Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Sephiroth was basically just a kid throwing a tantrum.

Kefka had a multilayred plot which would make a schizophrenic conspiracy nut blush at how well he manipulated the governments of the world into doing his bidding to achieve his goal of becoming a mad god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kylra posted:

Sephiroth was basically just a kid throwing a tantrum.

Kefka had a multilayred plot which would make a schizophrenic conspiracy nut blush at how well he manipulated the governments of the world into doing his bidding to achieve his goal of becoming a mad god.

this but in reverse

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
Did anyone else think the Emperor's Sprite looked like a dog. I always thought he was a dog the entire time like the wolf sprite thief guys.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Hoodrich posted:

Did anyone else think the Emperor's Sprite looked like a dog. I always thought he was a dog the entire time like the wolf sprite thief guys.
Wait, the emperor wasn't a goddog?

E: Typo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry guys, Caius was the best villain because he was a glam rocker and destroyed the world by chewing the scenery incredibly hard.

Incidentally, 13-2 is the best FF because it is a 60 hour buildup to the best punchline in the series.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Is the punchline that you bought FF13-2?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

darealkooky posted:

it's not really nihilistic to fight back against ppl trying to kill you

At least it's a loving ethos.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
jeesus you are all wrong about the zozo tower. you did it with superballs and gogo, then the enemys never attack you and you can powerlevel.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

how did kefka destroy the world when the ending says that humanity is fine and can recover, OP? pretty sure they just need to find the terraforming esper or something and it'll be like nothing happened

meanwhile before the spinoffs ruined it the ending to ff7 is ambiguous about if humanity was killed by holy or not, meaning he has a 50/50 chance of being directly responsible for the genocide of all humankind. Kefka was like the god of magic or whatever and he couldn't even be bothered to finish the job, sephiroth was just a really strong dude

other cool things sephiroth did:

- kill what the game was setting up to be the bad guy (president shinra) by turning his office into something out of a horror game
- take the snake that unless you know exactly what you're doing is literally impossible to beat and left it violently impaled on a 50 foot spike so you run into it and see how badass he is
- in the flashback he kills giant dragons that kill could in one hit in one hit
- kills the most useful party member after making cloud slap the poo poo out of her
- personally fucks with the player by making the bit where cloud has to hand over the black materia via mind control something the player has input on, only the players inputs don't do anything besides make cloud spaz out and deliver it a little slower
- have at least three good reasons on why he's such an rear end in a top hat. meanwhile kefka just has "he got superpowers but it made him TOTALLY CRAZY and nhilistic" like the reject batman villian he is

Man I always forget that there was a time when there was no Compilation of FF7 to ruin it

Dirge of Cerberus was the only fun thing to come out of that and it still ruined the story

Maybe that Turks game but it was a jap cellphone exclusive so like negative 3 people in the world played it

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Concordat posted:

Is the punchline that you bought FF13-2?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
rename everyone in your save KEFKA

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hoodrich posted:

I still can't not see a dog when i look at his sprite

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

ForeverSmug posted:

Man I always forget that there was a time when there was no Compilation of FF7 to ruin it

Dirge of Cerberus was the only fun thing to come out of that and it still ruined the story

Maybe that Turks game but it was a jap cellphone exclusive so like negative 3 people in the world played it

crisis core was pretty rad because you played as the only cool person in the entire story

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I still can't not see a dog when i look at his sprite
Same.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

crisis core was pretty rad because you played as the only cool person in the entire story

I bought crisis core and did not play it once

But I don't think you play as cait sith in that game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ForeverSmug posted:

Uh thinking Dirge of Cerberus is the best spinoff when it is terrible and Crisis Core exists!!

Crisis Core did have a weird like, 30% of the story though.

