Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cromlech posted:

Where'd Lancer go?

Probably got eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
Or skewered

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Or crashed.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Or clubbed.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Being Lancer is suffering...

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Shirou was really cute in the latest episode. :3:

I'm really enjoying watching this as it airs and it's helping me remember how despite how awful the deen fate anime was, I still obliviously liked it a lot since I knew nothing of the series at the time. Liking it all the more now that I know stuff. :allears:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
OK I'm starting to watch this more and Rin's personality outright baffles me. She goes from trying to kill Shirou in cold blood to inviting him over to her house for tea and rest in less than 5 minutes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

amuayse posted:

OK I'm starting to watch this more and Rin's personality outright baffles me. She goes from trying to kill Shirou in cold blood to inviting him over to her house for tea and rest in less than 5 minutes.

Because she really doesn't want to kill him. If she REALLY wanted to kill him, he wouldn't have lasted long enough to run down the stairs. Her whole personality is based around her not being quite as cold-hearted as traditional magi like Tokiomi despite trying to flaunt it that way.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Rin tries to be the cool mage, but isn't cool.

Kind of like Tokiomi who thought he was cool, but see how that turned out.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 23, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Because she really doesn't want to kill him. If she REALLY wanted to kill him, he wouldn't have lasted long enough to run down the stairs. Her whole personality is based around her not being quite as cold-hearted as traditional magi like Tokiomi despite trying to flaunt it that way.

That's kinda a weird way to show affection but I guess whatever that gets you going I guess

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

amuayse posted:

That's kinda a weird way to show affection but I guess whatever that gets you going I guess

I think the overall intention of her trying to pretend murder him was that no amount of telling him "Hey, everyone who enters this war pretty much dies." was getting through to him. Also she's been preparing for it her whole life while he literally stumbled backwards into it, that's gotta be frustrating.

Immediately afterward, Shirou shows that he's more prepared to fight than is immediately obvious so Rin comes around to accepting him. They do their truce/team-up thing because Rin is bad at playing the stone cold mage part.

That's what I got from it, anyway.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 23, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Rin seems to be a lot like Kiritsugu in that absent of the traditional Magus parenting (and probably because Kirei seemed offensively awful even as a child) that Rin probably develops kindness as a result of having a vaguely normalish pretend childhood while learning magecraft.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

She is constantly in conflict about how she should act as a mage and as a... normal human being, I guess.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Rin is a naturally nice person trying to act like a "proper mage" i.e. a sociopath, surprise surprise this causes her to act in a pretty schizophrenic manner. Imagine feeling obligated to act in a way that is completely unlike you, you would probably be pretty spastic too.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

amuayse posted:

I think that the whole "This guy just protected my face from a flying knife risking his own arm" has some weight in her decision.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 24, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

amuayse posted:

She is hot for Shirou, in case you couldn't pick that up from every single thing she does.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Shere posted:

I think the overall intention of her trying to pretend murder him was that no amount of telling him "Hey, everyone who enters this war pretty much dies." was getting through to him. Also she's been preparing for it her whole life while he literally stumbled backwards into it, that's gotta be frustrating.

Immediately afterward, Shirou shows that he's more prepared to fight than is immediately obvious so Rin comes around to accepting him. They do their truce/team-up thing because Rin is bad at playing the stone cold mage part.

That's what I got from it, anyway.

Actually, if you fail this portion of the game, she will take Shirou's seals and wipe his memory.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah she is trying to protect Shirou. Because she secretly loves him and is perpetually embarrassed about it, you see

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She protects him even in the routes where she isn't romantically interested in him. She saved his life at the start, even when she barely knew his name. I think it's just a matter of her being a good person, not just generic tsundereism. She cares about other people and doesn't want them to be hurt, but she's from a magic family in the Nasuverse and the closest thing she had to a parental figure for half her life was freaking Kotomine. Of course there's going to be conflict between 'gently caress everyone else magus supremacy' and 'but I don't want that random doofus to die'

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Endorph posted:

She protects him even in the routes where she isn't romantically interested in him. She saved his life at the start, even when she barely knew his name. I think it's just a matter of her being a good person, not just generic tsundereism. She cares about other people and doesn't want them to be hurt, but she's from a magic family in the Nasuverse and the closest thing she had to a parental figure for half her life was freaking Kotomine. Of course there's going to be conflict between 'gently caress everyone else magus supremacy' and 'but I don't want that random doofus to die'

There's also Shirou's connection to Sakura to keep in mind, and the fact that although she's not supposed to, Rin still thinks of her as a sister and keeps track of her, knowing that Sakura would be devastated if anything happened to her senpai.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

GhostStalker posted:

There's also Shirou's connection to Sakura to keep in mind, and the fact that although she's not supposed to, Rin still thinks of her as a sister and keeps track of her, knowing that Sakura would be devastated if anything happened to her senpai.
Yeah this is explicitly brought up in Episode 0 if you put a few things together. She outright says "how can I face her tomorrow" after realizing that Shirou was the one that got stabbed by Lancer, and that's when she decides to save his life. If nothing else, Tohsaka isn't going to let her sister's not-boyfriend die, even if he really tempts fate at times.

That of course only makes it more awkward when she falls in love with him, but eh.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 25, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

I didn't mention this because I didn't want to spoil stuff but then I realized that Fate/Zero was a thing that happened and that that connection is only made explicit in heaven's feel anyway so whoops.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

I didn't mention this because I didn't want to spoil stuff but then I realized that Fate/Zero was a thing that happened and that that connection is only made explicit in heaven's feel anyway so whoops.

We also got a less than subtle hint about it a couple of episodes ago.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Speaking of spoilers, a heads up for those who haven't read the VN. Do yourself a favor and avoid looking at the MAL page for the upcoming Heaven's Feel movie (Or anywhere else there might be a poster.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Just so y'all know, the CR release of episode 12 is delayed with no ETA. Hopefully they can get it up some time tonight.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just so y'all know, the CR release of episode 12 is delayed with no ETA. Hopefully they can get it up some time tonight.
Do we know if it's because of problem's on CR's end, or ufotable's? I saw something about "production issues," hopefully it hasn't gone Beyond Jiggly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

these things are usually on CRs end i think

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

hopefully it hasn't gone Beyond Jiggly.

Although that would suck, it would also make me laugh my rear end off.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Do we know if it's because of problem's on CR's end, or ufotable's? I saw something about "production issues," hopefully it hasn't gone Beyond Jiggly.

Aniplex does the subs, so probably them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Aniplex does the subs, so probably them.

this happened a lot with kill la kill, iirc

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

While waiting for subs, a PV for next cour came out. Raw of course, but is still gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKkOxH28Vm4

Also, people who watched the livestream have already started making gifs.

Saber a cute...

Needed that to prepare me for this:

EDIT: Spoiler tags break [timg] tags, but using [img] tags breaks tables... What to do? Shouldn't matter, since the episode already aired and subs should be out soon...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 27, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Part A: Shirou is a lovely third wheel on Rin and Saber's Cool Girls Day Out

Actually, I just realized that that spoiler is a greater spoiler that I'm only aware of because of tertiary information I've absorbed about this franchise through osmosis over time, so I'm deleting this other thing I said

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 28, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Uh, you might want to edit that or relocate it to the T-M thread.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Endorph posted:

There are no routes where she isn't romantically interested.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

OnimaruXLR posted:

[redacted]

Just in case it wasn't obvious, first time viewers please :siren:don't mouse over that obnoxious spoiler.:siren:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Sorry, I didn't realize the translation wasn't out yet.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

It finally is on CR!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

OnimaruXLR posted:

The translation being out or not isn't the problem, unless its the translation for a UBW episode in May 2015.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Well it looks like it's finally getting to the point where the plot stops dragging it's feet so much. Now we just gotta wait 4 months. I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the first half. The fights and stuff we did get were cool and all, but the pacing was awful.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Well it looks like it's finally getting to the point where the plot stops dragging it's feet so much. Now we just gotta wait 4 months. I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the first half. The fights and stuff we did get were cool and all, but the pacing was awful.

Post-credits preview says April

• Locked thread