Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

howe_sam posted:

Wales brings out the worst in people I guess.

I think it's more that incredibly nerdy young boys without an iota of self awareness bring out the worst in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

kinda hard to sympathize with the protagonists here when they started it with the tossing the selfie stick in the sea

On the other hand, there is no context in which a panty raid is not a super creepy thing that reflects poorly on their ability to perceive fee-may-uhls as non-space aliens.

I mean poo poo, do you recall the questions they were asked at first meeting?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wouldn't be the first time

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Good save Linton. I think.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dan asking the reasonable questions

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There is a skeleton inside you.

Maybe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It never occurred to me before that we'd never seen Jack's dad before but Jack's dad rules, and also retroactively makes everything about Jack make more sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't trust this guy at all?

Probably yeah? I mean, nothing he's saying here seems particularly inconsistent with what we already knew. Shauna's mum didn't seem to harbor any ill will towards him when Mildred tried to pump her for information, so his story seems plausible enough thus far.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Man Lottie has been kind of hard to put up with this chapter. I don't think I've seen her so outright unlikable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

It took me three reads to realize that's a Triangle - Square - Circle hovering over Linton's leg. :allears:

Brutality!

Linton...wins?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

My two cents are that Linton has forgotten the golden rule of testosterone-fueled teenage boys fighting over a girl.

The loser gets the girl. :unsmigghh:

With Colm laying all his cards on the table and casually outing Claire's uh, tendencies, I think this is gonna get raw and awkward.

I'm not even sure he actually wants her back at this point. I'm not sure if he's sure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dabir posted:

He was like 12, and there might have been selkie magic involved.

What does him being 12 matter?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Haha, I just caught the significance of the envelope.

What might that be? I can't quite think of anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

It says "At home" on it. Shauna was holding it up where he could see off-panel, so that he would know what alibi to give.

Haha okay that was pretty good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

How does Tim manage to be impossibly retro at all times. That hair.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Lottie is not literal nobility, no.

Tim vs Lottie would be a level playing field, except this is the John Allison so the teenage girl is an almighty god of emasculation and sass.

For the British class struggle, please refer to Shelley's old boyfriend Bruno and the bobbins casts' reaction to him.

In this case, I think it's more of a Lottie thing specifically. As others have noted, she's been kind of a dick for a while now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Shelley, you really have no room to talk here.

Came here to post this. I really should have expected to be beaten to it :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There are so many class dynamics going on in the allison-verse it really amazes me that non-british people are able to follow it.

The only thing that's amazing is that British people seem to think that they invented the concept of class divisions :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Yes, but statistically, most wealthy people in the modern era were not born wealthy.

This is not remotely true in any first world country, I am afraid, even in the most ideal of social mobility conditions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's wrong in the US as well.

The UK actually beats the US on most metrics of social mobility in fact. It's a wildly wrong statement just about anywhere.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The unfortunate truth is that class divisions, by and large, define people who aren't willing to exit the life they're in. Does that require a lot of work? Yes, but statistically, most wealthy people in the modern era were not born wealthy. The mayor of London is a child of Muslim immigrants.

Also extra lol I didn't even notice this part the first go around. Quite possibly the most sheltered post I've ever seen. :shobon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Galvanik posted:

I just assumed the other guys felt threatened by Bruno because he is big and hyper-masculine, and it made them feel self conscious. And since according to Amy he doesn't speak much, the image that formed in my head for the character was that of a large physically intimidating dude who's not very social.

It never even occurred to me that they didn't like him because of his working class job.

It's less "don't like him because of his working class job" and more "aren't comfortable around him because, on some level, they know that he lives in a very different world than they do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

feetnotes posted:

I liked Jack and Linton when they were treated sympathetically :( it's been a long time since they showed up as anything other than gigantic idiots.

To be honest it gets increasingly difficult to stomach any of the characters in this comic as time goes on. Almost everyone has become more and more intolerable over the last few cases.

• Locked thread