Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Student pilot checking in. As of today I have 22.9 hours in my book.
My girlfriend bought me an hour of time for Christmas last year. My instructor is very much old school, stick and rudder type. He is teaching me in a Cessna 150H and we fly out of sn63. Seriously, look that one up.

My mission is mostly flying farmer type stuff, cheeseburger runs and fooling around, low and slow.

I just got back from a trip to Colorado to get my pickup worked on and I managed to log 3.3 hours in two days. I did more landings in those two flights on not grass runways than I ever had before, total. I got to fly up into the foothills north of Denver and experience what my mountain flying CAP search and rescue CFI called 'moderate' chop. Not real sure, but it didn't feel moderate, made me wish for the five point harnesses in the 150 instead of the three point in a 172. Random 30 degree banks, 1500 fpm up and down drafts.

All my time has been in the same plane until this week, I'm glad I took the opportunity to fly a bigger plane (not that a 160 hp 172 qualifies as 'big') with someone else. It was a great learning experience, and humbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Solo Cross country this morning!

2.7 hours, SN63 -> KGCK -> K33K -> SN63

Saw lots of corn being harvested. Nothing like the peace and quiet of a couple silent unicom channels at 4,500 feet to make you feel that all is right with the world.

There's no such thing as a bad day flying, you might have a negative learning experience, but if you're in an airplane it's a good day. If the airplane will fly again tomorrow, you had a great day.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

AA is for Quitters posted:

I'd rather learn on grass runways than learn from "wannabe Maverick...but the airforce wouldn't let me in" especially cause all i wanna do is be able to rent a plane every now and then for a weekend and go on weekend adventures

Right now the limiting factor is the cost of the airtime. The instructor time isn't that bad, it's an extra $50 an hour, but the plane rental is $150/hr. I've done two hours of instructor time and loved every second of it, but that was two years ago. Being poor sucks. Especially when you want to fly.

Sometimes you just don't click with an instructor.

My friend Harry says that a man can go a day without food or water but a pilot can't go a day without a rationalization about why he needs an airplane.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Second Solo XC today, 2.8 hours and a great morning to fly.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
There was a late sixties Piper Cherokee Arrow that made an emergency landing on highway 54 about two miles west of the airport I train at, Havilland Kansas.

I got the chance to see the plane, take some pics and get the story.

Dude and his mechanic buddy fly to Kansas city from Cali to buy said airplane. Plans gets bought, guys leave for Cali that night.
The engine had a brand new jug you see, and from what I heard it had not been test flown after the work was done.

About three hours into the flight, the piston seized in the brand new jug. The rod pulled out of the bottom of the piston and then the engine ate itself.
He was at 8500 feet, engine out at night.

Nearest on his GPS didn't give him SN63, which he might have made, it gave KPTT, 13 miles away. So he set it down on the first flat place he saw, the highway. Both guys walked away.

• Locked thread