway?
You owe me after the bullshit the school bearing your name pulled.

Your friend,
CBJ

Reference material:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aVz_d5l5ns

Interesting about-face after this incident earlier this year.

Also, that end of the Delta safety video doesn't inspire confidence for applying there, I don't have a mustache nor plan on growing one :(

xaarman posted:

Do any of you have the NTSB link to where the aircraft crashed due to, ahem, extra curricular activities not related to flying?

Your're talking about the "air-head" incident yeah?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

DC Pro-x, argument closed. They're light, work as well as the bose at almost half the price, and the customer service is excellent. Hell I accidently fried mine by putting the batteries in backward and they still fixed it, no questions asked.

The Slaughter posted:

I thought it was pretty obviously sarcastic knowing apollo :3
So I just registered for the NGPA job fair in January. Any other airline goons going?
No because I'm not gay and don't want to play the job fair game, but you CZ guys do seem a little :gay: sometimes

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Now wait a minute. You're saying you put in some
Batteries (AA's I presume) backwards and it fried your headset?

Pretty sure that's what I did, I was in a hurry and slammed a couple AAs in the controller box without looking. Imagine my displeasure when I tried turning on the ANR and nothing happened...

ausgezeichnet posted:

Let's argue about pilot shirts and shoes next.
Eccos slip ons (yes I'm lazy, plus there's no metal in them so I don't have to remove them for security)

ausgezeichnet posted:

Then which BBQ joints are best.
Earl's Ribs in OKC, or go to hell :c00lbert:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Yes, CPZ (it's CPZ or CP, not CZ) is the gayest airline. As soon as I upgrade (jan or feb) 5 out of the 68 captains in Seattle will be gay and that's just the ones I know about. Heck yeah. Been plenty of fun overnights.

I was going to apologize about my previous comment but then you had to go and say this:

quote:

As for headset talk... how did nobody mention the uflymic yet, I absolutely love mine and it's great for commuting or deadheads as well, just all around awesomeness and ridiculously cheap. I hear it's even better with harmony and the qc25 since it doesn't die when you run out of batteries.

That setup pisses me off to no end, do you have any idea how many people that I've flown with that have that headset start a conversation, only to start trailing off as the mic slowly drifts down from gravity? My god, just go topless above FL180, at least I can hear you then since the CRJ isn't super noisy up front.

Also isn't in-flight wifi magical? :science: it's just great I can post on the forums at 34000 feet while on a deadhead.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

It's pretty common for people to attend job fairs for the butt-kissing of major airlines they want to get hired at.

Women In Aviation, the Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals, and the National Gay Pilots Association all run job fairs (since they're great money makers), and it's kind of hilarious that most of the attendees are the exact same straight white dudes wearing almost identical suits.

Hence why I'm refusing to do that garbage, I'll go to a job fair sponsored by UAL or Delta however since that's the primary goal of those gatherings. Unless you're gay, female and/or Black you probably shouldn't show up to an event solely to escape your mediocre regional career and ignore the true purpose of why those conferences are organized in the first place.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

Apparently I was really dense when I replied, since that managed to go right over my head.:downsgun:

Some of the really grumpy senior guys I flew with were unintentionally hilarious, since they had the exact same set of things they'd bitch about ("Skywest took our jets!", "When we flew the F-28, everything was so much better!", etc...), on every single trip, so I finally got to the point where I'd just light the fuse ("Did you hear Skywest is doing flights to (city name?))", and then see how long they'd go on ranting for.

It's nice that my company provides a good distraction considering current affairs, you're welcome ;)

I'm also relieved that I managed to buddy bid a guy who isn't far off my political spectrum for most of my trips this month, I'd probably be in the CP's office already for mouthing off to some pro-Trumper who thinks he's Going to Make Airlines Great AgainŠ (spoiler alert: Trump isn't great with 121 service)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

MrChips posted:

This is digging into my ancient history now, but don't the 172 and most other piston aircraft typically have a recommendation (not a requirement, mind you) in the POH to lean for best power when flying out of airfields with an elevation greater than (typcially) 3000 feet?

From the 172S POH I found online somewhere:

Cessna posted:

NOTES:
2. Prior to takeoff from fields above 3000 feet elevation, the mixture should be leaned to give maximum RPM in a full throttle, static runup.

