Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Haha, finally got my long-distance cross country done yesterday, CYBW-CFN7-CYRM-CYPE-CYBW. 7.8 hours total (I got the bill this morning. Sad!) and it all went pretty well. Had to fight turbulence and a nasty headwind pretty much the whole way there, but the ride back was nice and calm by comparison and the clouds lifted so I didn't have to worry about that. All in all, quite fun. Turns out the seventh time was the charm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My flight school picked up a new (to us) C172 yesterday, and we still don't have a loving twin, after 8 months, because there's "no money."

I'm going to finish off my CPL and switch schools because this one is obviously run by idiots. My primary instructor is leaving at the end of June anyway, so I'd be doing multi-IFR and/or instructor rating with someone else already.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more pissed off I am. You're not only loving over all the CPL students, who basically need Group I IFR to get a job, but you're also loving over all the instructors, who don't get any twin time whatsoever, making it harder for them to get their next job. Yeah, the perfect deal might not be coming along on exactly the Twin Comanche you want, but just eat some poo poo and get a serviceable twin. Or get a 182 for renters who want something faster than a 172 without jumping all the way to the Cirrus (which has also been conspicuous in its absence lately, I've noticed). Or get a nice, modern 172 with a G1000, so you can teach people how to fly with more modern avionics. Or get a Citabria to replace the one a student wrote off with a ground loop last year, since people have been asking about tailwheel training. Pretty much anything would've been better than another 172N.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 5, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nuggan posted:

Passed my ppl check ride this morning. I'm a pilot, goons.

Congratulations!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Don't you need 50 hours PIC cross-country for an instrument rating (or is that just in Canada)? Work on that, then do your instrument rating. I guess you could do all the training, complete the flight test, and then build hours, but... why?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

Most of your instrument training will/should be

-Departure
-Navigate to airport far enough away while playing with nav aids
-Arrival
-Approach - miss and hold
-Approach - land
-Navigate home

You're going to be checking multiple boxes at once in regards to IFR, cross country, night, whatever, so your other requirements will be all good around the time you get your 40 hours of instrument training (assuming you're following a decent syllabus.)

Right, but is any of that PIC? I'll be honest, I haven't looked into it much here, but my understanding is that the instrument syllabus has no PIC time.

I'm looking to go right into my MIFR rating right after I get my CPL*, but I've been basing everything on the assumption I'll basically need the 50 PIC XC before I start. If I fill out the rest of my PIC requirements for the CPL with cross country time I should be close, and I'm going to try and do some/all of it at night (easier said than done when night is 9:30PM to 5:30AM right now).

* Might end up going for the instructor rating first, though. Some people recommend that first, others say I should finish off the MIFR first -- and that's what I'm leaning towards, just so I have more experience and I can offer a better perspective to any students I instruct. And, for what it's worth, the more I think about it the more I actually want to instruct, rather than just doing it as a way to build time. We'll see how long that lasts once I start instructing, of course :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I saw an RCMP PC-12 yesterday at my airport. It's a nice looking plane and I'd like to fly one some day. It seems like flying for the RCMP would be a pretty cool gig -- I don't imagine you'd get bored often.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fordan posted:

The FAA lets those of us down here log PIC time anytime we are the sole manipulator of the controls for an aircraft in which we are rated, even if not acting as actual PIC. In IMC receiving training? log PIC. No medical, no current flight review getting refresher training? log PIC.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/legacy-pages/aviation-subject-report-logging-pilot-in-command-pic-time

Oh yeah, it doesn't work that way in Canada as far as I know (or I'd have a lot more PIC time).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Welp, the club just got a brand new Seneca II! Apparently it's super low time and was owned by a private owner, too. Looks beautiful, can't wait to finish up my commercial license and get started on being able to fly it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Back in the saddle as of last night. Aside from bringing down the nose too fast on a simulated soft field I didn't do anything to cause my instructor or I any concern. I'll be flying several times a week to get myself back up to flight test standard.

Now I'm studying for the written. I'm almost done a practice exam and I only graded the first 1/10th of it and so far so good. My school actually wants people to do the written before the flight test because they find that doing them in that order helps.

Still, ugh, tests.

Don't you need the written in order to be admitted to the flight test? Or is that just for the CPL?

I've got my flight test Sunday. I feel good about most things, but I wish I were better (or at least more consistent) at power-off 180s.

EDIT: Went out early af today and nailed a whole bunch of power-off 180s. I'm ready for tomorrow.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 20, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Apart from one single occasion out of... thirty or forty, my problem has always been being too high, never too low. Which is a much better problem to have, to be sure, but it'll still be an issue if I land long on the flight test.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

loving winds... Oh well, the ground portion went well and we'll try to get off the ground for the flying portion of the flight test tomorrow afternoon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, I still need ~23 PIC before you can update the OP's list, but I passed my commercial flight test! gently caress yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nuggan posted:

Congratulations!

Thanks!

It was... not amazing. There was part of me that was wondering throughout the flight test if I'd actually failed an item or two. But apparently I got a reasonably high pass. I ain't gonna argue with it, but I was pleasantly surprised when we landed and the examiner said I'd passed. Oh well, always new mistakes and poo poo to fix on the next flight... the day I think I've done everything perfectly and have nothing to improve on is the day I stop flying, because that's not a safe attitude.

• Locked thread