Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You do have to run a farm in Rune Factory but it's not like a big part of the game. I havent got very far since the first game but I remember only growing like spinach and potatoes, over and over, and not really bothering with the fancy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
There are also skills for everything in the game. Including sleeping, eating, and taking baths. So yeah, if you like making numbers go up and crafting stuff you'll probably love it.

edit: I never finished RF4 but I believe you can completely ignore the farm after the tutorial and still unlock all the main content; you progress through the game by killing bosses. The farming is pretty easy anyway, and you can get monsters to do everything from planting to harvesting.

naptalan fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 12, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

naptalan posted:

There are also skills for everything in the game. Including sleeping, eating, and taking baths. So yeah, if you like making numbers go up and crafting stuff you'll probably love it.

edit: I never finished RF4 but I believe you can completely ignore the farm after the tutorial and still unlock all the main content; you progress through the game by killing bosses. The farming is pretty easy anyway, and you can get monsters to do everything from planting to harvesting.

In addition, once you unlock dungeons, you can kill monsters and forage for items to sell. Farming is still far and away the best money maker, but if you're foraging materials, it's not like you're going to need to mass-purchase materials for crafting anyway.

That being said, it's very much worth devoting at least some time to farming so that you earn more money for materials to upgrade crafting skills. Farming also gets trivial as the game goes on and the watering can gets upgraded. At the end of the game, I can harvest and water five fields in ~2-3 minutes, so it's not a big deal overall.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
Thanks, maybe I'll check it out. I tried the first few Harvest Moons and didn't like the constant upkeep.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Scrape posted:

Thanks, maybe I'll check it out. I tried the first few Harvest Moons and didn't like the constant upkeep.

Rune Factory is a little different from regular Harvest Moon. Regular Harvest Moon is all about managing a farm and socializing with the town. Rune Factory is more about fighting monsters in dungeons, but also has farming and socializing with the village.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lowly posted:

Rune Factory is a little different from regular Harvest Moon. Regular Harvest Moon is all about managing a farm and socializing with the town. Rune Factory is more about fighting monsters in dungeons, but also has farming and socializing with the village.

Rune Factory also has much more streamlined and convenient farming than the games actually centered around farming.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
So I'm thinking about getting this game. I love RPGs and ACNL. Does this game have anything to do after you've finished the main quest line and gotten your classes to high levels? Any tough bosses or endless dungeons for example?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ohjoshdarnit posted:

So I'm thinking about getting this game. I love RPGs and ACNL. Does this game have anything to do after you've finished the main quest line and gotten your classes to high levels? Any tough bosses or endless dungeons for example?

There are a couple dungeons that are endgame and full of monsters that are quite a bit tougher than regular enemies even if you're maxed out and bosses/mini-bosses with unique attack patterns.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
What's funny is that I played this game for 15 hours, had to scratch my Rune Factory 4 itch (I'm on the very last part of the post-game, before the post-post-game of the mirror) and get back to it. Both of them scratch that "NUMBERS GOING UP" itch. I think the game a got a lot more fun when I got to the third town. Feels way more open at that point.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This is probably a weird gripe, especially considering that I absolutely love this game, but I feel like the other characters are WAY too loving hard on Noelia.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got this for xmas and have been glued to it ever since. I wasn't expecting that much, just a fun little diversion but 27 hours later I'm master in 3 lifes and haven't even touched the others yet. No clue how the metacritic score is only 72, tbh.

Is mage a fun life? looking for something different to level (I'm currently a mercenary)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I got this for xmas and have been glued to it ever since. I wasn't expecting that much, just a fun little diversion but 27 hours later I'm master in 3 lifes and haven't even touched the others yet. No clue how the metacritic score is only 72, tbh.

Is mage a fun life? looking for something different to level (I'm currently a mercenary)

Mage is decent but you have to stock up on SP potions since even their basic attack uses SP. They get some legitimately useful AoE attacks that hit high-flying enemies too.

