Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muscles like this? posted:

Anyone else think the reveal of what happened to The Boy after the end of SGR was kind of depressing? Everyone else was in a better place in life, except for him.

Man, I thought him and Esther were going to be a sure thing. Still, at least he's apparently fixed his life, lost all his weight and rekindled his relationship with Erin, while Esther's current situation is apparently...complex. Hopefully there will be some more installments of Giant Days in the future to provide elaboration.

I'm glad to see Shelley was always good at making wise decisions. Also I think this marks the first chronological (in-universe) appearance of Ryan's Cowboy-styled shirts!

I'm surprised the OP doesn't have anything about the various side projects, actually. Especially since there's apparently a space-related sequel to Murder She Writes coming after Expecting to Fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leroy Dennui posted:

Was going to reserve things about that for the second post. Actually, I'm not all that well-versed on some of that; I can comment on Expecting to Fly, Giant Days, Scare-o-deliria and Ghosts (own a copy circa 2007), but not much else. If there's anything floating around on the main website that I missed, or if you have a write-up on Murder She Writes/That/Her etc., I'll give you mad props for helping make the second post more informative. Going to put info about characters that aren't featured in the "about" section there, too.

I'm curious as to if we'll see Ms. Pickering-Chilton in Expecting to Fly; I know Amy probably isn't going to be around since she was technically introduced to everyone in 1998-era Bobbins revival, but Len is a pretty well-known figure around Tackleford and we're seeing people like Shelley's dad for the first time, so there's some sort of precedent toward seeing Len's second (I think?) ex-wife.

edit: The second post has content now.
Well I'll give it a shot (I've no idea what Her is though, I'm only familiar with That and Murder She Writes and can't find any mention of it on the SGR website). Here goes:

Murder She Writes
A storyline focused primarily upon Shelley Winters, Murder She Writes is the story of Shelley attending a writers' retreat in a remote lodge in Wales, only to find it turning grisly when one of the other authors is found dead. It falls to Shelley (or, to be more precise, her new intern/assistant/sidekick, Lottie Grote of Bad Machinery fame), to solve the mystery in a highly precocious manner. Is apparently getting a sequel after Expecting to Fly concludes, which is apparently about space. Currently not available to read online, but can be purchased on Comixology or in dead tree form.

THAT
Another Shelley-focused storyline, THAT sees her in small-town USA on a book tour, only to wander directly into a B-Movie as the town she's visiting is attacked by giant moths. Joining forces with the eccentric townsfolk, they desperately attempt to stave off the moths until dawn. Is also available on Comixology or in the printed form.

There would be an image here, but unfortunately 'That' isn't a very good search term and the story's no longer archived online.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rincewind posted:

SGR Mysteries: Does Her even exist or is it just everyone misremembering the name of THAT?

We're through the looking glass here, people.

I'm loving the comics-style recap pages so far. Clearly the OP needs to be updated with the solicitation for Expecting to Fly found here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mousepractice posted:

What happened to Shauna's big brother?

:iiam:

But I think out of universe Allison has said that Shauna's Stepdad is a much better male authority figure, so her brother got written out.

The Libearian posted:

I'd really love it if this arc references Shelly's ex from Bobbins who was a huge dude called i think bruno? i remember her saying she was still with him because he found her attractive when she was 15 and socially awkward.

It's entirely possible, nay probable, he will appear.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

MD 20/20, Shelley has impeccable taste in hobo wine.

Also it turns out Ryan always wanted to be a cowboy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

And we get our first look at Becka Garlick. Did people really dress like that in the 90s?

In other news, Tim Jones is kind of awful.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's worth noting that John Allison is from a part of the country where trousers are called pants, British people use a whole load of words that you might assume are Americanisms. My problem is that I kind of assume everyone speaks like a Mancunian but I'm pretty sure Tackleford is actually supposed to be in Yorkshire.

I think my favourite part of today's comic is the Safeway bag to remind us that it's set in the past.

I've not really got much of an idea of what a Yorkshire accent sounds like in my head, so I've kind of just projecting my own regional accent onto the characters. Clearly somebody needs to round up some precocious Yorkshire children and get them to read the comic for us so we can grasp it for ourselves.

And I vaguely remember Safeway. I'm old.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Libearian posted:

I'd really love it if this arc references Shelly's ex from Bobbins who was a huge dude called i think bruno? i remember her saying she was still with him because he found her attractive when she was 15 and socially awkward.

It seems you might be right, going by today's events. Also Ryan struck out epically in the name of friendship.

Autonomous Monster posted:

By the magic of Youtube, precocious Yorkshire children can be had on demand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3ieNhEsDY

That sounded less creepy in my head.
Yes but they're not going to read the whimsical dialogue for us. Somebody get these comics into Yorkshire schools and get them to read them for us! The internet demands it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A good recommendation for people interested in the accents would be watching a documentary called Educating Yorkshire. It also turns out huge manga hair is apparently a real trend in schools in that part of the country.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I hate double posting, but there has been a further development.

Poor Shelley. :smith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Be careful guys, I think we might be getting...whimsy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like how incredibly polite and matter-of-fact about the whole thing Mandy is. :britain:

Also I suspect the metamorphosis is nearly complete.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leroy Dennui posted:

This is what I'm thinking too - her whimsy may have developed as a defense mechanism, and was influenced by Ryan's earthy wisdom.

In a similar way to Lottie's extreme love of mysteries, perhaps? They both suffered a loss at a young age and are probably the strangest among their respective circle of friends.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bell_ posted:

Extreme love of makin' noise, maybe. Mildew's odd upbringing makes her a contender, but what really makes Lottie stand out is her resilience and presence of mind to get people out of their dark places.

I was actually referring to Murder She Writes, where Lottie explains her love of mysteries protects her 'delicate lady-brain' from trauma (see the write-up I did upthread for the illustration). And I think the best demonstration of that was in The Case of Unwelcome Visitor.

Also, shame on you getting Mildred's name wrong.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A sudden plot twist appears!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 13, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh noooooo. Please don't reboot Scary Go Round, Mr. Allison. :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dammit Tim, why couldn't you have made it so the contraption fired at a cushion on the WINDOW?

If I didn't already know things work out good for Ryan, I'd probably be inclined to dislike Tim more for RUINING EVERYTHING.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Upon reflection I think that Tim coming back to Tackleford can only be a bad thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

New previews page! Better update the OP with the new :siren:HYPE BOX:siren:!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rand Brittain posted:

I seem to recall that the poetry-scholarship-he-never-knew-about also happened to the late lamented Carrot Scruggs.

(Although after the everybody-dies finale got Michael-Jackson'd to oblivion, I guess he isn't actually late.)

I thought Hugo told the scholarship people that he was the late Carrot Scruggs, because he didn't want to lose him as a worker? Hugo is kind of a dick.

I wonder-since Ryan never finished school, how'd he get certified as a teacher? I imagine you need to have finished secondary school for that (I know he was at the Open University in SGR, but still). I wonder if Knotty helped him get his job? Who knows, maybe that's why he became a teacher in the first place.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jackard posted:

"Green for good match"

*does everything in her power to keep him away from Gibbous Moon*

Leroy Dennui posted:

D'aww, she drew his name in a heart :3: That arrow is pointing right toward her name on the sheet, too; I recall Allison saying after finishing SGR that he had planned early on for Ryan to end up with either Amy or Shelley, and it seems like he had made his decision by this point.

Fangz posted:

B-But Inconcievable Physical Union!
I suspect Amy was ont being entirely honest with herself when she made that chart.

Aw, dang.

It had a good run. I was kind of hoping he might take it all the way to them setting off for uni like Sarah, Esther and the Boy. As long as they're still a part of the story, I guess it's still good. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

No commentary on Into the Woods? It looks good so far.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Republican Vampire posted:

I think he might've turned up on Allison's sketch blog? He drew adult versions of a couple of the kids there, including a skinny but psychotic looking version of Eustace.

Do you have a link?

In other news, Mildred continues to be the best.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Will The Boy completely blow it with Erin Winters again? Only time will tell.

Mildred's dad continues to be the greatest.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jackard posted:

Is this a remake of an unreleased thing? Something that was never made? Book or digital?

Allison did a series of 3 Giant Days stories for the website a while back (but he's taken it down now-you can get it in dead tree form or from Comixology), this is a sequel to that. I imagine it'll be available in both book and digital.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rand Brittain posted:

Shouldn't Erin have an uncanny rapport with devil bears, on account of being the devil?

Apparently the Erin we know in Bobbins is her human half, and her devil half is still down in hell.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

IT BEGINS. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, so that's what happened to Rich.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guysguysguys, LOTTIE'S BACK!

But she gave up mysteries. :smith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waitaminute...Lottie's in her Murder She Writes outfit and they're discussing space! This is all setup for Murder She Writes 2: This Time it's in Space!

So anyway, who's looking forward to the prohesised return of Britpop?

I can't wait till Bovis gets released later this year.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I find it odd Lottie & Shauna are siding with the man who stole Archie.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god. Rich Tweedy: Eco-Warrior.

Looks like you still have a shot with Erin, The Boy!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dammit, Shelley.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I suspect things are going to go very well or spectacularly poorly for Rich.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god, they're bringing back EVERYBODY from Bobbins.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JOHN ALLISON IS A BASTARD.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HellOnEarth posted:

Rich is such an rear end in a top hat.

No...he's the hero we deser-WHONK.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thank you for reminding me this comic exists thread.

You're very welcome.

Also I guess Lottie's advice worked out! And it only took a gunshot wound to accomplish it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, this is way darker and violent that most of Allison's recent work. Is he ok? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leroy Dennui posted:

Nah, this is a return to form due to the return of the Scary Go Round label. If he's gonna kill off a group of characters in one fell swoop, it's going to be Bad Machinery's main cast.

:ohdear:

Couldn't they just...go into the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Welp, it looks like this is happening.

I wonder if we're going to see the return of Esther to Tackleford, especially since the Giant Days comic is getting released soon.

• Locked thread