Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Angry Grimace posted:

I unironically like F/SN and Unlimited Blade Works in particular. Come at me.

But seriously, UBW is not only the best route, I think its the route that makes the most sense and covers the most of each character. I mean, okay, Saber doesn't get a ton of focus in this route (Saber is apparently the most popular character) but its more than in than Heaven's Feel and there's a lot about her route. Not to mention if you actually go through the VN, Rin is the game by far the most not just overall, but really in every route and this route goes through her character arc the most.

The weird part about Fate/Zero is that a lot of the important reveals that you don't get until Heaven's Feel namely Rin and Sakura's relationship and Ilya's relationship to Shirou are already told to you in that work, so there's less you need to see in those routes. Of course, literally none of Sakura's story gets told in this route, but that's what the Heaven's Feel movie is for, I guess. UBW is the best route because Nasu at least tries to explain why Shirou is the way he is. Even though Shirou is an obnoxious little anime poo poo in every route, at least you get an explanation of it here.

It was nice to know that he was literally insane. That explained a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

It was nice to know that he was literally insane. That explained a lot.

Edit: gently caress

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 25, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I unironically like F/SN and Unlimited Blade Works in particular. Come at me.

But seriously, UBW is not only the best route, I think its the route that makes the most sense and covers the most of each character. I mean, okay, Saber doesn't get a ton of focus in this route (Saber is apparently the most popular character) but its more than in than Heaven's Feel and there's a lot about her route. Not to mention if you actually go through the VN, Rin is the game by far the most not just overall, but really in every route and this route goes through her character arc the most.
Sakura's 'character' is entirely summarised by being Rin's sister, getting gifted to the Matou family and being repeatedly raped by Shinji. We aren't missing anything worthwhile.

Rodyle posted:

All the sexual elements have basically been nixed from Type Moon material these days now that they don't need money anymore.
They still need the money, they just don't need sex scenes to sell their stuff. It was the only reasin it was shoe-horned into the earlier works; at the time it was believed that the only way you could make a successful VN was to throw in sexual elements. It also gave us the lovely term 'educated prostitute' :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Sakura's 'character' is entirely summarised by being Rin's sister, getting gifted to the Matou family and being repeatedly raped by Shinji. We aren't missing anything worthwhile.
that's her backstory, not her character. do you even know the difference

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let's save this awful discussion for when the movies come out and everyone hates her.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Huh.

We lasted until the second page before people started dropping untagged spoilers.

I'm actually impressed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Huh.

We lasted until the second page before people started dropping untagged spoilers.

I'm actually impressed.

I thought this was the other thread.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

that's her backstory, not her character. do you even know the difference

It's HiveCommander, what were you expecting?

As for the UBW anime, it's certainly looking technically good, and the staff and studio behind it has a good track record, so fingers crossed. Besides, more Kalafina is always good.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

It's HiveCommander, what were you expecting?

As for the UBW anime, it's certainly looking technically good, and the staff and studio behind it has a good track record, so fingers crossed. Besides, more Kalafina is always good.

I thought that the musics were done by the guy who did Mahoyo soundtrack... Hideyuki Fukasawa.

I actually liked his work on Mahoyo A LOT, so I am pretty curious to see what he will do with Fate.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 25, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm gonna give this show a shot because of Zero, but I kind of hate this franchise as a whole, and a lot of these characters in particular. Should be interesting to see if those UFO guys can cut back on the stuff that makes my eyes roll so hard they burn my eyelids from the inside.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm gonna give this show a shot because of Zero, but I kind of hate this franchise as a whole, and a lot of these characters in particular. Should be interesting to see if those UFO guys can cut back on the stuff that makes my eyes roll so hard they burn my eyelids from the inside.

Well what makes your eyes roll.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's only page 2 and this thread is almost a condensed version of Beast's Lair.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gaius Marius posted:

Well what makes your eyes roll.

I realize that this sounds particularly reductive, but I think my issues can be best illustrated by comparing the masters:

-An evil priest
-Two smug mages
-A ruthless magic hitman
-A serial killer
-A stupid teenager
-A crazy person

Or

-5 stupid teenagers
-One of their teachers
-The evil priest again, who is also the mentor of one of the stupid teenagers

Both stories are silly, both take their silly story pretty seriously. Thing is, I have a MUCH harder time doing that when it's so blatantly clear who the target audience is. It's like the difference between a B-Movie and one of these Young Adult fiction flicks that keep coming out. It changes a lot of ancilliary things too; when King Arthur is a girl in Zero it serves to underscore how much Kiritsugu hates the idea of war and soldiery that he's such an rear end in a top hat to this courteous, noble king lady, but in Fate... it's so that there's another girl for Shirou to potentially end up with. Or at least that's how it feels to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

Ve meet again, Herr Nasu.

Honestly, the one thing that I'm glad to know is that, aside from Kalafina's Ending Song, Yuki Kajiura is going to keep her counterpoint-obsessed, regal-sounding rear end out of this adaptation. Also, isn't the director the dude in charge of the one KnK episode/movie with the most changes to the overall original?
Knk 6 has a few problems, but honestly I'd attribute most of them to the source material rather than any particular changes implemented (and to be honest the original story is kind of ridiculous in a bad way). There's one character death that was removed that I think shouldn't, but otherwise most of the issues with that movie I think are more ufotable just not being able to mold Nasu's original into something more passable like they were with the other films.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Both stories are silly, both take their silly story pretty seriously. Thing is, I have a MUCH harder time doing that when it's so blatantly clear who the target audience is. It's like the difference between a B-Movie and one of these Young Adult fiction flicks that keep coming out. It changes a lot of ancilliary things too; when King Arthur is a girl in Zero it serves to underscore how much Kiritsugu hates the idea of war and soldiery that he's such an rear end in a top hat to this courteous, noble king lady, but in Fate... it's so that there's another girl for Shirou to potentially end up with. Or at least that's how it feels to me.
You've hit the nail on the head as it were; stay night is absolutely more obvious who it is being written for than Zero. Though I think Arthur being female is just as dumb in Zero as it is in FSN.