My personal favorite combat Life is Paladin because they're the quickest but I still suck at doing the 5 hit chain.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hunter is best because at-range means no hits from most enemies! Plus their stat bonuses coincide well with Mining and Cutting.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Hunter is best because at-range means no hits from most enemies! Plus their stat bonuses coincide well with Mining and Cutting.

The special arrows are kinda bad though, I'm in the late forties and my poison arrows do 2-3 damage.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Killed the Silver Dragon, went to pick up the bounty and accidentally did the sprint attack with the greatsword and instantly destroyed the bounty. :suicide:

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
I'm only a short while into the game and the fact that you can destroy your own bounties is my only gripe with it. I've mis-clicked and ruined a few.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ohjoshdarnit posted:

I'm only a short while into the game and the fact that you can destroy your own bounties is my only gripe with it. I've mis-clicked and ruined a few.

I spent a good 10 minutes killing a super-powerful monster with a super rare bounty. Finished him off with the first hit of the Wizard's special attack.

Second hit destroyed the bounty. Motherfucker!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Seriously (to bounty talk). I don't even mind the gameplay mechanics of "limited to 3 rare drops" or "protect from enemies" but enemies are REALLY GOOD at beelining and this always seems to mean I'll kill my own bounty when I see them swooping in at it and I panic. The one (small) upside has been the times I destroyed a bounty like that and solved the problem of "I want to clear out more of this dungeon but I'd have to drop a bounty..." but only when I'm losing poo poo like an Elder Log.

Just finished catching up on this thread and I can't vote for Strength character/jobs as a first choice enough. I haven't started Wizard yet (just started Creator-ranking classes) but I love the build-up I've got from only putting points in Strength, Vit and Luck. I was a Paladin forever and had no combat problems, and Strength meant Miner and Woodcut were a breeze, Vit meant Blacksmith and Carpenter were a breeze, and those two professions produced enough amazing tools and weapons that, even though I found Mercenary painfuly slow and Hunter weak with no Focus, I breezed through both with a progression of crafted weapons (and in the case of Hunter, Odin and Yuelia).

With w/e tailoring needle gives you +20% high quality chance, I've made some good versions of the elemental robes with +SP on the gear and when I tackle wizard I'm hoping to just allocate all my stats into Int and the secondary, breeze through alchemist (Which I tried with str and vit and legitimately floundered in) for SP pots, then breeze through wizard knowing I can pull out Fern or whoever as companions if anything is tough.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, I did it. I god-ranked all the jobs and maxed out my candy boosts! :toot:

(Went with 20 points to all stats but luck. Figure I can adjust luck as I like.)

Well... now what?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Do it as the other gender and look fabulous at all times.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

You can be more fabulous than this?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Silver Falcon posted:

Depends on if you have the Mining Trophy or not.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Silver Falcon posted:

I can't figure out how to take screenshots :(

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Select or Start will screenshot the top screen.

There's a few ways to get it off your 3DS from there, I've used the Webrender site to upload to imgur. While I had issues logging in, the anonymous upload worked fine. There was another way someone else posted a while back, but I can't remember who it was.

After looking up if there were any newer ways, you can actually just e-mail yourself the image, gmail's site seems to work fine on the 3DS.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Got this game from Gamefly a few days ago and finally put sometime into it. Got the dlc, a level 10 paladin, and am gonna start grabbing the gathering/crafting lives. Should I start the other combat lives?

Do we have a place to put our FC? Mine is 4656-8282-4997.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Rubicon posted:

Got this game from Gamefly a few days ago and finally put sometime into it. Got the dlc, a level 10 paladin, and am gonna start grabbing the gathering/crafting lives. Should I start the other combat lives?

Thread's detailed a lot of the unique frustrations for wizard, so maybe hold off to post-game when you can shift stats around, but I ran Paladin with Str/Vit/Lck all game (so far, waiting to respec until after I finish the trials) and Mercenary and Hunter were both doable (to creator). I'd do gathering/crafting first, and just make some kickass great swords/ bows. If you have points in Vit Blacksmith and Carpenter should be great!

