Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Haaaa, I can tell I haven't been on the forums lately, because I was surprised to see this thread. Hurray!

Anyway, I'll probably get the standard goonproj BenQ. I know that the screen makes up a big part of the experience, though, and unfortunately, I don't really have a spot where I can have a permanent screen. If I put it in the living room, I'll be divorced once I'm done hanging it, and the basement in our new house has a gently caress all huge useless fireplace that takes up most of a wall.

So, I'm left with having to go with a collapsible, portable screen. Are there any I should bother with, with the understanding that they'll probably look terrible in a couple of years?

Additionally, has anyone used the W1070 outside? Lots of families in the new neighborhood, and we have awesome neighbors, so I think that might be fun to do in the yard sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

King Hotpants posted:

I don't like the inexpensive Epson projectors and I don't see that changing much any time soon. Below $1,500, your best bet is (and likely will remain) the BenQ W1070/HT1075.

What would you think if the newer Epson HC2040 only cost $500 USD? Best Buy Canada is having a big sale with this guy $300 off and it's enough to make me think about it. It seems like the only real weakness (for me personally, that is) is its weaker black levels compared to the competition?

EDIT: NVM, missed it as they went out of stock. Definitely going to keep an eye out for future sales, though, because I think it's a great price.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 4, 2015

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

So I've gotten interested in buying a pico projector. I've got a small bedroom (about 8' long) with a big white wall and want to get something I can hook my tablet up to for streaming TV and movies and some light gaming. I'm not super fancy when it comes to picture quality, they all do HD to some extent, I just want a projector that will throw a good brightish image onto this big blank wall. My bigger concerns are finding a projector that's fanless or super quiet and one that doesn't suck when it comes to inputs (I've read some picos have issues with decoding external sources or just plain screwing up external video inputs).

I know picos are not pro level products and it will never be as good as some 9000 lumen projector, but is there anything on the market that works and could be considered pretty good quality? I have a curtain on the 1 window in the bedroom so I'm not too concerned about the room being too bright. It would be nice to use the projector not have to draw the curtain (only have to put the shade down) to watch some TV in the afternoon but I can deal with that. Any recommendations or do all the picos suck?

Budget?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll post in that thread.

Considering you can buy in wall power kits that do the same thing for wall mount TVs, I don't see why not. The only difference is that I'm doing a ceiling and wall run and not using a kit.

To keep it to code, you can't have a device power cord inside the wall. What op needs is to install an outlet in the wall behind the television (it doesn't have to be a "real" outlet, as I believe those kits that come with a connecting cable for inside the wall are actually up to code).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sextro posted:

Just scooped one of these http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-CP-X255.htm for $30. Did I do alright? I wasn't really planning on starting a home theater or anything, but what am I looking at for getting a screen/sound setup on the cheap to go with this?

Honestly on this sort of budget I'd get a can of the wall paint that replicates a screen and hook it up to a DVD / retro gaming library. Could be a fun little nook.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Uh jesus you guys, you're breathing that poo poo. Maybe you should look into better air filtration before buying a projector?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'd get the LG PF1000U personally. LED, quiet, ultra short throw means no weird furniture arrangements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Went to an RV park, never did the RV thing (I'm a tent guy), and we did a movie night for the kids with my old projector against the sun shade.

fun!

I think I've already decided on doing movie nights in the summer next year, outside. I've been looking and it seems like the Epson HC1040 might be what I go with - cheap, bright as hell, and replacement bulbs are only $79. Not my first choice for primarily inside watching, but it should be great for outdoors, since it'll be bright enough that it won't need to be hugely dark.