Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fordan posted:

I'm not sure I would be jumping off the back of a WSC trike without the pilot killing the engine first. Well, I personally wouldn't choose to jump, but if I was going to, I'd prefer to eliminate the risk that my big billowy wing suit wouldn't catch and toss me back into the spinning pusher prop.

Also, I so desperately want a WSC trike. Have 1.0 dual in one, so much fun. Like motorcycles in the sky.

They seem like fun. Dual is hilariously expensive for some reason though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I never saw this particular marking described in the AIM

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

There was a mid-air collision back home this morning. News is sparse so far but apparently one of the planes was a young eagles flight; pilot and child are dead. The other plane was apparently a Searay amphibian.

edit: C172 crashed with 2 fatalities including a young boy; the Searay landed hard but pilot and 9 year old girl will be ok.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 27, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tide posted:

Thank you!

Yes sir, I expect the redbird and I to get really acquainted. I don't deny their usefulness, I just have a mental block about them. They don't smell like stale cigarette smoke and/or avgas.

Easily fixed.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

tenaciousvigilance posted:

Hey there - was a lurker of this thread for a while; used it to get a kickstart on my aviation education and have been dutifully flying since April w/over 70 hours. I just needed to do my solo cross country, night training and some under the hood work and I'd be ready for my check ride.

I was ecstatic on Friday as I had my first solo into a tower-controlled Class C airport on Friday. The euphoria of having completed a tower controlled solo landing into a moderately sized airport was awesome. I was proud of myself...only to have those positive emotions turned upside down the next day.

On Saturday morning, tragedy struck and I'm still shaken by it and unsure of whether I want to continue with this hobby. Ironically, I was at my local regional airport for an FAA safety meeting (part of WINGS) and the EAA was organizing the Eagle Scouts program and there were probably about 30-50 planes giving free rides to kids at the same time.

Long story short, there was a mid-air collision for one of the Eagles flights and one of the pilots and mechanic for my flying club was killed along with his passenger (the other pilot was able to crash land with no injuries). The fatal accident happened in the same plane 172 trainer I have over 65+ hours in and just solo'd to BUF the morning before. The mom was there and it was a chilling site to hear her get the news and tragically ironic to be at a safety meeting while all this was occurring (the main FAA gentleman got a phone call and ran out through the meeting). Search lancaster crash if you want to see some news stories about the accident.

I'm just shaken by all this. My flight instructor called me and is encouraging me to continue w/my training and see it through. He says when he was about to go for his CFI check ride his friend got in a deadly accident and he was in a situation where he wasn't sure he wanted to continue, but was happy that he did because of the 35+ years of flying he's done since then and the adventures that he's had.

It's only been two days so I plan to give it a little more time before I make any decisions on whether to continue or not, but just wondering if he anyone's been in similar situations. What would you do if you were a student in my situation? I love flying, but recognize general aviation is a bit risky and have now experienced it first hand.

Hello. We probably know a lot of the same people, and we certainly know a lot of the same airports. I soloed at KIAG and I know some of the people at the WNYFC which is who I am assuming you're training with. Most of my flying has been out of 0G0 (formerly; that place is very unfortunately beyond usefulness now and should be notam'd closed), 9G3 and 9G5 (I have a 172 there now!).

I don't blame you for being shaken. I was a bit shaken by the news, myself, despite the fact that I wasn't there and have nothing invested in the situation emotionally or physically. It's lovely when this happens, especially when kids are involved, and double especially when it's a young eagles event.

Take a short break from flying if you want to. You don't have to make any big decisions right away. The accident was just a few days ago.

It has been a bad year for GA in the WNY area. There have been at least 6 crashes, 2 of which fatal, just that I can recall off the top of my head.

This may not be therapeutic for you (in fact it could be the opposite, but it works for me) but maybe spend some time reading NTSB accident reports and AOPA's "Never Again" series (or whatever it's called). The NTSB reports are dry and straight to the point, and you can learn from them some common mistakes that cost people their lives. Never Again is usually about pilots who survived some ordeal and they often also make common GA mistakes. VFR into IMC is a very common way to kill yourself in GA. Mid-air collisions are pretty rare. It's almost always pilot error, and almost always something that is so simple, at least in hindsight.

