Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Hey Projector thread, I'm pretty keen on the BenQ W1070 or something in that price range, but my setup forces me to install the projector about 1.5' to the left of the room center. I understand that the 1070 doesn't have horizontal lens shift. Is there a comparable projector that does? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

King Hotpants posted:

You either have to get an LCD projector like the Epson 8350 or step up to the BenQ W7500 which has horizontal shift. None of the cheap DLPs have horizontal lens shift.

Bummer, well, maybe there's a workaround i can achieve with the 1070, otherwise I'll do a smaller screen and rotate the room 90 degrees. One other question: As someone who has never really used a HT projector let alone this specific model, how flexible is it in terms of adjusting image size. Like let's say I get everything set up and decide a 120" screen in my living room is way too large, how much am I able to shrink the picture down using the menu system on the projector?

If I did decide to go with the Short Throw variant, is there any disadvantage to that option in terms of picture quality or is it simply a matter of "if you put a short throw projector in a larger room if you changed residences in the future, the picture will be too big"

Thanks!

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

just picked up the 1070 and a 100" Vapex electric like a good goon. Thanks for the advice Aeka and Hotpants

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I can't vouch for the electric, but please let us know how it works out.

Well, I got cold feet and cancelled the screen. When I started to actually consider the logistics of hiding the cord coming from the screen, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I've instead opted for a Draper Luma 2 106" manual pulldown. I can more easily hang it from my ceiling and the enclosure is white which better matches my decor. Hopefully I didn't make a stupid decision! I'll post some pics when all is said and done.