Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I currently have a 65" Samsung 4K LED that I sit 16.5' back from, against a wall that could easily accommodate a 120" screen, and every time I look at the large amount of blank wall space that surrounds the TV, I get the itch. I've toyed with getting a projector into the space in the past, but the way the room is set up and the vaulted ceilings means I could never quite crack how I'd mount it or handle all the wires for the various things I'd want to run through it. These USTs seem to solve all the logistical problems I had with that, so I'm back to seriously considering the projector life.

A couple questions:
1) Do USTs require special screens vs. a traditional projector screen?
2) Similarly, does the nature of a UST mean I should plan for a static, mounted screen vs. a retractable/pull down screen?
3) Are there any anticipated leaps forward for USTs in the near future that would suggest I should hold off for a bit rather than investing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

This is my 120" screen

https://www.projectorscreen.com/spectra-projection-vantage-120-ust-alr-clr-projector-screen-for-ultra-short-throw-projectors.html

I wish I could have gone 135" but from what I found going up even to 130" would have increased the price by nearly 60% so not worth it. I think projectorscreen.com also didn't charge me sales tax so that's nice. I read somewhere during my research that the actual equipment in china that manufactures this lenticular style fabric is only 120" wide so for wider screens it involves splicing pieces together which makes larger screens currently rare and expensive. Don't know if it's true or not but it would certainly make sense. The Spectra 120 is 2299 while the 130 is 3599, a 57% increase in price for a 17% increase in surface area. Crazy.

Thanks for the info! Your projector seems the ideal way to go for USTs. At the moment, my biggest question is on the screen side of things. I’m still struggling to understand the difference between the screen you linked and other 120” ALR 4K screens that could run half/quarter the price on Amazon and whatnot. I’m guessing they might just be lying about 4K support or the amount of ambient light they reject, and since I will be using this in a non-perfectly controlled environment, I’m willing to pay more for a better light control situation, just hard to tell for a newcomer what aspects are actually important to compare or what brands are trustworthy.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

It’s a living room with black out curtains, but open concept to a dining room and kitchen, the kitchen of which we don’t have any curtains. It’s manageable but I also need something that can be used during the day for kids or whatnot when it’ll still be light outside or we don’t want to necessarily turn off all the lights.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

BrainDance posted:

I didn't know this was a real thing, when I was shopping for screens they all said 4k and I thought it was just some marketing bullshit like a Windows compatible mousepad or something. How does a screen not resolve 4k fully? It's just light, the screens not actually doing anything?

I’m no expert on this, but it has something to do with the screens not actually being flat. Some are configured with a bump for each pixel in a 720p image, which helped make things sharper back when that was the best the projector could output, but that causes fuzziness of a image that is higher resolution than that. Also with the way that some projectors pixel shift in order to generate a 4K image rather than outputting it natively.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Any fresh deals today on USTs or screens?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

crackhaed posted:

In short, it seems that unless one is willing to spend $10k or more, a projector is really only for those who prioritize a massive image over anything else.

It me.

~$5200 on my Formovie Theater and 120” Spectra Vision ALR screen, and despite being hesitant on dropping that much on a new set up when I’ve never had a projector and never spent more than $1200 on a TV previously, its quickly become one of my best purchases ever. Moving from a 65” screen to a 120” screen has just made every aspect of my viewing/gaming experience so much more enjoyable. My previous TV was 7-8 years old and nothing special, so it’s also a big step up in picture quality for me as well. I can definitely see going back to a regular TV once micro LED or whatever enables TVs of this size that don’t cost six figures, but until then I’m going to enjoy this for a long time.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I thought the Formovie UST 4K was on sale for 2499 at one time but I may be misremembering. It’s 2999 right now which is the same price I paid close to a year ago. May be due for a price drop soonish

I too paid $2999 for it last Black Friday, but there was a bundle deal with the screen I also bought that knocked $350 off.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I’ve had the aforementioned Formovie Theater for about a year now and love it. At $3k it’s obviously more expensive than a traditional projector but at the time definitely seemed like the best UST value proposition. Not sure if anything has changed in the past year or if this Black Friday/Cyber Monday will bring some further price drops with it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Just curious to hear thoughts. I have a massive media space. Currently I have a 60" tv in there and its great but I was going to move that to a seperate room for gaming and try to get something bigger for the space I have. The space I have could accommodate a screen up to 107" diagonally.

My question is, if my intent is only to watch content on this (I don't need low latency for gaming) is an ultra short throw projector a good choice to try and get a screen close to 100" in diagonal? I haven't been able to follow projector tech nearly as close as I have with tv tech.

It definitely seems like the formovie is the sweet spot.

Is a $1k projector screen really worth it?

My Formovie is currently running a 120" set up, and I didn't find anything else close to being able to support that size at this price point to replace my 65" traditional TV.

My screen ended up being closer to $2k (the manufacturing process was set up for 100" so you needed to basically pay for two screens worth of material to get above that), but unless you plan to run this in a perfectly light controlled room, you are probably going to want to pay the premium for a UST-focused screen. My set up is in a room with windows on three sides and open floor plan to the rest of the house and I can still get a great image with lights on due to the light deflecting properties of the UST ALR screens.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Any brands of projector screens that are recommended? I just need a simple fixed projector screen, nothing that folds or moves or anything.

I'm no expert, but here is the 100" version of the screen I have. Simple rigid fixed screen, but focused on light rejection: https://www.projectorscreen.com/spectra-projection-vantage-100-ust-alr-clr-projector-screen-for-ultra-short-throw-projectors.html

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

I got a 100 inch pull down screen off Amazon for $100 and I have zero complaints. Your needs and expectations may vary from mine, of course.

Anything is better than those lovely nylon screens. I need to repaint my living room and may refinish and paint one wall specifically for projecting on.

For a UST or a regular projector?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Yeah, again, not an expert, but my understanding is that while even a blank wall might be fine for a regular long throw projector, because all it has to do is bounce the image straight back out, for USTs you have to pay the screen tax because bouncing the image straight back out displays it on the ceiling. My screen is a fresnel lens like material that can deflect images coming from below outwards to the viewer while reflecting light coming from any other direction straight back out or absorbing it with a dark coating on the backside of the lenses. Apples to oranges.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

BonoMan posted:

While I'm sure a more specialized screen will get you a better result given the angle... I don't think this bolded part is right. It should still display fine on the wall.

FWIW, I tried projecting mine on my wall before I installed the screen, and the image was super distorted and there was a duplicate image on the ceiling. I didn't have a regular projector screen to compare it to, but wall was definitely not an option for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that's odd. Should not bounce off the wall unless there's something weird with the wall. Here's a guy setting one up in daylight on a blank wall and obviously it'd be better with a screen, but it's def not bouncing to the ceiling or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNep3cDLFU

Besides the fact that it's super light in that video, which would wash out off the reflected light you'd see when it is dark, you can definitely still see instances where the light is bouncing onto the ceiling:

e: apparently the attached image isn't going to load. It's at the 5m30s time

Klungar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 4, 2023