Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Upon reflection I think that Tim coming back to Tackleford can only be a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I remember reading a comment John Allison made in one of the print books of Scary Go Round that the reason he packed Tim off to Wales was because he's far too good at resolving the plot. If Tim becomes aware of shenanigans going down in Tackleford then he tends to get things sorted out pretty quick. That's why he was always going off to conventions or spending time mayoring, as ways to keep him out of the main story.

And for no particular reason, my favourite Ryan moment. I can't believe it's been over fifteen years since this one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

New previews page! Better update the OP with the new :siren:HYPE BOX:siren:!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Wyld Karde posted:

I remember reading a comment John Allison made in one of the print books of Scary Go Round that the reason he packed Tim off to Wales was because he's far too good at resolving the plot. If Tim becomes aware of shenanigans going down in Tackleford then he tends to get things sorted out pretty quick. That's why he was always going off to conventions or spending time mayoring, as ways to keep him out of the main story.

And for no particular reason, my favourite Ryan moment. I can't believe it's been over fifteen years since this one.

Tell us more about the exciting year 2018. :allears:

Anyway Expecting to Fly is so, so good and so, so sad. :smith:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Would... would a kid actually get expelled for something that is undoubtedly an accident? Like, even Ol Knotty the teacher here doesn't seem inclined towards vindictiveness at all, he likes these kids.

The development works really well in this story, don't get me wrong -- unreasonably reactionary adults fit easily within my suspension of disbelief, especially in the fantastical SGR universe. But in real life, the school system would be more understanding, right? How inclined to expel are typical british schools?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I seem to recall that the poetry-scholarship-he-never-knew-about also happened to the late lamented Carrot Scruggs.

(Although after the everybody-dies finale got Michael-Jackson'd to oblivion, I guess he isn't actually late.)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ditocoaf posted:

Would... would a kid actually get expelled for something that is undoubtedly an accident? Like, even Ol Knotty the teacher here doesn't seem inclined towards vindictiveness at all, he likes these kids.

The development works really well in this story, don't get me wrong -- unreasonably reactionary adults fit easily within my suspension of disbelief, especially in the fantastical SGR universe. But in real life, the school system would be more understanding, right? How inclined to expel are typical british schools?

Well, creating some kind of insane projectile-launching fire contraption on school grounds is probably frowned upon by the people above Knotty's head.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fairly sure the UK was still in the Thatcher mentality by the time this story was happening.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rand Brittain posted:

I seem to recall that the poetry-scholarship-he-never-knew-about also happened to the late lamented Carrot Scruggs.

(Although after the everybody-dies finale got Michael-Jackson'd to oblivion, I guess he isn't actually late.)

I thought Hugo told the scholarship people that he was the late Carrot Scruggs, because he didn't want to lose him as a worker? Hugo is kind of a dick.

I wonder-since Ryan never finished school, how'd he get certified as a teacher? I imagine you need to have finished secondary school for that (I know he was at the Open University in SGR, but still). I wonder if Knotty helped him get his job? Who knows, maybe that's why he became a teacher in the first place.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Oh hey. Van-Dyke has an actual name now instead of a hackneyed reference.

He still looks insufferable. Dude loving deserves psychopathic Holly and totally did back in the old strips where he's older.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Friendship has boundaries.

To think there would be no Scary Go Round comic in the first place without Ole Knotty.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Saoshyant posted:

Friendship has boundaries.

I think I like Amy's way of putting it better:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder-since Ryan never finished school, how'd he get certified as a teacher? I imagine you need to have finished secondary school for that (I know he was at the Open University in SGR, but still). I wonder if Knotty helped him get his job? Who knows, maybe that's why he became a teacher in the first place.

Maybe this is working up to filling in that blank? It'd be a natural segue.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Headache no one needs is a pretty good description of Shelley, all things considered.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Autonomous Monster posted:

"Green for good match"

*does everything in her power to keep him away from Gibbous Moon*

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Autonomous Monster posted:

D'aww, she drew his name in a heart :3: That arrow is pointing right toward her name on the sheet, too; I recall Allison saying after finishing SGR that he had planned early on for Ryan to end up with either Amy or Shelley, and it seems like he had made his decision by this point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
B-But Inconcievable Physical Union!

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
http://scarygoround.tumblr.com/post/101680603728/goodbye-bad-machinery

Oh. :smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, indeed. I guess it lasted nearly five years? I'll certainly miss coherent stories around those kids.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm ok with this. Bobbins to Scary-Go-Round was a big improvement, then Scary-Go-Round to Bad Machinery also worked out well. Whatever JA has in store for us after this upcoming Bobbins revisit is going to be good as well, I trust him.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Updated OP with a relevant ELO song.