Don't be afraid of the radios, or of ATC. VFR flight following is a nice way to get some extra eyes on your situation. KBUF approach are all really nice guys! Don't stop using checklists because you've done it a thousand times and you know an airplane really well. Don't relax your visual scan when flying under VFR -- separation is still your responsibility. Simple stuff, but a lot of the older guys I know refuse to talk on the radio, even CTAF for position reporting. I've heard plenty of stories of guys flying in IMC when they're not rated for it. The guy who crashed and died at 9G5 this summer most likely didn't set his trim for take-off (checklist item!).

There are lots of ways to significantly reduce your risk when you fly, just like you do when you drive (seatbelts, turn signals, checking blind spots, safe following distance, etc).

Anyways, just relax for a bit. Don't pressure yourself. If you want to talk privately, buy yourself platinum and send a PM anytime.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

tenaciousvigilance posted:

What do you guys think about buying something like this? http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/9194

Anyone use it? Does it help/work well?

I got to play with one for a few flights. It doesn't work very well, and is not comprehensive.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Student pilot checking in. As of today I have 22.9 hours in my book.
My girlfriend bought me an hour of time for Christmas last year. My instructor is very much old school, stick and rudder type. He is teaching me in a Cessna 150H and we fly out of sn63. Seriously, look that one up.

My mission is mostly flying farmer type stuff, cheeseburger runs and fooling around, low and slow.

I just got back from a trip to Colorado to get my pickup worked on and I managed to log 3.3 hours in two days. I did more landings in those two flights on not grass runways than I ever had before, total. I got to fly up into the foothills north of Denver and experience what my mountain flying CAP search and rescue CFI called 'moderate' chop. Not real sure, but it didn't feel moderate, made me wish for the five point harnesses in the 150 instead of the three point in a 172. Random 30 degree banks, 1500 fpm up and down drafts.

All my time has been in the same plane until this week, I'm glad I took the opportunity to fly a bigger plane (not that a 160 hp 172 qualifies as 'big') with someone else. It was a great learning experience, and humbling.

5-point harness in a 150? Is it an aerobat?

edit: No, it's not. Missed that you specified the model, sorry.

My 172 only has lap belts :P

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tide posted:

Out of curiosity, how long after getting your PPL did anyone wait before taking someone up with you?

I am pretty sure it was the same day for me, but I'd have to check my logbook to be sure. First passenger was my Dad. He made me promise he could be the first passenger I take when I told him I started lessons :).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Sometimes you just don't click with an instructor.

My friend Harry says that a man can go a day without food or water but a pilot can't go a day without a rationalization about why he needs an airplane.

You don't have to rationalize basic truths :colbert:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I'm in Australia so take the below with a grain of salt - I was just interested to see how different requirements are.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rr of use at all? FCC and FAA being separate means it won't be in FAR

You do not need that permit for (US) domestic airband usage.

edit: it's right on the page you linked:

NOT needed for
Aircraft stations which operate only on VHF frequencies and do not make foreign flights.
Aircraft radar sets, radio altimeters, transponders or other aircraft automatic radionavigation transmitters.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I turned on the auto pilot and sat there for half an hour :(

Man, how awful that must have been, to sit in a machine held by its own power stationary in the sky like some kind of a wizard king for half an hour.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really want an inflatable Otto to stick in the plane when I'm parked at fly-ins or whatever.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

He had soooooooooo much room to abort after settling the first time.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Too soon.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 5, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've never heard of this before.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really want to hear more about the WO program, personally. I had never heard of it and it sounds interesting. I already aged out for Navy pilot school.

What are the odds of getting in and actually becoming a pilot? If I understand correctly, the obligation would be 6 years of service. What is actually involved with getting in, and what is the training and duty like?

The army's documentation of the program kind of sucks.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

and a (almost) PHD!

What field?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rekinom posted:

I'm going to regret interrupting this circlejerk, but...

