Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rubicon posted:

Fishing in the Subterranean Lake is kind of driving me nuts. Is there really only one spot? I've reset the spot a bunch of times and constantly get the big fish in there. Last seven times, in fact. I've been sleeping or going into the ancient ruins to reset it.

I need to catch the eels and cave catfish. then it's onto hero.

There's the spot at the beginning of the bridge area if you turn south immediately to get to the little island. Then if you follow that southern path around to the big island and keep hugging he eastern edge you'll find another spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
thank you. guess I was a little to fixated on the spot with the big fish to notice the one so near to it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rubicon posted:

thank you. guess I was a little to fixated on the spot with the big fish to notice the one so near to it.

It's ok, I didn't realize there were multiple fishing spots out in the desert for a long time.

Indigo Raven
Sep 1, 2008

HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN!
What about other fishing points on Mt Snowpeak? Is it just the one with the Coldwater Tuna or did I miss some others somewhere?

Also, just mastered Fishing and Mining. :3: Where did the past 50 hours go?

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Pam can be pretty unreasonable with her requests.

"Dear can you bring me 3 Bismuth Ingots?" Sure, lady, I'll bring you three of the Creator level special request ingots. That seems like a great deal for X amount of silver lunares coins.

Indigo Raven posted:

What about other fishing points on Mt Snowpeak? Is it just the one with the Coldwater Tuna or did I miss some others somewhere?

I've only noticed one fishing spot on Mt. Snowpeak, but see above posts for me missing obvious things.

edit: dammit, PAM! A Poseidon Swordfish??!! screw you lady!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Especially when she can also request poo poo from Terra Nimbus, or ten bugs.

All for the same 2 Silver Lunares coins.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Rubicon posted:

"Dear can you bring me 3 Bismuth Ingots?" Sure, lady, I'll bring you three of the Creator level special request ingots. That seems like a great deal for X amount of silver lunares coins.

The ingot respawns every day as long as the quest is active, although there's still the matter of reaching Creator Blacksmith in the first place.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i've just finished whatever main story chapter has you find the airship stuck in the tree and i'm wondering what i should ideally be doing just now in order to make things easier for me in the future.

My paladin has just reached the master level because i've been doing the challenges as i've unlocked new areas. I've not really hit any walls persay, but i think my biggest issues is the running around to get to certain areas. I switched to crafting for a little bit to try out some quick money making suggestions and while the nearby shops had some of the required materials, some involved me having to hoof it some distance just to pick something up.

I can't afford the holiday homes yet but i'm assuming they're the "teleport to x city" system?

Basically, as the paladin equipment is affordable in shops, should i just crack on with the main story, ignore anything else and worry about travel shortcuts/cash at the end before hitting all npc requests, etc?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kin posted:

So i've just finished whatever main story chapter has you find the airship stuck in the tree and i'm wondering what i should ideally be doing just now in order to make things easier for me in the future.

My paladin has just reached the master level because i've been doing the challenges as i've unlocked new areas. I've not really hit any walls persay, but i think my biggest issues is the running around to get to certain areas. I switched to crafting for a little bit to try out some quick money making suggestions and while the nearby shops had some of the required materials, some involved me having to hoof it some distance just to pick something up.

I can't afford the holiday homes yet but i'm assuming they're the "teleport to x city" system?

Basically, as the paladin equipment is affordable in shops, should i just crack on with the main story, ignore anything else and worry about travel shortcuts/cash at the end before hitting all npc requests, etc?

The postgame isn't stuff that happens before finishing the game; it's actual additional content, in the world, after roll credits. I don't know if you can actually miss anything in the game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The postgame isn't stuff that happens before finishing the game; it's actual additional content, in the world, after roll credits. I don't know if you can actually miss anything in the game.

What i mean is, do i unlock all the stuff like effortless ways of making truckloads of cash and fast travel points by playing through the main story and thus shouldn't bother with tedious low reward grinds when something far superior becomes available post main story.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

I wouldn't bother with grinding anything per se, but you actually make a bunch of money just working through the crafting classes. I think I'm at about the same point in the story as you, but I also have woodcutter/miner and smith/carpenter/tailor just a rank or two below master and I had enough money to buy the holiday homes with plenty to spare.

If the crafting stuff interests you at all, I'd highly suggest starting it sooner rather than later, so you don't have to do it all at once. It's a lot less tedious if you can switch between questing, combat challenges, and gathering/crafting challenges frequently.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Especially as a Paladin with points in Str and Vit I'd recommend Mining/Woodcutting and consequently Blacksmithing/Carpentry. As a straight Str/Vit/Luck Paladin I also kept leveling up Tailor to make my own cloth (a lot is needed for the other two production professions) but store-bought cloth will still make you a huge profit.