Predicting the victim of the sequel to Murder She Writes will be Babs McChinnery.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

We better get more Mildred! :argh:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rincewind posted:

We better get more Mildred! :argh:

Yeah, now that I think about it, that's the greatest shame of The Modern Men being the last case -- it had Mildred backgrounded! It didn't seem so bad for "just one chapter", but for the last chapter... :(

Oh well! That's the way of it! John Allison isn't going anywhere, so we'll still get cool stuff I'm sure.

This might be a good time for a SGR archive binge.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I'm not really surprised by this, you could tell he was straining against the rules for "Bad Machinery" that he had set out, which were 100 page stand alone cases, Scary-go-Round alumni at most minor supporting roles/cameos, and (don't quote me on this) no Shelley.

So we ended up with a odd situation with the Bad Machinery/Bobbins split to keep the Famous Five aesthetic while exploring wider Tackleford and the older characters.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I wonder if this means he's gonna repost all the side-comics that aren't on the site anymore.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Republican Vampire posted:

I wonder if this means he's gonna repost all the side-comics that aren't on the site anymore.

He's mentioned on twitter that he'd like for scarygoround.com to be a better hub for all his past work, but he hasn't been able to dedicate the time/energy to tidy it up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jackard posted:

"Green for good match"

*does everything in her power to keep him away from Gibbous Moon*

Leroy Dennui posted:

D'aww, she drew his name in a heart :3: That arrow is pointing right toward her name on the sheet, too; I recall Allison saying after finishing SGR that he had planned early on for Ryan to end up with either Amy or Shelley, and it seems like he had made his decision by this point.

Fangz posted:

B-But Inconcievable Physical Union!
I suspect Amy was ont being entirely honest with herself when she made that chart.

Aw, dang.

It had a good run. I was kind of hoping he might take it all the way to them setting off for uni like Sarah, Esther and the Boy. As long as they're still a part of the story, I guess it's still good. :unsmith:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Aww, so he wasn't expelled, he just... left? That's odd.

Wait he told Tim that he was expelled, why would he do that to his friend? That's actually kind of horrible!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Aww, so he wasn't expelled, he just... left? That's odd.

Wait he told Tim that he was expelled, why would he do that to his friend? That's actually kind of horrible!

It's simple when you understand that Ryan is dumb!

EDIT: Or rather, he's lazy and will take the "easy" path even if that path is actually the very very hard path so long as he doesn't have to think about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He probably told Tim that so he could do it without having Tim try and talk him out of it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

This is all super sad, but at least we know that in the end things did work out for Ryan and now he's a cool teacher. :unsmith:

Provided some mystery teens are on hand to repair the timeline, anyway.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, if we had gotten this arc before the time travel arc, I'm not sure if I'd have been able to take it. :ohdear:

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As disappointed as I am that Bad Machinery has wound down, I remember being disappointed when he first transitioned to it. And I loved Bad Machinery, so as long as he's excited about what he's making I'm looking forward to it.

But yes more Mildred. Mildred 24/7 all day err'day.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I just hope a return to Bobbinses's days doesn't mean the return of Holly/Rich.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Something comes up in a comic and then I can't stop rereading archives, send help.

E: more post-foreshadowing

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 5, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well tim's 'accidental' infidelity plothook will get more screentime now

but a potential lack of lottie in the future makes allison literally worse than hitler

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 5, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

well tim's 'accidental' infidelity plothook will get more screentime now

but a potential lack of lottie in the future makes allison literally worse than hitler

Well, she has shown up to talk with Shelly about sex and babies and stuff a couple times, so I'd think she might actually turn up more.

Scaramouche posted:

I just hope a return to Bobbinses's days doesn't mean the return of Holly/Rich.

Rich showed up for one storyline in the revived Bobbins and hasn't been seen since, and that one was a prequel that seemed more like it was about setting up how Amy, Shelly, etc know each other.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Uh... sure, Mr. Allison.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And we're done.

Shabby, Jones. Shabby.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well hey, Erin is still sort of Queen of Hell in a way, that's fun. Also, I think that more Erin Winters is at least a vaguely acceptable substitute for Bad Machinery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
A World Without Cheese. :eek:

In the previous one though, really weird to see Bough making jokes. Even if they're jackass jokes.

• Locked thread