Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've not really got much of an idea of what a Yorkshire accent sounds like in my head, so I've kind of just projecting my own regional accent onto the characters. Clearly somebody needs to round up some precocious Yorkshire children and get them to read the comic for us so we can grasp it for ourselves.

By the magic of Youtube, precocious Yorkshire children can be had on demand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3ieNhEsDY

That sounded less creepy in my head.

Yvonmukluk posted:

And I vaguely remember Safeway. I'm old.

:crossarms:

Not that old. Safeway only went out of business in 2004/2005.

My littler brother probably remembers Safeways and he's only fourteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Leroy Dennui posted:

This is what I'm thinking too - her whimsy may have developed as a defense mechanism, and was influenced by Ryan's earthy wisdom.

This would suggest that Shelley's entire adult life has been defined by the damage caused by her best friend's suicide.

That's, uh, that's a little depressing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Friendship has boundaries.

I think I like Amy's way of putting it better:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder-since Ryan never finished school, how'd he get certified as a teacher? I imagine you need to have finished secondary school for that (I know he was at the Open University in SGR, but still). I wonder if Knotty helped him get his job? Who knows, maybe that's why he became a teacher in the first place.

Maybe this is working up to filling in that blank? It'd be a natural segue.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

This has inspired me to reread all the Bad Machinery-era "Bobbins" he's done in one big chunk. Which reminded me how freaking sad the situation with Tims' daughter is. That sort of unresolved childhood catastrophe could mess a kid up for life. There's no way Scout doesn't suspect that the explosion was her fault, which will only make Tim's decision (to accept the blame and leave the family) feel even worse.

Oh, right that's why Tim is now a bearded woodsman.

I was really confused for a second there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

God loving dammit, Shelley. Do you think you might possibly see your way clear to not horribly loving poo poo up for three consecutive seconds?

She's been back in Tackleford for all of a day.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Riley is not a spectacular human being, in fairness. Noooooooooooot certain Shelley'd make a better mother.

Though thinking about it, I can't remember any specific interactions between her and her daughter.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Eustace no :ohdear:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly, I'm betting on him waking up in a hospital bed.

If only because indirectly murdering a dude with really terrible advice would do bad things to Lottie.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It is weird seeing Esther as drawn by not!Allison.

e: Scratch that, it's surreal

The more I read the more my brain rebels.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 15, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

howe_sam posted:

It's not like Death held up his end of the bargain.

Yeah, if I sacrificed my life for some dumb nerd and he managed to get himself killed right after, I think I'd just be like "gently caress it" too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If this is literally Lottie and Shauna IN SPACE I don't know if it's even possible to get that hype.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Not mine. :colbert:

My mother wouldn't have it in the house. We got this stuff that was made I think primarily from alcohol and citric acid instead.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo that third panel :allears:

That has got to be the most perfect panel Allison has ever produced

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

BLOSSOM WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU DO

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Linton :allears:

He's always been my least favourite Scary Go Boy, but I think I might enjoy this arc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ahahahahaha Jack and Sonny's expressions in panel 7. That's a "well good for you mate but we are never going to stop taking the piss out of you for this" look if ever I saw one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Who are these people who like Desmond so much and how do we kill them?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh dear God

I'm conflicted. I mean, on the one hand it's Desmond Fishman, but on the other hand it's Desmond Fishman and Claire Little. You know?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Leospeare posted:

His stuff is locked in a locker and he needs the wristband to open it. I imagine it has a key attached or something like that.

Yep. Is this not how public pools work in other countries?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

What is even with those ridiculous burgers they have to hold together with skewers, anyway? Who decided that was a good idea?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

oh my god :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Have Jack and Mildred had much one-on-one interaction before? I'm quite liking how buddy-buddy they are.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Lottie's never exactly been the most reasonable or diplomatic member of the mystery crew.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Linton mate, I don't think Claire has ever been anything other than intense. I think she came out of the womb wearing an expression that could bore through walls.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dabir posted:

Right, right, but... he doesn't. He never does. Ever.

One might argue that being Desmond Fishman is punishment enough.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Isn't he broke now? I have to admit, I don't bother paying much attention to the mythology of Desmond.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Honestly, this arc is kind of rubbing me the wrong way.

"Pantywaist modern methods can't deal with young hooligans! Back in my day we would have beaten them raw with a belt and then told them to rub some dirt on it!"

If you can't actually back up your view, just invent a world where your opponents are idiots and your methods always work.

Well, bear in mind that a running theme, or gag of... well, the entire SGR/Bobbins universe in fact, is people out-smarting themselves or just generally being brought down by hubris. Almost everyone with grand schemes has an appropriately ironic comeuppance at some point- if they didn't just get Shelly'd. So this is really just the inevitable punchline to a "hot young moderniser with plans to revolutionise the system" plotline. I'm not sure it says much about Allison beyond the fact that it's a joke he likes to keep coming back to.