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪

Rubicon posted:

I've only noticed one fishing spot on Mt. Snowpeak, but see above posts for me missing obvious things.

edit: dammit, PAM! A Poseidon Swordfish??!! screw you lady!

Pam's requests are brutal. I read that the best way to get coins is the creator level special quests, especially if you like fishing!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kin posted:

What i mean is, do i unlock all the stuff like effortless ways of making truckloads of cash and fast travel points by playing through the main story and thus shouldn't bother with tedious low reward grinds when something far superior becomes available post main story.

Fast travel is only the holiday homes, your master, the guild office, and one more spot. It's worth it to level crafting classes to get cash. Once I actually bothered, the only time I started running low on cash was when I was too lazy to make any materials I needed or bought a bunch of expensive stuff I didn't want to farm.

My problem now is the special requests are brutal. I maxed out my stats for mining, have a really strong pickaxe, and have the +20 tool power shirt from a statue and I can't even make a dent on the request rock. All 0, even with a Creator powered special skill.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Kruller posted:

Fast travel is only the holiday homes, your master, the guild office, and one more spot. It's worth it to level crafting classes to get cash. Once I actually bothered, the only time I started running low on cash was when I was too lazy to make any materials I needed or bought a bunch of expensive stuff I didn't want to farm.

I found that i can buy the ingredients for Beast armor right outside the smithy so i managed to make like 150,000 dosh in about a half hour that way. It was tedious as gently caress though even with Auto+.

I figure some of the alchemy items might be easier do do because you can buy and sell in bulk although i'm not sure you get as much dosh per item as you do with the armor.

I just finished the main story and i'm level 38. I was thinking about trying to do some of my master paladin tasks but they involve killing bosses who i only do tiny fractions of damage to. I managed to eventually beat the nap-dragon but the golden dragon is nigh impossible.

What should my next steps be?

I've maxed out my strength to level 50 so i figure i need to get better weapons. Should I just ignore the paladin quests for now and switch to my other jobs to gain the exp to level to 50 and then head over to the DLC?

I'm assuming that i'll be able to buy weapons/gear that make the regular game bosses a piece of cake?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kin posted:

I found that i can buy the ingredients for Beast armor right outside the smithy so i managed to make like 150,000 dosh in about a half hour that way. It was tedious as gently caress though even with Auto+.

I figure some of the alchemy items might be easier do do because you can buy and sell in bulk although i'm not sure you get as much dosh per item as you do with the armor.

I just finished the main story and i'm level 38. I was thinking about trying to do some of my master paladin tasks but they involve killing bosses who i only do tiny fractions of damage to. I managed to eventually beat the nap-dragon but the golden dragon is nigh impossible.

What should my next steps be?

I've maxed out my strength to level 50 so i figure i need to get better weapons. Should I just ignore the paladin quests for now and switch to my other jobs to gain the exp to level to 50 and then head over to the DLC?

I'm assuming that i'll be able to buy weapons/gear that make the regular game bosses a piece of cake?

I'd switchup jobs if I were you, yeah. You'll be able to make bonza cash if you level up tailor and can start churning out Umbral/Light robes, plus you can start adding all the extras to your weapons and clothes to give them snazzy bonus powers.

The post-game stuff gives you access to lovely weapons, but they're super-expensive and often you can't equip them until you're like, Level 12-15 in that skill.

I'd leave the Golden Dragon until you're past level 50, and would recommend you take Odin/Ophelia and Yuelia. Someone tanklike and terrifying, plus a healer.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

If I'm just starting out, is there pretty much any negative consequence to switching out classes willy-nilly to test stuff out? I've got a fat pile of resources in my storage courtesy of just running about beating on things as a mercenary, and I figure the best thing to do with that is to change to a different class and craft stuff with them till the stockpile's empty.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

5er posted:

If I'm just starting out, is there pretty much any negative consequence to switching out classes willy-nilly to test stuff out? I've got a fat pile of resources in my storage courtesy of just running about beating on things as a mercenary, and I figure the best thing to do with that is to change to a different class and craft stuff with them till the stockpile's empty.
Nope, go nuts. Switching classes frequently seems like it's how the game was designed to be played.

The only real issue is you might get sick of running through the same areas multiple times to complete quests.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

5er posted:

Unlock all the combat classes right away, because most of them don't require you to BE that class to get their challenges done. Mage is by far the most tedious, due to having to use charged skills to kill poo poo. I've been sitting 5 challenges from Legendary for ages just because I don't want to do it, and I can't bring Ophelia and Fern with me because they just kill everything.

Overall, I found Hunter to be the easiest combat class to get Creator rank on, because the final thing to kill was relatively easier than the other two I've done so far. Getting Creator rank on one makes the others incredibly easy to finish. Also, getting Creator on Hunter first gives you Fern, and the thread isn't kidding when it says she's a monster. She is constantly interrupting attacks and doing good damage while she's at it. Ophelia, while taking a long time to hit, hits ludicrously hard when she does, and can take a beating. Most difficult fights for me have been running around avoiding combat while those two rip poo poo up, and then waking either of them up when they get wrecked. I haven't even stepped foot into the trials yet, either. Once I can get the respec mirror I might actually try it.

FYI cooking is probably the worst to level, just because you can make max 2 things, and it isn't consistent with wanting 1 or 3 or 5 things made. At least it isn't tailoring with its stupid lack of a "hold a" station. I'm bad a timing.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

5er posted:

You figure 100% correctly! The only good reason to stick with one combat class is so you can keep the same skill point loadout, but if you can craft it, you're good! And it's obscenely easy to make money in this game if you take gathering professions so go hog wild and respec every night if you want. 30k quickly becomes chump change once you beat the main story.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Old Greg posted:

You figure 100% correctly! The only good reason to stick with one combat class is so you can keep the same skill point loadout, but if you can craft it, you're good! And it's obscenely easy to make money in this game if you take gathering professions so go hog wild and respec every night if you want. 30k quickly becomes chump change once you beat the main story.

It becomes chump change until you realize you spent all your Dosh on the supplies you needed for high level crafts and forgot to respec. Or are taking a jaunt into Alchemist to get all the sp potions you need as a Witch. (There's never enough. :argh: )

But it's not like you don't have assloads of low level stuff chilling in your cabinet to quickly make it up anyways.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Irisi posted:

I'd switchup jobs if I were you, yeah. You'll be able to make bonza cash if you level up tailor and can start churning out Umbral/Light robes, plus you can start adding all the extras to your weapons and clothes to give them snazzy bonus powers.

The post-game stuff gives you access to lovely weapons, but they're super-expensive and often you can't equip them until you're like, Level 12-15 in that skill.

I'd leave the Golden Dragon until you're past level 50, and would recommend you take Odin/Ophelia and Yuelia. Someone tanklike and terrifying, plus a healer.

Cool, I'm on the expert level of tailoring and i've gotten blacksmithing and carpenter up to master. Umbral is hero though right? Are the ingredients easy to come by to make the gear en masse? The wiki says i have to finish Origin island beofre i have access to a vendor that sells the ingredients for those.

The one things that's been bugging me since i started playing this game is that i've never been able to fine a concise list of what items i need to have on my to plough through all of the quests for a crafting life.

Like, i don't' know why i'm having to jump through so many hoops to find things online when a simple list of "you need x of a and x of b and x of c in total", along with the guy that sells them or where to find them. It seems like it would be much less of a hassle if i could run around and buy/find all the gear i need to completely rank up the life without having to check multiple ingame screens or try and remember what it is i have to craft, if I've got enough ingredients and how many i might need. Especially when some ingredients are needed for multiple items.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Kin posted:

Like, i don't' know why i'm having to jump through so many hoops to find things online when a simple list of "you need x of a and x of b and x of c in total", along with the guy that sells them or where to find them. It seems like it would be much less of a hassle if i could run around and buy/find all the gear i need to completely rank up the life without having to check multiple ingame screens or try and remember what it is i have to craft, if I've got enough ingredients and how many i might need. Especially when some ingredients are needed for multiple items.

Gatherer is probably exactly what you need. http://www.reveriaexplorer.com/gatherer

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
This might help, you'll have to do some of it manually though.

http://www.reveriaexplorer.com/gatherer

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jesus shitballs that's exactly what i need. Amazing, thanks.

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪

Kruller posted:

My problem now is the special requests are brutal. I maxed out my stats for mining, have a really strong pickaxe, and have the +20 tool power shirt from a statue and I can't even make a dent on the request rock. All 0, even with a Creator powered special skill.

Hey there Kruller, I think I remember you from the ACNL thread. A note about the special requests: (1) They are extremely brutal (2) They typically require a special item (i.e. Spirit Pickaxe). If you'd like me to craft you something, let me know! :D

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪

Kin posted:

Cool, I'm on the expert level of tailoring and i've gotten blacksmithing and carpenter up to master. Umbral is hero though right? Are the ingredients easy to come by to make the gear en masse? The wiki says i have to finish Origin island beofre i have access to a vendor that sells the ingredients for those.

The one things that's been bugging me since i started playing this game is that i've never been able to fine a concise list of what items i need to have on my to plough through all of the quests for a crafting life.