I did appreciate that about this game. You can legend-rank any combat class, even if you slap a sword and shield on a wizard, and then use whichever one you like best to actually beat the challenging stuff. There is no class quest for "Beat trial of light as a hunter wielding a bow specifically HOPE YOU LIKE BOW"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Onean posted:

Select or Start will screenshot the top screen.

There's a few ways to get it off your 3DS from there, I've used the Webrender site to upload to imgur. While I had issues logging in, the anonymous upload worked fine. There was another way someone else posted a while back, but I can't remember who it was.

After looking up if there were any newer ways, you can actually just e-mail yourself the image, gmail's site seems to work fine on the 3DS.

Nice, thanks! I just wanted to get in on the fashion show anyway. This is the best I can do with my limited tailoring abilities.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I got this a couple weeks ago, have mastered several Lifes and I'm 1 challenge away from being a Creator Paladin. Is there anyone around, or is there an IRC channel or something, that can help me kill the Ancient Dragon on Origin Island? He's a bit too much for Yuelia and Ophelia to handle. Also, Ophelia being a loving beast compared to Odin is hilarious to me.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kruller posted:

I got this a couple weeks ago, have mastered several Lifes and I'm 1 challenge away from being a Creator Paladin. Is there anyone around, or is there an IRC channel or something, that can help me kill the Ancient Dragon on Origin Island? He's a bit too much for Yuelia and Ophelia to handle. Also, Ophelia being a loving beast compared to Odin is hilarious to me.

You're better getting Fern (the Huntress mentor) to tag along with you instead of Yuelia if you've unlocked her friendship. She stays well back so she doesnt get killed easily, and unleashes hell with her bow and arrow in a very satisfying sort of manner.

I like to take Ophelia and her along with me when I go off to curbstomp some monsters in the Tower.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Irisi posted:

You're better getting Fern (the Huntress mentor) to tag along with you instead of Yuelia if you've unlocked her friendship. She stays well back so she doesnt get killed easily, and unleashes hell with her bow and arrow in a very satisfying sort of manner.

I like to take Ophelia and her along with me when I go off to curbstomp some monsters in the Tower.

I haven't even started Hunter yet. I'm stuck 243 trees away from Legend Woodcutter, 193 deposits away from Legend Miner, and a tedious amount of Tailoring away from Legend Blacksmith. Still having fun, though!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
As I was gearing up for the Creator Mercenary challenge, I took Cervantes and Miguel with me to the Trial of Darkness. That was a lot of fun, just three Swordbros kicking rear end up and down the tower. It was crap for bounties, though. I got to the Shadow Dragon and dropped my bounties down near the teleporter and went to town. Halfway through the battle I notice one of the whelps got loose and had destroyed all my bounties!

Oh well.

Flush with success from the Tower, the three Blademigos headed to the desert to "play with" the Lord of the Cursed, who proceeded to kick our poo poo in until I ran out of Life Cures and we had to head home.

I haven't spent a lot of time maxing out Lives yet. I'm Creator in Paladin, Mercenary, Hunter, Carpenter, and Woodcutter. I spent most of my time as a Hunter or bow user on the way up to the end of the game, only dabbling in swords here and there, so my Greatsword Skill hit level 12 (!) as I was up in the tower and I was able to equip the Odin's Sword I got from a Lunares Coin. Handy!

The DLC content has been so much fun so far.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
After starting as a Paladin, switching to Merc, and finally deciding on Hunter. Got my first Master life, as a Hunter.

Now to raise my Carpentry from Expert to Master and make a better bow.

Still haven't finished the story or unlocked the area with Cacto Cove. Imagine that's the next chapter of the story, though.

edit: three master lives. Hunter, Blacksmith, and Carpenter. Expert in Paladin, Merc, Tailor, Miner, Woodcutter, and Angler.

Rubicon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 5, 2015

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
"BY ROYAL DECREE, I INTRUDE HERE!"

I love the writing in this game.

