Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I just hope a return to Bobbinses's days doesn't mean the return of Holly/Rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Do we, as readers, know who The Smiths are?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I still maintain that Esther will likely be returning to Tackleford soonish (after Giant Days wraps up).

But dang, I'm sad for Erin. She lost out again. :smith:

You know I never really liked Erin when she was introduced, she seemed a straight man for a setting that didn't need one, and the grow juice/marriage thing happened and I was glad to see her go. I wonder if Allison felt the same, because he's worked a lot to redeem her in the recent arcs, and her last appearance is a powerful one. At the same time she's like a mirror to Shelly, for everything that happens to Shelly where she emerges unscathed (dying, relationships), Erin gets extra-scathed.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man don't scare me like that

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jack's Dad = Best Dad

RE: Blossom. What's her end game here? I'm guessing she's smart enough to be acting out like this consciously, but to what end?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh crap she dropped a dime on Darren

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Naw, this is just reintroducing Des so he can come back and save his mate Daz from the loan shark. Daz will trade Des to Si, and Si can use him for collecting deadbeat loans on the basis that he is extremely annoying and creepy. Everybody wins.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My Colm-sense is tingling

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah despite all this I can't really see Blossom as anything other than a target for pity rather than ire. Allison perfectly encapsulated a no-hope teenager when he created the character, Blossom has basically been poo poo on all her life. That doesn't make her actions admirable, but does make them comprehensible.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, here I was hoping John Allison had a Christmas gift for me, but alas that slimey thing still lives. At least that panel with Mildew was worth it.

What is she walking there? I thought Glynis was against animal exploitation

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't think any of them are really disliked by readers except for Desmond and Blossom. Or do you mean "wrong" in the sense of what's their characteristic/humanizing flaw?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

7c Nickel posted:

Knowing the cute waitress at Hugo's is actually a retired superspy would also open up options.

I don't think that's going to happen. I can't remember where but I seem to recall Allison writing that he was "retiring" a lot of the more wacky characters like Fallon, Hugo, Tim-As-Plot-Device-Inventor, etc. to concentrate on more grounded stories. I'd be surprised if he goes back on it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Well Rich "Tweedy" was also apparently Jeff Tweedy so that makes sense.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dang, haven't seen Elliot in a while (from today's bobbins.horse). I believe he was the token computer nerd character back in original bobbins.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ronya posted:

Shauna grew up in the council estate on a diet of chips and trashy TV; she has moved up in the world by the grace of her mother's new beau, who is a straight-talking white van man (who is no less working-class, but in the sense of the independent tradesman rather than zero-hour wage labourer per se; think of the social class that Marx derided as the culturally-conservative petite-bourgeoisie).

Lottie's mum is an estate agent. She is middle-class, by virtue of her social circle rather than strictly income.

Isn't Dan an actual plumber instead of a "man with white van"?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've always gotten the impression that Allison threw those characters in originally as a kind of joke on the lower class, and then felt guilty about it after and made Shauna's family 'real' characters. He's been kind of uneven on class issues in general to tell the truth, and it feels like something he's still kind of uncomfortable with.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ugh the tangential glimpses of the Shauna tattoo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think Allison was a lot more from the hip in the earlier days (Bobbins up into vector era Scary Go Round) with plots, but I think since Bad Machinery onward he's become a lot more disciplined, especially given that the title ties into the endings now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

From what I remember of Rich in the OG Bobbins he was just kind of mopey about being single, and would generally be depressed, but not much more than that (keeping in mind I read it as it came out back in the late 90s and haven't really revisted it). Then it changed from a 3-panel humour strip into more extended plots and he didn't really have a place in them. A lot of the jokes didn't come from his character at that point but he seemed to be involved in all of the drama. That said he definitely seems more hateable now, but I expect Allison is going for that angle.

Also I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure Shelly's boyfriend did show up somewhere in the early Bobbins. Vaguely soccer hooligan looking IIRC.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Seventies = Tim, Egon Spengler = Rich, Ally McBeal = Holly, The Tramp = Amy, Dork Knobs = Colin?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man no commentary on the death of Sonny's sister? You guys are ice-cold.

Also, he's killing it with the alt-text style comments below each strip now, I hope he never stops.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not going to lie, wouldn't mind the Wogun showing up right about now to hand out some chinnings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's sickening how he can threaten us with Desmond like that. It's like your dad has some scary mask that terrifies toddler-you and he just breaks it out whenever he feels like it. Hypothetically.

i hate you dad

• Locked thread