Btw, go to the Menu, hit Licenses. From here you can view Challenges and Creations. These are EXTREMELY useful. You are able to view recipes from all the crafting lives and all the combat quests. I hope this makes the game a little less frustrating. In other words, you can roam the world as a Mercenary and use this menu to view the materials you need to collect for the Chef's quests.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

M3V posted:

Btw, go to the Menu, hit Licenses. From here you can view Challenges and Creations. These are EXTREMELY useful. You are able to view recipes from all the crafting lives and all the combat quests. I hope this makes the game a little less frustrating. In other words, you can roam the world as a Mercenary and use this menu to view the materials you need to collect for the Chef's quests.

Yeah, I was doing that but it's still fairly obtuse. With all the information spread over multiple menus. The ingredients/your inventory should have been shown on a challenge in a different panel by pressing the x button just like when you're shopping.

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪

Kin posted:

Yeah, I was doing that but it's still fairly obtuse. With all the information spread over multiple menus. The ingredients/your inventory should have been shown on a challenge in a different panel by pressing the x button just like when you're shopping.

You're right, it is tedious for figuring out what you need, what you have already, where to find it, etc. I get frustrated when I destroy a boss and the bounty is destroyed by another enemy or my own attack. I am especially annoyed when it is destroyed by an ally. :argh:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Kin posted:

Completely agreed. I ended up doing all my crafting with a spreadsheet open, recording challenges and also mats I needed to buy and deleting them once completed. Also a shopkeeper and item drop FAQ open as well. Which, thanks GameFAQs, but I was surprised there weren't any Life guides to walk you through it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Old Greg posted:

Which, thanks GameFAQs, but I was surprised there weren't any Life guides to walk you through it.

Yeah, that's what's surprised me the most. I've not had a chance to properly look at that tool linked above, but i'm baffled why a game like this hasn't had some sperg write a massive "to-do" list for all the crafting lives combined in the order that you can find items and how many you should get while in a particular area.

Like, "First time in port royal": Buy 25 cashmere, 15 wool from shopkeeper, buy 32 logs from the other shopkeeper. Head to Tortuga, grab 12 bluebells and buy 15 mcguffins and 20 mcsquiggles from the nearly hidden shop guy in the top right.

A similar thing can be done with the harvesting lives. Like head to x area, chop down y trees, head into x cave and mine x ores, come back in the evening and beat x enemy for a particular drop [area harvesting/material collection complete].

I mean sure, i've seen that some of the hero+ ranks require to you cross produce materials for other lives or some such, but up until the Hero rank it's literally a case of go to [place] and find [item] from what i've seen so far.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Seriously, look at that tool linked above, and the other features on that site. It does almost exactly that, just that you have to manually tell it what you need through either challenges, recipes or raw items.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
So I picked this up awhile back and I've loved it so far, I'm about level 25 or so. I plan on purchasing the DLC; I know it's mostly post-game stuff but am I missing out on anything not having it before 50/main story completion?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Catts posted:

So I picked this up awhile back and I've loved it so far, I'm about level 25 or so. I plan on purchasing the DLC; I know it's mostly post-game stuff but am I missing out on anything not having it before 50/main story completion?

You can gain friendship level with people you party with, which improves their stats pretty significantly. There's not a lot of early game benefit, but if you already know you're getting it, you may as well.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Snowpeak/waterfall caves, the really big crystal formation to mine... Does that come back later?

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

5er posted:

Snowpeak/waterfall caves, the really big crystal formation to mine... Does that come back later?

Yes; just sleep!

All of the big trees/mineral deposits and boss monsters like the nap dragon respawn when you sleep.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This game is pretty fun. gently caress the controls, though - I am firmly in the "everything should be button-accessible" camp. Am I missing something?

(It's really fun, so I can't complain too loudly. It's like a clunky Rune Factory!)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Level 5 is going to show off Fantasy Life 2 next month at their Level 5 Vision event next month. "Show off" might just mean an animated trailer or something though, but either way it's coming.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Level 5 is going to show off Fantasy Life 2 next month at their Level 5 Vision event next month. "Show off" might just mean an animated trailer or something though, but either way it's coming.

Yay! Here's hoping it's for the 3DS, it's translated to English ASAP and it's as goshdarn adorable and fun as this one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Interesting. Hopefully they do something with the save file stored on the cart.

Like maybe you inherit some special items or something.

I'd also love it if they expanded the jobs a little, maybe add in a farming life (different regions have different lands that produce different crops) that's a bit more like harvest moon or something.

Oh and expand the property system. Give me a home with multiple floors I can expand and upgrade and add shops/work benches to our something. Maybe with a tree planting garden and an expandable mine so that materials can be easily harvested.

Or let me be a king or something and let me build up a town into a kingdom like little kings story on the wii :D

• Locked thread