I don't know about you flatlanders but flying out of SLC and other high elevation airports, the mixture was never past 75% rich in most of the 172s and PA28s I flew.

azflyboy posted:

I successfully passed the oral exam for my captain upgrade this evening. Aside from one question that resulted in the check airman and I citing completely different answers from the same manual, it went really smoothly, and I get a few days off before I start the sims on Monday.

Nice :hfive: Still flying the Trash-8? When are you guys getting those shiny 175s?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Animal posted:

The regional I used to work for, flying 5 legs a day, had an exportable schedule that I could then import into Logten Pro with a few clicks and then a look-over to make sure everything was correct. It populated everything, even the name of the rest of the crew I flew with. Took me 30 minutes every few months. Made the decision to switch to digital-only very easy. If you are paranoid, then just print your poo poo every so often. Logten Pro even has a function that formats for printing and attaching to your own binder, and you can even order the prints from them.

Same for me, except replace LogTen Pro with mccPILOTLOG. Works great except when it imports the wrong CRJ variant and then I have to comb through and make sure everything else is correct :argh:

The Slaughter posted:

whelp i love my digital logbook.
but my airline just lost 6 E170s so there goes any movement for 3-4 months while attrition catches up with the shrinking size. gently caress. I think I'll still be able to upgrade if they run any classes at all (i bet they still will, but fewer people) but I'll sit junior for longer now on CA rsv. :/

Meanwhile, I got offered a class date next month but I turned it down because I'd rather not be a captain in Detroit. Two leg commute for flying the 200 in and out of lovely midwest airports? Thanks but no thanks.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I don't recall the exact numbers, but the Q400 requires something like 50% more maintenance than a 175 on a normal basis, and the only way we can reliably dispatch the airplanes is by beating them into submission by throwing a ton of parts at the fleet.

Bombardier products are the best, aren't they? :canada: I'm sure you guys are excited about the 175s coming over soon, although I heard management wasn't pleased at having to beg a competitor to sell QX some production orders...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

They don't want to be unemployed for 6 months after a bicycle accident because they bumped their head and someone thinks there's a remote possibility they got a concussion.

This very nearly was me last month, I had to decline captain upgrade for this month because I didn't think I was going to get my medical in time. Wear your helmet, kids.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

While you're at it could you tell him that even landing on 9L is preferable to having to :psyduck:

Good god that's terrible. The last time I flew into Chicago 10R wasn't operational yet so the alphabet soup taxi that is getting from 9L to ramp was the worst I've had to deal with.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

I don't know about where the idea that it's full of Asian crew is from. Literally everyone I've worked with both flight deck and cabin has been from Europe.

Oh so you work for THOSE guys...this is going to be interesting :allears:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I discovered a fun new "WTF Bombardier?" feature on the Q400 yesterday.

Apparently, whoever designed the electrical system on the Q400 neglected to include anything to ensure the DC external power only flows one way, so it's possible to end up with a situation where the airplane is attempting to power the airport terminal through the ground power cart.

When this happens, it creates a massive drain on the batteries (but no warning or caution lights on the flight deck), which in turn causes all kinds of fun failure messages to pop up after the first engine is started.

That sounds awesome, I'm sure such flaw doesn't exist on the CRJ... :downs:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

According to the various articles, the story is that they needed 4 seats for a crew to fly or the next day. There were 2 takers. They were offering a 3pm flight Monday, so a delay of close to 24 hours. That's missing a day of work. Not wasting a PTO day, even if it's available, is probably worth a lot more than the flight coupon (don't they expire in a year anyways?).

The proper solution was to buy a drat taxi for the crew since it's a 4.5 hour drive and eat whatever rest delay that entails. I'm sure United appreciates the customer service republic is providing on their behalf!

Plus the gate didn't follow the usual proper overbook procedure, which is to remove the four people who checked in last to provide seats for a deadheading (and probably last minute reflow, hence the ensuing clusterfuck) crew.

e: from all official and my unofficial UAL sources, the people who left were picked randomly, which is why I mentioned the above procedure

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Just an FYI: If you hit a goose with the cockpit at 200 knots check your switches. Apparently the impact can be hard enough to pop switchlights out of the overhead panel. On a related note does anyone know where to buy some clean underwear in OMA?

Was this on climb out, or descent? And instead of underwear maybe buy a steak instead for surviving that pants-making GBS threads incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Ugh starting tomorrow it's that time of year again where this will be the soundtrack to my life for the next 3 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwwBYzU2gE

• Locked thread