For what it's worth the part of FSN that is most like what you would probably dislike is Fate and not the other two routes. Without going into specifics, some of what made the other two so much more interesting was just how off track they get from what is supposed to "normally" happen during this war. Especially a war fought primarily with teenagers. Heaven's Feel is probably the most extreme example of this but things get pretty out of whack in UBW too. It's sort of a narrative suckerpunch after the clean and tidy Fate with all of its "usual suspect" characters and subsequent roles for them.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
For all those people complaining about shirou being an idiot, I always like how much i disliked him early in the stories cause it makes him doing something awesome way more awesome. The fate route he hardly does anything worthy of note so most people's impression of him from the anime is pretty weak.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Compendium posted:

It's only page 2 and this thread is almost a condensed version of Beast's Lair.

It'll only be a condensed version of BL when we get an entire splinter thread over waifu wars and also start translating the material.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm pretty hype for Heaven's Feel. Ufotable ahould be able to make something great out of it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I do wonder how long it will be before we get our first power level discussion. Any bets?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Should I just post the Shiki can kill Servants image right now or should I wait? Maybe we can have more paragraphs mentioning poo poo about Heaven's Feel which has had one trailer that shows Sakura look towards the camera and that's it? I'm excited too, but we need to chill out here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Beef Waifu posted:

Should I just post the Shiki can kill Servants image right now or should I wait? Maybe we can have more paragraphs mentioning poo poo about Heaven's Feel which has had one trailer that shows Sakura look towards the camera and that's it? I'm excited too, but we need to chill out here.

Shiki, SHIKI, Shiki, or SHIKI? Do you consider SHIKI Tatari canon? Who would win in a fight? Assassin, Shiki, Assassin, Assassin, or Shiki?

Edit: Really, though. I'm hyped for this show. I haven't read the VN or even watched the 2006 anime. Though, pretty much everything has already been spoiled over the years, I'm still hyped.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 25, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I wonder if ufotable is going to reuse the magic mana transfer dolphins from the UBW movie?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I just hope HF gets more than one movie. There's way too much awesome poo poo in that route to try and cram it into 1-2 hours.

e: Also, it's very likely that ufotable is not gonna do the weird mana transfer dolphin thing, if the fact that dickworms showed up in Fate/zero largely uncensored is anything to go by.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e: Also, it's very likely that ufotable is not gonna do the weird mana transfer dolphin thing, if the fact that dickworms showed up in Fate/zero largely uncensored is anything to go by.
T-M themselves don't acknowledge the original exists anymore, what makes you think ufotable would?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Ufotable's crest worms did not look like the ones from the VN.

I don't think mana transfer has to happen all. It has been a while since I've read UBW, but I don't think it's something that needs to happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hommando posted:

Ufotable's crest worms did not look like the ones from the VN.

I don't think mana transfer has to happen all. It has been a while since I've read UBW, but I don't think it's something that needs to happen.

I think the Ufotable crest worms came from the all-ages remake, Realta Nua. It made the worms less....yeah.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The fights in this are going to blow F/Z the gently caress out

Nothing else matters

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The fight I want to see more than anything is from HF Kirei vs True Assassin. That poo poo is going to rule.

Nine Bullet Revolver will also be cool.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They could just like, avoid explicitly showing anything that's not appropriate for TV. That's basically what they did in FZ right?

Vengarr posted:

The fights in this are going to blow F/Z the gently caress out

Nothing else matters
Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing them animated well.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I had forgotten that this was going to be coming out so soon, and that it was goign to be UBW to boot, which has gotten me all excited... I can't wait. It premieres in little over a week, right?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I believe RN changes the h-scene to Rin drawing a magic circle on Shirou's back or something to that effect. So yeah we won't be seeing Dolphins most likely.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yarWSqrMDUs

So the first and second episode are both going to be an hour long.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the looks of that teaser I guess they are actually going to actually do the "Prologue from Rin's perspective, Prologue from Shirou's perspective" from the game. I'm not sure whether I'm impressed by that or worried people will get too bored to continue, though I guess it should be a little more engaging in animated format.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Is this series going to be streamed on NicoNico like Fate/Zero did? I enjoyed the endless river of memes flying through the screen.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Been getting a lot of reports about people spoiling material from this: the show hasn't even aired, I think you can avoid doing this very easily. Please be more mindful of this because it'd be a very silly thing to be probated for.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's an adaptation of a 10-year old VN, no surprise people assume everyone has seen it.

Early reviews of the premiere have been extremely favorable. Apparently the Archer vs. Lancer fight was given a special amount of love and lasted something like 10-15 minutes.

Can it be October yet?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I need to call my doctor, because that just gave me a boner lasting longer than 4 hours.

:getin:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I need to call my doctor, because that just gave me a boner lasting longer than 4 hours.

:getin:

The premiere was episode 1 and not episode 0, right?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Waffleman_ posted:

The premiere was episode 1 and not episode 0, right?

Episode 0 premiered everywhere but Tokyo. Tokyo's premiere had episode 1 due to hosting the seiyuu for Shiro/Saber at that screening.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Apparently both episode 0 and 1 are both 1 hour long :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Ten to fifteen minutes huh, I just came.

• Locked thread