Like it follows pretty clearly events outlined in FF7 for the first chunk with some additions but no big deal. Then a big event happens that is part of Cloud's story in FF7. Then a bunch of made up bullshit with a self insert character literally modeled after a JROCK star happens, and he turns out to be another Sephiroth or something. Then yuo kill him and it goes back to telling the FF7 prequel story and pretends that chunk didn't happen

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
crisis core is way worse then dirge of cerberus because crisis core blows a big nasty square enix retcon bukakke all over ff7, while for the most part dirge has the least important party member off dealing with New Dumb poo poo and only ruins the ambiguous ending

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

the dog emperor

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Concordat posted:

the dog emperor

Barkarris, Doge, canine planet

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i dont play jrpgs and havent played FFs, but I looked up this exdeath chap because of what some dude on page one said and the name of the hero in FFV is Bartz Klauser. thats such an awesome name

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

VideoGames posted:

i dont play jrpgs and havent played FFs, but I looked up this exdeath chap because of what some dude on page one said and the name of the hero in FFV is Bartz Klauser. thats such an awesome name

in early translations his name was butz

from the town of lix

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Exdeath is a pretty boring villain, and FF5 has a pretty boring story, but its mechanics make up for it.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Exdeath is a pretty boring villain, and FF5 has a pretty boring story, but its mechanics make up for it.

I feel like FFV stands mostly on the characters bullshitting with each other and being goofy

serious RPG stories are pretty boring as a whole I mean look at ff8 or ff7 versus something doofy like 10-2

motha fuckin

charlie's angels vs the emo clone of yuna's fake boyfriend

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
ff7 has a good villian because it has 2 villians- 1. sephiroth. he spends most of the game in an "ascended" state of knowledge and is actually pretty chill for the most part. 2. shinra who have all the best characters. heideggar is my main man. with all of shinra combined, you pretty much cover all the possible villain archetypes. kefka is parts of rufus, sephiroth, scarlet and a dash of don corneo.

anyway, sephiroth isn't so bad. also kefka's character art is effeminate as well- there is no escaping this quality in japan i think.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

WAH HOH HOH HO HO HO WOH

(that is how his laugh is spelled)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Kefka poisoned a well and thats p swell

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

ForeverSmug posted:

I bought crisis core and did not play it once

But I don't think you play as cait sith in that game

Actually, you do.

E: Somehow I misread that as being about Dirge of Cerberus. Never mind.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Dirge of cerberus is good and cool

It is the best Japanese shooter that isn't bullet witch (binary domain don't count)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bathroomrage posted:

in early translations his name was butz

from the town of lix

you are making GBS threads me that is fantastic. why would they change that?
i guess if i ever play an FF then i will have to use Butz Lix as the main characters name.

my best friend used to be into ff7 so much that he called cloud by his own name and i didn't own it or know you could do that, so for the longest time (and being an idiot child) i really thought it was a story about Tifa, Aerith, Barret and Chris.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

ForeverSmug posted:

Dirge of cerberus is good and cool

It is the best Japanese shooter that isn't bullet witch (binary domain don't count)

wrong, vanquish

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sephiroth's a douchebag... Ah, fuckin... Dude! Kefka would stomp Sephiroth threefold!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only things Sephiroth did in the entire game was kill a dragon anyone else could past level 25, burn a town, and linger in the bottom of a crater while waiting for Cloud to mosey. He also got punked by a low-level character.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

thanks for confirming

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

VideoGames posted:

you are making GBS threads me that is fantastic. why would they change that?
i guess if i ever play an FF then i will have to use Butz Lix as the main characters name.

I have no idea why they changed it given all of the other goofy poo poo in that game. It's also the most fun FF to actually play.

Seriously go play the GBA version if you can it's really good

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

bathroomrage posted:

I have no idea why they changed it given all of the other goofy poo poo in that game. It's also the most fun FF to actually play.

Seriously go play the GBA version if you can it's really good

the sound & music is loving atrocious :barf:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

SGR posted:

the sound & music is loving atrocious :barf:

not really on the ffv port but whatever gets your inner nerd all in a twist

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

if you think Sephiroth’s desire to live on forever while ruling the world was a foolish, unattainable yearning that died along with him, you are sadly mistaken. Even in death, even decades after the fact, even when there are no living Meteorfall survivors anymore, Sephiroth will still be present in society, and isn’t that as good as godhood anyway?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

serious post does any other game apart from ffvi have you lose so spectacularly badly halfway through?? there's a loving apocalypse and it only picks again up a year after the event and it's like final fantasy fallout or something

I don't remember the details but Tales of Symphonia used like every single plot twist imaginable so it probably had something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I don't remember the details but Tales of Symphonia used like every single plot twist imaginable so it probably had something like that.
you kind of 'lose' at the end of the first act when kratos betrays you and you're tossed into a world you have no idea about but then you meet zelos and he gives you the guided tour and everything's cool

• Locked thread