Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh noooooo. Please don't reboot Scary Go Round, Mr. Allison. :ohdear:

Pretty sure that's a joke, like all the other eighties/nineties comic gags thusfar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Leroy Dennui posted:

I wonder how accurate those prices in the upper left-hand corner are for '96 exchange rates. I would think the pound would be worth more than that...

It's actually somewhat higher than the standard price back then, IIRC, which was around $2.50 US/$3.50 Canadian. The UK price cited there is, according to some googling, equivalent to a little over four 1996 USD, but the UK has a history of getting screwed on comics prices.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

So Enter the Taxman is supposed to come to a head on Halloween. Allison might actually use it as some kinda retcon/revision thing-a-ma-boobs.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Oh hey. Van-Dyke has an actual name now instead of a hackneyed reference.

He still looks insufferable. Dude loving deserves psychopathic Holly and totally did back in the old strips where he's older.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I wonder if this means he's gonna repost all the side-comics that aren't on the site anymore.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

well tim's 'accidental' infidelity plothook will get more screentime now

but a potential lack of lottie in the future makes allison literally worse than hitler

Well, she has shown up to talk with Shelly about sex and babies and stuff a couple times, so I'd think she might actually turn up more.

Scaramouche posted:

I just hope a return to Bobbinses's days doesn't mean the return of Holly/Rich.

Rich showed up for one storyline in the revived Bobbins and hasn't been seen since, and that one was a prequel that seemed more like it was about setting up how Amy, Shelly, etc know each other.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jackard posted:

Did that guy ever show up after Scary Go Round?

I think he might've turned up on Allison's sketch blog? He drew adult versions of a couple of the kids there, including a skinny but psychotic looking version of Eustace.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Do you have a link?

In other news, Mildred continues to be the best.

The best place to find old stuff like that is Allison's Flickr page, though I think he's largely abandoned it form Tumblr. Here's his first drawing of Eustace set post-Giant Days. He's got a bad case of crazy eye.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Am I weird for not thinking his taste is that esoteric or unusual?

That said, gently caress Bryan Ferry. He's a jumped-up right-wing oval office turned spitting image puppet of himself with stapled-in dimples. Plus his record is poo poo.

I just hope his son is okay so I can go on thinking he's an rear end in a top hat without it being tinged by pity. It'd be awful to lose a family member at this time of year.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Wyld Karde posted:

Man, Len's gone grey. I wonder if he still lectures in Sexy Journalism?

He failed upwards. He's the dean of Tackleford U now. Also he married Carrot's mum, I think? They were together a few years back.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

ZearothK posted:

There was also the time she was shot up by the Hell's Angels and hung out in the afterlife with Ryan's French ex (you know, the one murdered with a terrorist orangutan by the church group of those ladies who run Amy's rival store) until getting bored of it. Damned if I can find the link to that story.

Been here since the Illustrator days of Scary Go Round, feeling old too.

Was Natalie skull-faced in that one, or did that only happen after Ryan was taken by the satanic nuns?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

So wait--was the being done with Bobbins thing specifically being done with the people prominent in this last story arc, and we'll still see the SGR crew from time to time? Or is Tackleford being abandoned entirely?

I think the specific problem he had was that pulling back to include Bobbins and SGR characters made juggling continuity too hard. Now everyone is dead or squared away, with a stable situation that'll allow him to rotate them in and out like he did during Bad Machinery.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, that was really interesting.

The really odd thing is that the name for that kind of high, tight ponytail or bun changes depending on the class and wealth of the person wearing it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fangz posted:

Yeah, I'd imagine so. I have a lot of sympathy for Allison. He clearly wants to experiment and tell different types of stories but it's hard to do that without alienating some people.

Is it really that big of a departure? I mean, tonally and in terms of how it looks, it's not too far off a lot of classic SGR and two of the main characters are SGR/Bad Machinery holdovers.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Galvanik posted:

I haven't read the original Bobbins. What did Rich do that makes you all hate him so much? All I know about him is that he led that ill advised protest to save the bears in Bad Mach, and seems kind of sleezy in Bobbins. In terms of villainy he seems to be really low end by Scary go Round standards, so all the hate thrown his way confuses me.

He's kind of a bad person. He dated Shelly for about two weeks, which lasted until she saw him making out with Amy at the office New Year's party. Later that year, it came out that Tim's ex-girlfriend had cheated on him with Rich.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Except I feel like it's kind of backwards. The author decided he hated the character and started making him unlikable so everyone else did too. Yeah old Rich could be an rear end sometimes, but Shelley has done stuff like sleeping with a still married Tim and she's been brought back from the dead, twice.

If he decided, he decided it fifteen years ago. It's not new, it's not sudden, and Rich doesn't really show remorse.

The good ship Rich Not Being An rear end in a top hat sailed before I was out of braces. It's time to let it go.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It's really not that hard. British people just think it is because they want to think they're special.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The only thing that's amazing is that British people seem to think that they invented the concept of class divisions :psyduck:

The British tend to think that their system of class division is more significant and visible because they're preoccupied with the aristocracy and with outward signs of class, like whether or not you grew up on a council estate and whether or not you like a Burberry check pattern.

And before you ask, no, this will never make an ounce of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

See, this is exactly why the Mystery Boys need Sonny along.

• Locked thread