Just loving apply for a UPT slot at a guard unit. In the ANG your only job is to fly, you don't have your entire life run by the military, and you basically get a part time job in a flying club flying super expensive poo poo either flying all over the world doing legit cool poo poo (heavies), flying fast high performance jets (fighters), or doing low level badass poo poo saving lives (helos). You also spend a lot of time around super experienced guys who are most likely in the airlines and will sponsor your dumb rear end to a major with like 15 internal recommendations to FedEx or Delta or whatever. And it costs drat near nothing. You submit a package to a unit when they accept applications, you meet a board, and they select you. You then go to one of two of the best pilot training programs in the entire world flying multimillion dollar aircraft, and then eventually go to your unit where you spend 1 or 2 years full time with the all the insane benefits that come with the military.

But, no, totally just take on like 100k of debt on an irreversible decision and spend your entire adult life paying it off with the standard of living of a crackhead in The Wire just because apply for loans is easy, and pushups are hard.

You make it sound like a sure thing, which is pretty far from the truth. According to this guy, for example, only 10% of applicants will even make it to the first interview: http://www.wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/ANGPilotSlot/tabid/63/Default.aspx

It's also apparently extremely advantageous to come in with flight experience already, which cuts into your training value proposition significantly.

All that said, it is definitely something to consider (and another of these paths to flight I had never heard of until recently in this thread). Unfortunately, like naval pilot school, I'm aged out for UPT.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If you are replying to me, you are taking extreme license in how you interpreted my post.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Animal posted:

I am more interested in finding out the process of becoming a WO, there doesn't seem to be enough information out there on how to go about doing it, what they want, and if being a pilot already will help or hurt. I will probably get in touch with a recruiter but you know how full of poo poo they can be. It needs to happen soon though cause I turn 33 in June.

Same here. I couldn't find much in the way of real details.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

Am I going to need to worry about eAPIS at all? I just need a passport and possibly the FCC radio license right?

You need the FCC restricted radiotelephone operator license, the airplane itself needs an FCC station license, the airplane needs a valid 2015 customs decal, and you need to file with eapis for the US side and can-pass for the Canadian side.

edit: and your passport, FAA pilot cert, and medical.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

Oh good. I sincerely hope this guy I'm flying with tomorrow has some of this in order since I have no clue how to handle eAPIS...isn't that what dispatchers are for? ;)

eAPIS really sucks. Also remember you have to land at an international airport on the way back. And you have to tell them your arrival time in a 15 minute (iirc) window. He will need your passport info to file. Can-Pass is easier to deal with but still one more thing to worry about. Just make sure he files everything and verify that he has a 2015 customs decal. They look like this:

But it should be a 5 for 2015

They definitely checked mine out when I arrived back in the country. They also checked my plane for radioactive substances and looked at our donuts (but didn't want any).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Here's a cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP35ULU6IcQ

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I took off as a passenger on a Delta 757 on Reagan's Runway 33 (5204 ft) once because of strong winds making Runway 1 unusable.

I was fully aware of what a freak of nature the 757 is, but even then :stonk:.

I think being a GA pilot has some disadvantages when flying commercially. I tend to be a little bit too aware of what is going on with the airplane and I get concerned about things like (what I perceive to be) low airspeed and high angle of attack (3407 was in my neck of the woods) for example.

Recently I was on a flight departing Catania, Italy and we took off to the east, putting us over the sea almost immediately. We were at maybe 1500 or 2000 feet when the engines were suddenly throttled back alarmingly low, and you could feel the deceleration resulting from the change. At the same time the plane banked hard to the left and was no longer climbing. I've never in my life thought something was wrong with a plane on takeoff but that time I really did. I thought we were making the impossible 180, and it looked like we'd be making a water landing for sure.

But we just sort of held our altitude for a little while, the turn leveling out on a northerly track, and eventually the engines throttled back up and the flight progressed like any other. I am still not sure what that was about, but I am guessing it is some sort of very aggressive noise abatement routine.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't think it had anything to do with Sigonella given the geography involved (taking off from Catania Fontanarossa eastward over the sea and then turning left towards the north and Milan). Sigonella is southwest of Catania Fontanarossa.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Arcella posted:

This is on my GA bucket list.

