Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Not at all.

I saw the ET-D75LE90 at this year's InfoComm show, and I used the ET-DLE030 for a little while on the PT-RZ670 (the big WUXGA laser model). What do you need to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Just curious to how good they look, any softness/distortion/vignetting/chromatic aberrations anything like that? They sound perfect for a certain very restricted space application we have but the client is super picky about image quality.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
About to build a 140 or possibly 150" AT screen out of spandex. Projector central's calculator seems to think the Optoma HD33's lighting will be bright enough if I keep the screen gain around 1.0

What other considerations should I be looking at in stepping up to this screen size ? I'm also considering building a stage for the screen.

Other upgrades may include phillips hue lighting, and repainting the walls a neutral non reflective colour.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

The MH630 is a business projector with a 2x speed color wheel that I'm willing to bet has non-RGB segments (which is how they get 3000 lumens out of it) and lovely contrast. It is a terrible choice for home theater.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger then! Good to know, specs-wise they looked identical when comparing them on a few sites.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Any opinions on the Epson 5030UB? I'll be going with a 100-110" inch picture on a dedicated screen with good light control in the room most of the time. Is it overkill at that price? It will be used primarily for "big" TV shows, blu-rays, and gaming.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Wish I had seen this thread before today. I have a Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8345 Projector sitting in the box awaiting install (once we finish the basement/media room).

Any thoughts on it? Got it for $750 post black friday on Amazon

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Do projectors usually support universal remote controls? I've got a LG PA70g, and a TiVo that supports universal remote control codes, but 1 none of the lg codes worked, and 2 I can't seem to find codes online for it. Any pointers?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to need to sell my Mitsu HC9000D, King, do you have any idea what I should sell it for? It has around 1500 hours on the lamp on high mode. If anyone here is interested I'll put up a formal post in the for sale forum.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Gunjin posted:

Just curious to how good they look, any softness/distortion/vignetting/chromatic aberrations anything like that? They sound perfect for a certain very restricted space application we have but the client is super picky about image quality.

I mean, it looked pretty fantastic when I saw it, but manufacturers are very careful to make their trade show presentations look good. I haven't had a bad experience with Panasonic lenses before, but I don't have any kind of hard data for you. Sorry.

jonathan posted:

About to build a 140 or possibly 150" AT screen out of spandex. Projector central's calculator seems to think the Optoma HD33's lighting will be bright enough if I keep the screen gain around 1.0

You should ignore those brightness numbers. They are approximations derived from the projector's brightness specification, and the HD33 never met its brightness specs. It's advertised at 1,800 lumens and actually produced about 1,000.

The recommendation for brightness off the screen is 12-16 foot Lamberts, assuming a room with no ambient light and few reflective surfaces (no white walls, no white ceiling, no glossy paint, curtains around the screen).

The HD33 puts out 900-ish lumens in Cinema or Reference mode with a fresh lamp at full power. Using a 1.0 gain screen, you'd get 15 fL at 140" diagonal and 13 fL at 150" diagonal. That's the good news.

The bad news is this:

If you use Eco lamp mode, light output drops by 20ish percent. That brings you to 11 fL @ 140" and 10 fL @150". Not bright enough.

Also: High-pressure lamps lose 20-25% of their brightness in the first 500 hours of operation, so ideally your "fresh lamp" setup should be brighter than you need. I don't think you can do that with this projector unless you bring in a high-gain screen or swap out lamps every 500 hours.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Any opinions on the Epson 5030UB? I'll be going with a 100-110" inch picture on a dedicated screen with good light control in the room most of the time. Is it overkill at that price? It will be used primarily for "big" TV shows, blu-rays, and gaming.

Unless there's a reason it won't work, I'd recommend the Sony HW40ES over the Epson 5030UB for your purposes.

Fog Tripper posted:

Wish I had seen this thread before today. I have a Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8345 Projector sitting in the box awaiting install (once we finish the basement/media room).

