Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Roger Explosion posted:

See, now Douche-bag McSelfie-stick is being the type of slimy, manipulative antagonist type I like. You know. Instead of just a creep. Good work, McSelfie-stick.

Oh dear. The Tuan on the mantlepiece is being fired...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Yeah, don't forget, this is coming right after Shauna was publicly disowned by her posh dad due to her working-class mom.

Not sure that's quite how I'd characterize that interaction...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

You could argue that the way Shauna's father behaved there was just down to him being a fundamentally rather timid and passive person, whose top priority is always the avoidance of any awkwardness or confrontation. I do think there's more to it than that, though. When he's describing to Shauna how her mother and him got together it's clear that he was very aware of the class differences between them and that this made him profoundly uncomfortable. The exact circumstances of how they drifted apart aren't made explicit but it seems reasonable to assume that the fear (not necessarily conscious) of 'marrying beneath him' was an important factor in the breakup. And when Shauna's innocent approach puts him on the spot and he's faced with the choice of either explaining to his wife about how he got a cleaning lady at his former workplace pregnant or brushing Shauna off, he unerringly goes for the latter option, even though he's well aware of how hurt she'll be. (The way Shauna bravely goes along with his bullshit must have been a particularly painful twist of the knife for him, not that he doesn't deserve it.)

My argument is: someone might be ashamed of and fearful of acknowledging a child from a previous relationship without class entering into it at all. Do you think Shauna's father wouldn't have dissembled in front of his wife & son if Shauna was his secret love-child with a countess, instead of a cleaner? I'm skeptical.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every time I think I understand British culture, there's a whole nother dimension left that I don't understand left to figure out.

They truly are an alien people. We may never fully understand their ways...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

So are we all agreed Claire set fire to the barn?

could it be any more obvious?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

In his spare time, Allison writes Happy Days fanfiction. This explains so much.

I'm not sure that everything in that bio is, strictly speaking, true.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Hahaha, Destroy History is on the timeline?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I'm enjoying the bobbins well enough. It's fine.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
given the framing of this story, i'm not convinced the breakup will stick

also given he's still loitering outside her window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
at the very least, he doesn't seem to be wearing anything belowdecks. i'm not sure how much the exact size really matters, beyond that...

• Locked thread