Got Paladin to legend status and am about to open Origin Island.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Got Hunter to Creator, which made getting Paladin to Creator a hell of a lot easier. Now that I can murder basically anything I want with Ophelia and Fern, all those other classes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Got Paladin to Creator and am finishing up the DLC story. Not sure, if I'm gonna start up magician, work on getting hunter/blacksmith/carpenter to legend or creator, or start tackling the tower. Do you get Lunares coins from the tower?

edit: if anyone wants to party up and tackle some stuff, add me: 4656-8282-4997

Rubicon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 9, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Rubicon posted:

Got Paladin to Creator and am finishing up the DLC story. Not sure, if I'm gonna start up magician, work on getting hunter/blacksmith/carpenter to legend or creator, or start tackling the tower. Do you get Lunares coins from the tower?

Basically nope. Once you've done the Lunares Coin story runaround, Pam's quests give silver coins and the Life Masters give Gold coins through their post-Creator-Rank quests. 3 Gold coins for the first completion, 1 for every completion thereafter. And the eccentric dude who you chase for the Lunares Coin storyline will trade four silver for one gold if you choose the nice-seeming option when he asks you a question. I forget the question, but I remember thinking "Rewarded for not being a jerk!" So if he drops a coin or something and asks if you saw it, say yes!

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Old Greg posted:

Basically nope. Once you've done the Lunares Coin story runaround, Pam's quests give silver coins and the Life Masters give Gold coins through their post-Creator-Rank quests. 3 Gold coins for the first completion, 1 for every completion thereafter. And the eccentric dude who you chase for the Lunares Coin storyline will trade four silver for one gold if you choose the nice-seeming option when he asks you a question. I forget the question, but I remember thinking "Rewarded for not being a jerk!" So if he drops a coin or something and asks if you saw it, say yes!

I did this awhile ago, but IIRC I took the jerk option (I think it was him counting out the coins and you tell him you gave him three when you only gave him two thus far) and he's like "oh you outfoxed me I guess we can trade 4:1".

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005

Old Greg posted:

Ah. I tried the Ancient Nap Dragon. I'm not beating him anytime soon. Did 0-1 damage to him per strike. Gotta level up and get a better sword.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Accursed Walrus: Haha that's a great little gem of writing. Like cancelling a Life tutorial and getting a little spiel then all the tiems anyway!

Rubicon posted:

Ah. I tried the Ancient Nap Dragon. I'm not beating him anytime soon. Did 0-1 damage to him per strike. Gotta level up and get a better sword.

Same, and even at level 120 where I can max out Vitality and an attack stat I haven't tried any of the combat or gathering bosses. I can say if you have a crafting job at Creator go for those quests for sure. There's combat where they send you, but my Paladin was able to handle it. I absolutely love the Ancient Shield with +++ Guard, things go from 200 damage to 1 damage face tanking poo poo, it's great (until I need to risk attacking or run out of SP next to a boss). And the crafting is difficult, but eminently doable. I was able to fill up Special Skill to Creator then hand it in, although I don't think they require quality at all.

WEIRDLY SPECIFIC PRO-TIP THAT IS A FRAMING DEVICE FOR AN ANECDOTE: Don't try trial of light with only 5 Vitality!

I needed 1 Protection Stone to finish out Demi-Creator Tailoring and had stats in Focus, Int and Luck, so I figured I'd go hunter, slap on a bow, and let my companions face tank. And this actually worked fairly well! But it also meant if anything looked at me funny I died in two hits at lvl 110 or so and I probably burned through 30 Life cures and every last one of my potions. Luckily Alchemist was next on the Get-To-Creator train so restocking was a nice pit-stop on the way to lvl 15 Alchemy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Fishing in the Subterranean Lake is kind of driving me nuts. Is there really only one spot? I've reset the spot a bunch of times and constantly get the big fish in there. Last seven times, in fact. I've been sleeping or going into the ancient ruins to reset it.

I need to catch the eels and cave catfish. then it's onto hero.

• Locked thread