Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I quite fancy the younger version of Shauna's mum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Saoshyant posted:

I'm amused Lottie and Nancy Drew actually found the standard nerd that is Shauna's dad. That's a feat all right when they had absolutely no info at all.

I had to trawl back through the comic to find the one panel where Shauna's mum offhandedly mentions his name.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

SexyBlindfold posted:

Ahahaha yes everything is hosed now :unsmigghh:

A truth that's told with bad intent/
Beats all the lies you can invent!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

'Spite' is really a poor way to describe that situation.

Worth re-reading that part considering Blossom's POV. Shauna can really come off as a manipulative jerk, and what she's doing in that chapter is especially reflective of the current chapter.

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20110805

Shauna looks so young in that chapter! I swear these characters age 1 day per published page, so you never notice any change until you look back a few years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd suggest it's the link between the main action and the time travelling subplot.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I assumed they'd come together at some point. Oh well.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
At least Darren's looking ashamed there.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm not looking forward to the excruciating scene where Linton explains to Blossom that he's not really interested in her.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Could there be the chance of redemption for Darren..?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

Romesh is totally working for Si, right?

Is that a significant wink in the last panel or is he just flirting with the waitress

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

Borrowing a hundred quid years ago as a teenager is utterly irrelevant to all of this, as Si is clearly making things up as he goes along.

Yep, Si's intention is clearly to milk Daz for as long as possible, terrifying him with magically ever-expanding amounts of debt to keep him suitably motivated, until Daz gets unlucky and ends up back in prison. Poor Daz. Perhaps Blossom will save him by punching Si in the throat?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Thinking of buying Giant Days. Is it like a university version of Bad Machinery with them going round fighting crime and solving mysteries or is it a thoughtful examination of three teenage girls experiencing the transition from youth to adulthood and from dependence to personal responsibility (i.e. booooooring)?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Oh hey, yes, this is my OTHER child, that I've never previously mentioned before. Shall we all get a coffee together?"

It's still Glenn's fault mind: it's hardly a shocking relevation that someone might have a child from a previous relationship; no reason to conceal it except for Glenn's obvious avoidant personality. And if he's still living in the same area, any reasonable person should have been able to forsee that they're likely to awkwardly bump into each other at some point. Glenn's going to go off now, feel horribly guilty but not actually change his behaviour.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Empress Theonora posted:

I really appreciate that every time we see a Warhammer model in Bad Machinery it's one of those goofy beaky space marines from Rogue Trader.

In the Tackleford universe, it's always the Rogue Trader era.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

PleasingFungus posted:

Not sure that's quite how I'd characterize that interaction...

You could argue that the way Shauna's father behaved there was just down to him being a fundamentally rather timid and passive person, whose top priority is always the avoidance of any awkwardness or confrontation. I do think there's more to it than that, though. When he's describing to Shauna how her mother and him got together it's clear that he was very aware of the class differences between them and that this made him profoundly uncomfortable. The exact circumstances of how they drifted apart aren't made explicit but it seems reasonable to assume that the fear (not necessarily conscious) of 'marrying beneath him' was an important factor in the breakup. And when Shauna's innocent approach puts him on the spot and he's faced with the choice of either explaining to his wife about how he got a cleaning lady at his former workplace pregnant or brushing Shauna off, he unerringly goes for the latter option, even though he's well aware of how hurt she'll be. (The way Shauna bravely goes along with his bullshit must have been a particularly painful twist of the knife for him, not that he doesn't deserve it.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If I can't breathlessly over-analyze comic books here, where CAN I breathlessly over-analyze comic books :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Class permeates English society: it's not much spoken about, or reflected on but it's very definitely there.

One thing I've noticed about the Wicke family is that they're now portrayed much more sympathetically than when they first appeared. In Scarygoround, they were comedy poor people, noisy, chaotic and shameless (The highlight being Shauna's mum appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show, attempting to get publicity by claiming Desmond Fishman is her hideously deformed son). By the time Allison started Bad Machinery, he'd obviously had a change of heart and his treatment of them is very noticeably different.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A British person uncomfortable around class issues?? Surely not :mmmhmm:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Wicke family just aren't good with money :(

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Or has Shauna's mum just paid off Darren's debt?

Hey, that could be it!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Bought Giant Days Vol. 1 yesterday. It is good.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yvonmukluk posted:

'Things are going to change'.

I guess the end is nigh for Bad Machinery, then. :ohdear:

A new series with Shauna and Blossom as a crime fighting duo perhaps? I dunno, what spare characters has Allison got waiting in the wings at this point?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Saoshyant posted:

"That I managed to form some kind of logical conclusion out of this still remains a career high point."

That quote got me wondering to what extent Allison plots his comics out in advance? Perhaps the really crazy endings he often has are the result of him accidentally writing himself into corners and requiring a big nuclear explosion to reset the scenario back to normal.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was thinking more about the time Shelley and Amy accidentally awoke Poseidon, who arose from the depths with the city of Atlantis on his back, only to be taken out by Kim Jong-Il who happened to be nearby with a nuclear missile. The Stand works too, though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Tweet from John Allison today:

"This one's really split my audience. More nice emails than for anything for a while, but a number of people have voted with their feet."

(I haven't worked out how to embed tweets while posting from my phone yet)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
He's sent a few tweets: apparently, he's lost a lot of readers with this new story but it took a few weeks to really show up in the website stats.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

He clearly wants to experiment and tell different types of stories but it's hard to do that without alienating some people.

Yeah, he tweeted pretty much that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It ended rather abruptly. I wonder if Allison killed it off early 'cos people didn't like it so much?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Allison tweeting that there's a new Bad Machinery case in the offing once Bobbins Horse finishes up oh yiss

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Captain Bravo posted:

I can never keep track of it, but isn't there like an undercurrent of the British class thing, and Lottie is on top? Or something like that? Maybe she's finally letting that go to her head?

Shauna is working class, Lottie is lower-middle to middle-middle class and Mildred is middle-middle verging on upper-middle class. That sentence completely fails to explain the inexplicable intricacies of the English class system, of course, which no foreigner can ever fully understand.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, this was an easily solved mystery.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

punchymcpunch posted:

The Lottie floating head effects are the best thing ever.

No, THIS is the best thing ever:

Also, I think all the weird fairies are going to pour out through the rift and destroy the housing estate, in a searing social commentary on the effects of bad urban planning.
Either that, or the whole story will peter out unsatisfyingly. This is John Allison, so it could go either way.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Cat Mattress posted:

The whole thing can very well be nothing more than a big fib on Lottie's part.

"... and that's why me and Shauna don't hang out together any more!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

quote:

THE CASE OF THE SEVERED ALLIANCE kicks in on September 5th.

:dance:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
They were 11ish when this comic kicked off, in 2009, so if they'd aged in real time, I guess they would be.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ZearothK posted:

A disturbing thought as I was catching up with this week's comics... Wasn't Charlotte's sister the age the kids are now when she began to date then late-twenties Ryan?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think she was in sixth form which is 17-18 but it was still creepy.

Leroy Dennui posted:

Almost equally bad was Shelley and Esther encouraging it.

Oh look, it's THIS conversation again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Allison was on Twitter today, fretting about how the viewcount for Bad Machinery only ever seems to go downwards :( Could everyone visit his website a few times to cheer him up?

• Locked thread