I don't think he's old enough to have fond memories of caning, anyway- he would have been ten when we outlawed corporal punishment in schools.

Also, remember Ole Knotty isn't actually all that harsh a disciplinarian. He seemed to take a, contractual? Approach to mischief. As in, "I know you're going to break the rules, and you know you're going to break the rules, because you're kids and kids are going to be kids, and if I catch you I'll have to punish you, but if you've done your time you've done your time and I'm not going to actively go looking for skulls to break unless the school is literally on fire."

This is the man who wasn't all that fussed when "Ryan" put out his eye.

Leroy Dennui posted:

This arc has filled me with a sense of dread since the beginning, like something really terrible and hosed up is right around the corner even though most of the conflicts so far have been resolved with relatively small collateral damage.

The meaning of the title of the arc still isn't quite apparent yet.

Well, it is "Missing", so you're looking for the hole rather than the object itself :v:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess it's "compassion". The plot seems to revolve around Darren and Blossom, both of whom are angry outsiders whose anti-social behaviour drives the people around them away. I think the moral of the story is going to be that, while these are genuinely terrible people in a lot of ways, their terrible behaviour is as much something they've been forced into as it is something they chose, and telling them they're irredeemable scum before disowning them is just aggravating the situation. Blossom is angry and abusive because her life to point was about being ostracised and abused, so why not hit back now she has the power? Darren doesn't actually want to be a criminal, he made a decent fist of going straight but now he's up poo poo creek with no support system whatsoever.

In short, I think this is going to be the story of How The Wickle Family (And Society) hosed Up.

e: I don't know if this ties into the Knotty/discipline subplot more than tangentially. If you wanted to try and salvage a decent moral from that you could try, "The honour system only works if the kids respect you, and they're not going to respect you if they've been locked into an adversarial relationship with adults for their entire lives up until this point," but that's "too little too late", the exact opposite of "don't give up too soon".

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 21, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

You are so middle class.

It's "White van man" or "Man with a van". No-one in the world has ever before said "Man with a white van".

You're going on the list for when the revolution comes.

Could just be American.

Fangz posted:

I think Shauna will be alright in the end.

Also worth noting Blossom must have got those glasses before the fight.

I think the glasses are pretty symbolically. Especially since we've been talking about class.

When we first meet Shauna in SGR she looks like this:

Hair up, shorts, white t-shirt. Compare/contrast Lottie: pigtails, skirt, school jumper over t-shirt.

Three years later, in Bad Machinery, Shauna looks like this:

(Big, poofy) hair down, skirt over leggings, school blazer over shirt, plus tie. Compare with the other estate girls: they're basically just young Shauna plus five years.

She's gone middle class- visually, at any rate.

The hair is the big one here: that style, drawn back and coming off the top of the head, is... well, it reads as extremely lower class to me, and I think it's significant that we've only ever seen it in-comic on Shauna and other council estate girls.

The glasses don't show up until the Case of the Simple Soul:

I don't know if I'd call them a class marker as such, but it's another (visual) barrier between her and her younger self.

This chapter, this process has been going in reverse. First she loses her glasses to Blossom, then she loses her Blazer to Darren (she's been wearing an old recently, remember?). Then, here:

She puts her hair up, in that specific style. It's striking- she looks like a completely different person. She looks like she did when she was ~8, more or less. Visually, she's a council estate girl again.

Now the hair's down again and the glasses are back.

Losing the swim team might be a pretty big deal for her. Look at it from a uni applications perspective: the story of Shauna Wickle, in the eyes of society, has gone from "estate girl turned star athlete and academic whiz" to "estate girl who was kicked off the swim team for violent behaviour (and has terrible grades)".

Anyway

Re: today's bobbins.horse: my mother got rid of my room as soon as I left for university, and it was surprising how much that hurt. :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

None of these ideas sound as good as what's on the way out. :smith:

'specially not Erin in Hell. She was never a great character and we already covered that story, thank you very much. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It's a pretty good song, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFM-noJhTI0

It's a shame that The Waterboys are only really remembered for The Whole of the Moon, because they've got a great catalogue.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Can I just say that I've enjoyed Jack's journey from SHYEST DORK to SWAGGERING LYNX-SCENTED ULTRADUDE more than is entirely reasonable?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

Worth noting this section is happening entirely in Charlotte's imagination.

Oh, I meant his arc over the entire comic.

I'm not certain how seriously we're supposed to take the unreliable narrator thing, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Imagine having a giant Desmond Fishman plushy. Just sitting there in your room. Staring at you.

Watching you while you sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

These kids are only 15? That doesn't sound right. I would have sworn blind they were approaching the end of secondary/sixth form.

• Locked thread