Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Rincewind posted:

SGR Mysteries: Does Her even exist or is it just everyone misremembering the name of THAT?

It does exist because I've seen a copy of it in a comic shop. I just have no idea what it is because I thought it was THAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Leroy Dennui posted:

Speaking of Ryan always wanting to be a cowboy, I've always found it really difficult to imagine him having a British accent. I usually tend to read everyone's lines in my head with a somewhat snarky American accent anyway, but it's easier to visualize the British accents on everyone else, probably because Ryan always says "dang" all the time. I would say I had the same problem with Hugo except that it's quite likely he's not originally from England to begin with.

It's worth noting that John Allison is from a part of the country where trousers are called pants, British people use a whole load of words that you might assume are Americanisms. My problem is that I kind of assume everyone speaks like a Mancunian but I'm pretty sure Tackleford is actually supposed to be in Yorkshire.

I think my favourite part of today's comic is the Safeway bag to remind us that it's set in the past.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jesus, talk about backstory.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Do we, as readers, know who The Smiths are?

They're an English band from the 80s obviously. They were all a family (Morrissey was the dad).

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is it me or have Lottie and Shauna morphed into incredibly unlikeable individuals sine they arrived at SpaceUK?

They seem the same as they ever was to me.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

John is asking twitter what he should use as filler comics over new years. At the moment it looks like 2016 will be the year of Desmond.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Real question: The terms of that loan (10% monthly, turning 100 pounds into 30k pounds in five years) have to be illegal in the real-life UK, right?

Well the dude in this case is a loan shark so it's illegal but if he was a legit lender he could absolutely get away with that. They've changed the law recently but I know pay day loan companies were getting away with interest rates of 5000% APR perfectly legally until last year.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I'm used to locker rooms where you bring your own lock.

What? Do you mean you carry a padlock around with you at all times?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jackard posted:

Have we figured out what the missing piece is or what the supernatural element in this chapter is yet?

I think the chapter titles usually refer to multiple things , like an overall theme of the chapter, so it might be all the little secrets that are coming out

I think they are getting older so poo poo is becoming a bit less supernatural.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Shauna is working class, Lottie is lower-middle to middle-middle class and Mildred is middle-middle verging on upper-middle class. That sentence completely fails to explain the inexplicable intricacies of the English class system, of course, which no foreigner can ever fully understand.

There are so many class dynamics going on in the allison-verse it really amazes me that non-british people are able to follow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ZearothK posted:

A disturbing thought as I was catching up with this week's comics... Wasn't Charlotte's sister the age the kids are now when she began to date then late-twenties Ryan?

I think she was in sixth form which is 17-18 but it was still creepy.

• Locked thread