Same here. Courcheval would be awesome too but that's a lot less likely for me.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MJP posted:

Has anyone gotten their PPL in northern NJ within the last couple of years? I've saved up enough that so long as my company meets performance goals and I get my bonus, I can finally start lessons - I'm just trying to get solid handles on total costs incurred to make sure I'll be in the right spot.

There's no solid total cost. $8k-$14k is a reasonable range to assume, all in (including books, modest set of gear, and the written exam + checkride and medical).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The pilot is a hero though because his hand was still on the stick when they found his mangled body.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hjp766 posted:

Morning or whatever it is...

If anyone wants to attempt to pick my brains regarding commercial flying please feel free. I am a SFO with a British Carrier currently operating the 757/767 but slated to reconvert to the A320/321 sometime this summer. I still also muck around in light singles in my spare time.

Any questions sling them my way.

Are cockpit doors soundproof and insulated from airflow generally?

If someone was having a loud freakout in first class, would you be able to hear it if you took off your headset?

How do you contact the flight attendants?

As a percentage, how much higher would your fuel burn be if you were flying at 10,000-14,000 feet and at cruise power, compared to flying in the normal flight levels?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Uncommanded engine shutdown, leading to unscheduled off-airport arrival.

fixed

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrChips posted:

Here's a garbagey little trick to flying DME arcs; once you establish on the arc, fly to keep the DME's speed readout at zero knots. Perfectly smooth DME arcs every time.

I wouldn't do that on a checkride, but there you go.

Why is that a garbagey trick? That seems like a completely logical and foolproof way to fly an arc around a point. I'm not instrument rated so I don't know what is "proper" in this case.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

All of this in response to an incident in which the captain, not the FO, was too busy talking to the FO about cold remedies to fly the drat plane.

Well, they also actively fought against the plane's best efforts to keep them out of a stall, stalled, and nosedived into a house.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

How is requiring more experience going to help that? Stall prevention and recovery is already something that every pilot has practiced prior to their first solo, and then been tested on (presumably) at every level thereafter. We're not talking about situations that require vast amounts of experience, judgement and airmanship, but things that any pilot should know regardless of hours.

Assuming that lack of experience is the problem, which I don't believe it is (it's probably more related to the horrendous working conditions a lot of junior pilots face more than anything else), wouldn't it make more sense to increase the hours required to become a captain, and decrease the number of hours required to be a first officer? That way, it's easier for newer pilots to get experience, and there's always someone with quite a lot of experience on board.

I was only saying that those two were a particular kind of special. I don't agree with the new regulations either.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

8 minute 3400 fpm descent with no radio contact before the crash.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

The fact is we just don't know. Maybe something incapacitated both people on the flight deck, either by accident or on purpose -- not outside the realm of possibility.

There are risks to not allowing the flight deck to be secured from the inside, clearly, but if there was a pilot outside the flight deck with no way back in, it might also be that there are risks to allowing the flight deck to be completed isolated from the inside out, regardless of other regulations or practices.

Don't you think that a 2nd crewmember to enter the cockpit would say hello or something?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does anyone have enough familiarity with the A320 cockpit to say whether a passed out person in the right seat could physically slump onto the stick or other controls in such a way to initiate a very stable 3,400 foot per minute descent?

edit: I think the odds are slightly in favor of this being intentional, given what we know at the moment.

That the co-pilot was suicidal/homicidal and waited for an opportunity which happened to present itself on this flight is a simple explanation.

That the co-pilot passed out during the brief time the captain was out of the cockpit, and then somehow his body initiated a stable 8-minute descent into terrain seems more complicated and less likely.

I wish I could work on investigations like these.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 26, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

If you are hell bent on suicide, why not just nose dive straight into the ground? Granted, its an airbus so HAL is flying but it seems like there should be a faster way to kill yourself, especially with someone beating on the door.

Of course a Mr. Lawndart would advocate this method.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

That's a huge conclusion to jump to, though. I don't think we know that at all based on what's known so far.

This is mostly speculation; nobody is making statements of facts pertaining to the recent crash. Everyone understands we don't have much information yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Germanwings Co-Pilot Deliberately Crashed Airbus Jet, French Prosecutor Says

Who could have seen that coming!?

• Locked thread