Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

Just had to start a watch tag on some guy out flying around on a 1200 code because he busted a Presidential TFR.

Read your NOTAMS, guys. That dude is going to be having a lovely night. :(

Is "starting a tag" basically saying he gets a number wherever he lands?

Back in the day we had someone at my airport call for taxi during a prez ground stop. It was basically:

:) N[x] is a mooney at [x] with information [x] ready to taxi.

:11tea: N[x], did you check notams and tfr's?

:) What?

:11tea: N[x] you aren't going anywhere, engine shut down and I have a number for you to call. Heads up, it's going to be secret service that answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Butt Reactor posted:

Also isn't in-flight wifi magical? :science: it's just great I can post on the forums at 34000 feet while on a deadhead.

poo poo yeah :iia:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
God I'm glad my current other pilot has the same relative views as me. Even then we just don't talk about it because he isn't nuts.

My last job it was all pro-child-labor, carpet bombing civilian families in the Middle East and Obama coming to his house to take his kid's feet away.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
-Good UV pro.
-Durable.
-Comfortable under a headset.

My Wayfarers are the best flying shades I've ever used.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
*Sits down, pours a drink and looks up from glasses*

I have no idea what that is.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrChips posted:

This is digging into my ancient history now, but don't the 172 and most other piston aircraft typically have a recommendation (not a requirement, mind you) in the POH to lean for best power when flying out of airfields with an elevation greater than (typcially) 3000 feet?

I did some 172 flying out of Tucson and on hotter days I had to lean it substantially more than anywhere I've been. It made me think there was a problem the first time, but the local I was with was like "lol welcome to AZ."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've seen that kind of crap a few times while growing up at an airport. It's not a rental car, but some suburbanites don't know the difference.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

Flying NC-AZ on a beeline Tuesday. Anybody on the radios headed that way?

What airport to what airport? Those are the 2 states I used to teach in.

Memreeeeez

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

We must not endanger Mike Pence Jr!!!

are you Mike Pence Jr???

Like his dad would let him post on a gay forum.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

Light airplane windshields are often made from acrylic plastic, which is lighter than glass (and can be molded into curved shapes), but is also softer and more prone to scratches. In addition to being easier to scratch, acrylic also reacts badly with ammonia (which is commonly used in glass cleaners), since the ammonia causes hazing in the acrylic that can require replacing a very expensive windshield.

This. As a CFI, I say don't do it.

As an ex-mechanic that wants to see the industry thrive: loving go for it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hjp766 posted:

What's the US equivalent of a P45

What's the anything equivalent of that?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We call it a pink-slip.

:patriot:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
:stare:

Yikes man.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm having a brain fart: when reporting outside temperature while in flight, do you give SAT or RAT? Reporting some light icing this morning and they asked for the temp at altitude for the first time in forever.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That's what I've been doing but the other pilot disagrees. I always assume SAT because RAT changes with speed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I figured, thanks. He's a great pilot, probably just got told the wrong thing at some point and didn't think too much about it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress you, I have the remote. Hope you like generic low volume documentaries, go to any of the other 8 TV's in this building if you have to watch Fox right now.

I'm in the pilot lounge.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dude walked in.

"There's no DVD player! Guess we're watching Fox!"

Guess you're loving not? It's always the same charter company, too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Some dude came in while me and the other pilot were the only guys in the lounge watching a show. He looks for a place to insert his DVD in the tv we're watching, can't find one, so decides that we're going to watch his news channel instead, which is already playing on every other tv in the building. There was no asking, just assuming it'd happen.

It was just so incredibly rude, and I'm starting to become biased against this company's pilots because they're consistently obnoxious around people that are trying to quietly relax.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nuggan posted:

One of them was flying my plane and he let me sit on his lap and steer for half the flight.

What was Sully like?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

This is why, when I somehow manage to secure a recliner in a pilot lounge, I change the tv to MSNBC or The View or something really offensive to NetJets pilots and hide the remote by my seat cushion. Then I pretend to be asleep while some bozo carrying a crew meal gets wound up about missing a few minutes of Fox News or the Military Channel.

Hey how did you know exactly who I was taking about? I was being so vague :iamafag:

And this is a good idea, the other pilot will totally roll with me on this. He haaaates when they get super entitled around other pilots.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
When I was an a&p I had to beg the little shop I was in to not play Rush on the loud speaker system we had. It was literal torture.

My last DO loved that poo poo because if it wasn't for the ultra rich, nobody would have jets and we'd all be out of work.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nuggan posted:

Passed my ppl check ride this morning. I'm a pilot, goons.

Have a beer, wait 8 hours and go do your instrument rating.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nuggan posted:

I believe it is 50 hours here in the states. I have a friend who also just got his PPL, we're planning on trading off who is flying when we take some trips so we can both get hours up for the instrument rating.

Most of your instrument training will/should be

-Departure
-Navigate to airport far enough away while playing with nav aids
-Arrival
-Approach - miss and hold
-Approach - land
-Navigate home

You're going to be checking multiple boxes at once in regards to IFR, cross country, night, whatever, so your other requirements will be all good around the time you get your 40 hours of instrument training (assuming you're following a decent syllabus.)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Piaggio guys are chill because they get to show people pictures of the rucking Piaggio they fly.

I like those planes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just noticed a huge black plume of smoke while checking on our plane at KTEB.

People are saying a Learjet went down :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Of course they're doing circling approaches in gusting crosswind conditions. We were getting thrown all over earlier but the CJ I'm in now handles it so much better than my old Learjet did, especially in the landing configuration.

• Locked thread