Any thoughts on it?

Great projector that's starting to show its age (it's essentially the same as the 8350, which came out in 2010). $750 is a good deal, though.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm going to need to sell my Mitsu HC9000D, King, do you have any idea what I should sell it for? It has around 1500 hours on the lamp on high mode. If anyone here is interested I'll put up a formal post in the for sale forum.

I know very little about the used projector market, but I would not expect to get more than $1000 out of it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

I know very little about the used projector market, but I would not expect to get more than $1000 out of it.

I saw a cosmetically damaged one going for 1500, but that doesn't mean it will sell.

Alright, well here is an HC9000D for sale:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688280

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 16, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Please recommend a projector for me. Looking for:

- 1080p
- Less than $1500, preferably at or below a thousand dollars
- It will start out in a room with an 9-foot throw but may move to a larger room in the future
- I'd like a 100" screen, and I'll be painting a rectangle on the wall
- Definitely want not-DLP
- Projector will be mounted right at ceiling level, if that matters

revmoo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 18, 2014

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
W1070 checks all those boxes, except the DLP requirement.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat that is cheap. It might be worth forgoing my dislike of DLP for that. The only other thing I don't like is that it's listed at 2200 lumens and there seems to be competing offerings with 3000 or more. Are lumens apples-to-apples or are they not worth comparing?

Is there a way to figure out throw distances on projectors? like 100" @ 5 feet, 200" at 15 feet or something? Seems like a spec that should show up on product listings.

EDIT: I found a throw calculator on Optoma's site and according to it I'm looking at a 80" screen from 9 feet. Looks like I can get over 100" with a short throw so I guess I probably should go for one of those.

EDIT2: This unit looks pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080-Gaming-Projector-Enabled/dp/B00M9D4CAK

EDIT3: Doh, it's too short of a throw, the screen would be larger than the wall haha. It's looking like I need something with zoom I guess?

EDIT4: gently caress waiting for advice, bought this: http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/DH1009

I spent a long time messing around with the Optoma throw calculator and this seems to fit all my needs quite well. Too bad it's DLP but it seems like LCD just isn't there yet.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 18, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

revmoo posted:

drat that is cheap. It might be worth forgoing my dislike of DLP for that. The only other thing I don't like is that it's listed at 2200 lumens and there seems to be competing offerings with 3000 or more. Are lumens apples-to-apples or are they not worth comparing?

Is there a way to figure out throw distances on projectors? like 100" @ 5 feet, 200" at 15 feet or something? Seems like a spec that should show up on product listings.

EDIT: I found a throw calculator on Optoma's site and according to it I'm looking at a 80" screen from 9 feet. Looks like I can get over 100" with a short throw so I guess I probably should go for one of those.

EDIT2: This unit looks pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080-Gaming-Projector-Enabled/dp/B00M9D4CAK

EDIT3: Doh, it's too short of a throw, the screen would be larger than the wall haha. It's looking like I need something with zoom I guess?

EDIT4: gently caress waiting for advice, bought this: http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/DH1009

I spent a long time messing around with the Optoma throw calculator and this seems to fit all my needs quite well. Too bad it's DLP but it seems like LCD just isn't there yet.

High lumens usually are only good for conference rooms as you end up with a piss poor contrast ratio. High dollar projectors are usually mid 1000s lumens.
Were you looking for home theater or conference style, because you got a conference style projector.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
20,000:1 is bad?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

revmoo posted:

That contrast ratio is measured "Full On / Full Off", which is essentially the same as "dynamic contrast" (In other words, it's meaningless).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Well I guess if it sucks I'll send it back. I feel like I'm getting old because every time I sit in a conference room I'm amazed at the projector image quality.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Any recommendations on where to get a replacement bulb for an Optoma HD20? I've had the "replacement suggested" message coming up for months now. I think we're just shy of 5,000 hours, but I run it on eco mode almost all of the time.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

revmoo posted:

First, never trust official contrast ratio claims. They're always bullshit.

