Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Read the OP and skimmed the thread, but I have a bit of a different situation since I'm working in rural West Africa, so a situation more akin to a military deployment than setting up a home. Fwiw, the first time I ever saw a pico projector was while stuck in a bunker in rural Afghanistan during a rocket attack in 2010 and a guy was playing animated shorts off his iPhone, projected with a pico onto the bunker wall, with a little soda-can type speaker, and it was the coolest thing I'd seen.

* Budget: optimally US$100-200
* Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?: really minimal requirements, essentially after it gets dark out and we can't do civil engineering stuff, we're going to sit in a cinderblock house with a small portable generator outside, and watch movies on someone's laptop. So our only real desire is a movie-viewing experience more pleasant than four people clustered around a MacBook. We have a couple of those twist-pop fist-sized speakers we can daisy-chain together. So this is some pretty low-fi poo poo where we just want a larger image that can be charitably categorized as "watchable".
* How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer: Don't care/big. Not going to be any space larger than an American living-room, so even like a 3ft image would be helpful, but bigger is cool and our sharpness standards are near-nil
* Are you going to use a screen?: hell no, cinderblock wall, whitewashed if we're lucky. I would expect we can get the room pretty dark to watch it since we're not going to have a ton of lighting anyway
* Placement restrictions: none really, we'll just set it on the floor or on the seat of a chair or on top of some packing crate and point it at a wall.

Not trying to be glib or anything, just we have pretty low requirements for most of the things that are big deals for actual serious home entertainment stuff. We're more interested in it being reasonably compact (like the size of a VHS cassette?), not too finicky about power sources (like can we run it off a USB into the laptop, or have it plugged into a socket whilst it's running, or have at least a little standalone battery power), reasonably durable in a rural environment, etc.

I'm also not in the slightest an AV guy, so whatever model recommended hopefully its Amazon writeup or company website explains in excruciating detail what adaptor/cable/whatever I need to plug it into a MacBook, and hopefully isn't too complicated. Thanks for humoring me on a very low-tech question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU