Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win season 25?
This poll is closed.
#SoulSurfers 8 15.09%
#TeamNashville 1 1.89%
#TheWrestlers 9 16.98%
#TheDatingCouple 1 1.89%
#TheCyclists 2 3.77%
#MiamiRealtors 1 1.89%
#MomDaughter 3 5.66%
#TheFirefighters 6 11.32%
#SweetScientists 9 16.98%
#CollegeSweethearts 5 9.43%
#TheDentists 8 15.09%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"I completely trust the person who just betrayed me ten minutes ago."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
The fast forward being exactly what they do was bullshit and made me very sad. It felt wrong. Of course it didn't help that it also eliminated the cyclist who seemed like they made a sound decision. They had a 40 minute lead going into a task they looked like they were about to manage. I also think its bullshit b/c it's possible that I have a huge mancrush on Kym of the cyclists.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
Sometimes tasks just line up perfectly with a teams skillset. There was a task in the last TAR Canada that had teams suit up in hockey equipment, skate through some pylons and try to score. Needless to say, the two members of Canada's Olympic women's hockey team did pretty well. The tasks and route are probably set up well before the teams are chosen, it's just unfortunate that the Cyclists couldn't nail the task in time.

I just noticed that the top four teams from the poll are the last teams remaining, that's pretty cool.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah, I'm not one to believe these things are fixed or anything like that. But it does feel super unsatisfying to watch when a special challenge to get a huge advantage caters directly to one team that does that task professionally.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Rockzilla posted:

Sometimes tasks just line up perfectly with a teams skillset. There was a task in the last TAR Canada that had teams suit up in hockey equipment, skate through some pylons and try to score. Needless to say, the two members of Canada's Olympic women's hockey team did pretty well.

No they didn't, they were terrible. Took them like sixty shots to hit the five-hole.

I rolled my eyes when they announced the task but it turned out just fine.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

pokeyman posted:

No they didn't, they were terrible. Took them like sixty shots to hit the five-hole.

Oh yeah, the only time that I remembered them being terrible at something was the grilled cheese challenge.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Last season there was a detour task that involved spinning things. Two of the racers were Harlem Globetrotters, and completely wrecked that task, gaining several places in the process (I think they went from last to first or second, but I might be misremembering) :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The surfing task didn't bother me. After all there was a bike riding task earlier in the season where the cyclists were the only ones who had ever rode the weird bike that they said was crazy hard.

Besides, the surfers have been literally playing one arm short all season so I don't mind them catching a break.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On top of all that, I think the cyclists were well suited to task involving balance anyway. They weren't going to waltz through it like the surfers, but within half an hour they had come drat close to getting it down and I suspect a lot of the teams wouldn't do nearly as well.

We were horrified by the massage techniques used in the episode. What they were doing is not good for you. And in next week's preview you could see that the teams who went through it were still bruised from it.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 1, 2014

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I look forward to the "Clean this person's teeth" roadblock.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The massage task was actually the one that bothered me since there was no agency to it. The first team to get there would be the first team to leave provided they didn't quit. I don't like the idea of a task that doesn't provide a way for teams to move past one another. I guess the scientists could have called a timeout or something but it just seemed really odd to me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The massage task was creepy. Cut the pretence, just string the teams up to a pole and have passers-by take turns whipping them for 20 minutes.

Or would that be considered too insensitive to their host country?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I would've been a lot more upset about the surfing challenge if it had been a road block, detour, or some other required task.

But the fact that it was a Fast Forward makes it a bit different. The surfers ALMOST didn't even go to it, because they figured someone else would've gone first. The cyclists very well COULD have completed it before the surfers even got there, rendering the whole thing moot and costing the surfers the game.

There's a layer of strategy there that makes it not such a clear-cut advantage than if it were a mandatory task.

STAC Goat posted:

The massage task was actually the one that bothered me since there was no agency to it. The first team to get there would be the first team to leave provided they didn't quit. I don't like the idea of a task that doesn't provide a way for teams to move past one another. I guess the scientists could have called a timeout or something but it just seemed really odd to me.

That's part of detour strategy though. In this case it was "Do this task that is a guaranteed time sink" or "Do this task that could be faster or slower than the other one depending on your skill level." The show's had plenty of detours structured that way over the years and I think it's a fair decision to put to the racers. The agency isn't in the massage task itself but in deciding whether or not the massage task will take LESS time than the other one for that particular team.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 1, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The surfing challenge itself didn't bother me. The fact that it was a Fast Forward really did though. I can understand it being a road block or a detour, but making it a Fast Forward when those have such a great advantage and such potential for disaster made it seem really unfair.

Honestly though, I don't know why you even go attempt that knowing the Surfers are still in the race.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Joose Caboose posted:

Yeah, I'm not one to believe these things are fixed or anything like that. But it does feel super unsatisfying to watch when a special challenge to get a huge advantage caters directly to one team that does that task professionally.

Good thing there wasn't an earlier task involving cycling through a busy city. Oh wait...

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The clue directing teams to the Fast Forward doesn't say what the task is, it just tells them where to go. Adam & Bethany were just lucky with their guess based off the name of the place. For all they knew, the task might have been something like "Search this entire nearby beach for a yellow pebble", or maybe they could have just been surprised with another head shave. Or the Fast Forward could have been "Walk on your hands".

pokeyman posted:

The massage task was creepy. Cut the pretence, just string the teams up to a pole and have passers-by take turns whipping them for 20 minutes.

Or would that be considered too insensitive to their host country?

They're in Singapore, they should have had a caning task.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Andorra posted:

They're in Singapore, they should have had a caning task.

That would've given the wrestlers an advantage though :v:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Sad to see the cyclists go, but I'm hoping they can come back for an all-star season.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Aw yeah, looking forward to MY OX IS BROKEN! part 2 tonight.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Boo! The wrestlers live on.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

"Your flight leaves at 19:25"

"What time is that in American?"

I love how dumb the wrestlers are.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Forgot again. Goddammit!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm glad it was non-elimination, because a needle in a haystack challenge to determine who is in the final 3 would have been awful.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
As much as I hate Brooke, I cannot fault her gagging and retching. I spent my first nine years in that country and it stinks. A lovely bouquet of burning trash and human waste. I don't think I would have stepped into that water either.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maya reminds me of Urkel's wife

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
With the cyclists gone, I'm cheering on the Wrestlers to win. Brooke being whiny doesn't bother me because they're still more fun to watch than any other team. I felt this way about Rachel and Boyfriend last season as well.

At this point, I'll be pleased if any team that isn't the Dentists wins. I've disliked the Dentists from the start and they haven't grown on me even a little bit. Misti isn't as bad as Jim, but her Southern faux-politeness is beginning to grate on me. Anyone who discusses the countries they've visited by how comparatively "clean" they are is an rear end in a top hat

Having said all that, this has been a way better season than the previous one and I like it.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Yes, this is a great season. For me, the Dentists winning will just be the boring option. I won't be upset at them winning, I just think it will be boring since they're the most dominant team.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hated the dentists at first, but Adam and Bethany are the only other team I could see winning that I wouldn't view as a cheap win.

As much as I find the dentists annoying, they've earned it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Calling a Beekman Boys ending with Food Scientists winning without ever winning a leg.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The Wrestlers are awesome, and I hope they win :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everytime I see a teaser for the next episode it seems like its promising the Dentists do something interesting or endearing and then the next episode comes and I end up hitting rewind because I figure I must have missed it. There's just nothing engaging or enjoyable about them. They're obviously strong competitors and if they win they earned it even with that silly pass. But they're clearly good.

They're just not fun or interesting or rootable.

The Surfers are rootable because Bethany is kind of amazing.
The Scientists are rootable because they seem like smart, cool people and they're pretty obvious underdogs in this field.
The Wrestlers are rootable because they're big doofy dummies and its a lot of fun to watch. Even Brooke's whining has just kind of become comical to me.

Personally I think they're all "deserving" winners so there's none of that in play, I just would be bored if the Dentists win because they're boring. The other three would all entertain me in some way.

But the Cyclists should have been the winners.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ew. No. The cyclists were even more obnoxious than the dentists and their elimination was only just slightly less satisfying than the dumb Survivor people.

I hate the dentists less than I did when the season began, I suppose. But I still don't like them and really really don't want them to win.

The rest of the teams are fun and good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My big issue with the Dentists is that they come across like they can easily afford to do this traveling on their own, so they never seem to care or appreciate where they are or what they're doing unless they're sitting on a boat/in a car forced to do so. Everyone else seems genuinely excited for the experience and they just seem 100% focused on winning to the point that it makes me want them to lose.

They're quite good and I really appreciate the tenacity with which they approach the race and the fact that they never seem to want to poo poo on other teams to get themselves ahead, but they're just so robotic with their focus on winning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I am an anti-dentite. I just don't like those two.

I'll miss the cyclists though, and I hate cyclists. They were a fun team that was hated for no reason. I'm fine with anyone winning though really.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Would have been sweet if the Globetrotters had this detour. Not cause they'd dominate it, but because they'd just have so much fun with it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
"Our faith in Jesus is what makes us who we were."

If Jesus loved you a shark probably wouldn't have eaten 20% of you.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Alright that twist is pretty sweet

Edit: The continue immediately part, not the extra non-elimination

Joose Caboose fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 13, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
That was a fun episode.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

They should fire whoever thought it was a good idea to have detours this season where the tasks aren't described and teams are just forced to guess which one they attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Next season, no eliminations until the final episode! An exciting twist!

• Locked thread