Conference projectors generally have very bright whites at the expense of dimmer colors. This is great for your average presentation (which tend to emphasize text legibility above all else), but terrible for watching movies. The Benq W1070 might be dimmer on paper, but the brightness it does have is maintained equally across all colors so you get a vivid, properly-saturated image. That Optoma is engineered to make Powerpoints look great in a lit room, not to make movies look great in a dark room.

Also, if you hate DLP because of rainbows you'll probably hate that projector since it's almost certainly got a two-speed color wheel, rather than the six-speed wheel of the W1070.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

revmoo posted:

Oh boy.

You couldn't contain yourself for less than a day and ended up buying a garbage projector.

Now that it's too late, here's some words:

With (very) few exceptions, projector specifications are untrustworthy. Assume that lumens and contrast are rosy at best and outright lies at worst. You can generally compare specs only within one manufacturer's line (i.e. you could compare the Optoma GT1080 against the Optoma HD26), but not across brands.

Video projectors are for video. Business projectors are for business. Business projectors are optimized for white brightness, whereas video projectors are (mostly) optimized for color accuracy and contrast.

You mention that the W1070 has only 2200 lumens, and that's bad, because there are other models with over 3000. Do you know what a lumen is, or how to determine how many you need? How do you know that more = better? On a 100" diagonal screen, you only need about 500 lumens. Too much light will give you a headache, and it usually requires a high-wattage lamp, so it'll cost more to run and act like a space heater. A loud space heater.

Another point to consider: those lumen specifications are maximum output in "who gives a gently caress about color or contrast" mode. In Movie mode, the W1070 puts out almost 1,800 lumens out of the rated 2,200. The nearest comparable Optoma video projector to the thing you bought (which is the HD26) puts out less than 1,000 lumens in Movie mode despite being rated at 3,200.

DLP Projectors use color wheels, which is why you were trying to avoid them. I recommend the W1070 over and over again because of its fast color wheel with no non-RGB segments. The projector you purchased uses a slow color wheel, and I'll guarantee there's a sizable white (clear) segment in there. Slow wheel + white segment = RAINBOWS AHOY.

If you want an LCD option, you can get either the Epson Home Cinema 8350 or the Epson Home Cinema 3000, both of which are under $1,500.

For throw information, Google "projector calculator." Click first result. Ta-da. While you're there, maybe read some reviews from people who know what they're doing.

I'm proud of the rest of the thread regulars for explaining all of this, but I answered all of your questions several times over in the thread already and it's only three pages long.

Return that poo poo and get something worthwhile.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Like the one I have in the SA mart :awesomelon: Which is perfect for a 100" screen. I'm selling it since I run a 135" screen and at that size the bulb brightness drops hard after 1000 hours, which is kind of a big deal at that size. Not so much on a 100.

Close up on a 100" screen seems to be the sweet spot according to this calculator.

edit: aww, just saw the 9' room. It will only project an 80" screen at a 9' throw, so even smaller in a 9' room.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 19, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really want to make my projector fantasy a reality just because I know I can do it right via research + King Hotpants' willingness to answer even dumb questions.

Thanks for this thread. My wife hates you. :)

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

sellouts posted:

I really want to make my projector fantasy a reality just because I know I can do it right via research + King Hotpants' willingness to answer even dumb questions.

Thanks for this thread. My wife hates you. :)

Answering dumb questions is like 50% of my job. I have a lot of practice.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah so I'm a big dummy. Anyway I have this unit and I'm actually pretty impressed except for one critical issue; the keystone adjustment leaves behind shaded areas that outline the display area.

Is this a common problem? I don't recall seeing this issue on any other projector in the past, but it's completely awful. For all I know it's a config setting somehow, but pushing brightness to zero doesn't make it go away.

I'll happily order the W1070 on Monday if it means I don't have this lovely keystone effect.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -