Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You don't have to but it makes a big difference. I spent more on my screen than I did on my projector (W1070) knowing that the projector will be upgraded in the future but the screen will be with me waaay longer. In the past I did the opposite and had an expensive projector and a $100 piece of laminate on the wall as a screen. It did the job but there's no comparison to an actual screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
If you're Canadian, memoryexpress.com has refurbished W1070s for $599 right now. I bought my refurbished W1070 from them a year ago for $799, which is now the price of a new one on the site.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Can anyone recommend a mount for the W1070 that allows for minor adjustments up and down, side to side, and back and forth without the need for a tool? The one I have is annoying and I have to loosen bolts with a hex key to make an adjustment which in turn affects another.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
W1070 checks all those boxes, except the DLP requirement.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have the W1070 and it's in a tight space as well, I ended up getting a right angle HDMI connector so it would fit. Maybe that would work for you. Also the W1070 seems pretty tiny to me, I can't imagine there would be (m)any that are much smaller than it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Just do what looks best to you. I prefer an image that's overly sharp and quite dark while I'm sure others do not.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I love the NP and have two but kept an HTPC for my projector as it can change frame rates and the NP can't. There's the whole color thing too. Why did you switch to the NP for your projector?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I think the BenQs are short throw projectors. Mine is about 10-11' from the 115" screen. There are screen calculators you can use to see how big a screen you can have at a particular distance. It might be hard to narrow it down to a sub-$1000 projector at the exact distance with the exact size screen you have. If you don't want to spend a lot, get the BenQ and move the projector mount forward.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Mine is 115" at 11' so I don't think you'll get that big at 8-9.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I've been checking up on projectors every couple years, namely to see if a bright, affordable 1080p LED projector would ever come out.

What the hell is this "LG PF1500" madness?!: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127970-REG/lg_pf1500_dlp_projector.html

Is it my imagination or is that far and away the brightest LED projector from a real brand for under a grand? 1400 lumens seems crazy high.

Seems to be a good projector according to reviews.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

SwissCM posted:

This is a bit more broad than just projectors but I don't know where to post it. I'm doing some preliminary organisation of the renovation of my living room. I did a pretty accurate model of it in sketchup and added a bunch of notes to it to give a general idea of what I'm going for (except for the styling).

I do need help with the screen. Is it worth getting a custom one? I don't need it to roll up or anything, it can be permanently placed on the wall.

Another is a ceiling mount. You'll notice I just shoved a prefab projector model onto the support beam. I used a guide for the projector I want (listed in the picture) for the best placement ratio and it was right there. What would be the best way to mount this? How do I best deal with the cabling? Also I plan on having a HDMI outlet dedicated to a Vive VR HMD in the same spot, no idea how to do this but I guess the VR stuff is uncharted territory.

Anything else I need to keep in mind would be helpful too. It's going to be a major makeover and I want to get it right.

I've built two home theaters in two homes I've owned/own. The first one I did I spent $3,000 on the projector and $150 on DIY screen. On my second I spent $1,000 on the projector and $1,500 on the screen. The cheaper projector with the better screen looks way better than the more expensive projector and the DIY screen. The screen you can keep forever, while the projector you will likely upgrade. I think it's worth spending the money on one.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm using the W1070 with my screen. My old projector was a Panasonic AE3000. That was WAY more flexible. That would shift up, down, left, right, and zoom right from the remote control. It also remembered lens position so I could switch between 2.35 and 1.85 movies. The W1070 only very slightly moves up and down, and you can zoom in and out, all manually from the projector. Kind of a pain to get it perfect, which is something I still haven't done and need to do. It's off slightly and I've had it almost two years.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
W1070 should be less than that, it's around $620 CAD (refurbished).

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Differences between the two:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1912433-benq-w1070-vs-ht1075.html

Calculator for determining optimal distance and screen size:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT1075-projection-calculator-pro.htm

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I like the PF1500 but think I'll wait until something similar can do 4K and is brighter.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I don't think you'll find something that bright for that cheap that's also portable.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
LG PF1500

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Solid. Wish I had one.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I live in a 70 year old home with my W1070 in a dusty basement and I've had no issues. Had it going on three years now.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Unless they're capable of HD resolutions I can't see anyone paying for them.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
so the front l/c/r are up by the screen and all point down towards the ground? that must sound like poo poo. why not at least use in-wall speakers for the fronts?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Years and years...my W1070 is four years old and I've replaced the bulb once.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
the OEM bulb that came with my W1070 exploded after about 2500 hours of use. i bought a 3rd party bulb for $90 off amazon and it's been good since.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Want to upgrade to 4K and HDR. About to pull the trigger on a 5040UB unless you guys have other suggestions

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
look for a refurbished projector to save money. i bought one 5+ years ago and it's still going. on my second replacement bulb.
edit: if it's old and not being made and still hasn't dropped in value, maybe it won't go much lower. i looked at Panasonic projectors and was surprised that some from nearly 10 years ago were still expensive. i guess it's because if you throw a new bulb in it, it's basically new(ish) again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

What is the DLP Rainbow Effect?
Nothing can spoil a binge session of “Game of Thrones” on your home cinema setup like flashes of colored lights on your screen. This infamous, momentary flashes of blue, green, and red shadows are known as the DLP Rainbow Effect.

Also known as color breakups, the rainbow effect is perceived as brief stints of sequential light flashes. These disturbances show up, especially when a bright object shows up against a darker background in the projection. While some people do not notice this distortion, it is quite disturbing for those who do.

The Cause of the DLP Rainbow Effect
The rainbow effect is possible on a broad range of DLP projectors that use single chips. This phenomenon occurs because these projectors use separate chips that produce color sequentially (red, blue, then green.) That is, the projector displays all of an entire color before moving on to the next.

However, this color reproduction occurs at speeds that are undetectable to the eye, allowing us to see all the produced colors as a single image. On cheaper and aged DLP projectors, this color production is handled by a rotating color wheel.

The DLP rainbow effect is often noticed on the images from older and cheaper projectors which sport slower color wheels. The tricolor production is seen by some people on projectors with such slower wheels, especially when a bright (white) object shows up in the film. White portions of the screen are made by flashing all three color parts (red, blue, and green) at once, making the rainbow distortion markedly visible.

What projectors are affected by the DLP Rainbow Effect?
Virtually all DLP projectors exhibit the rainbow stroboscopic effect. However, the effect is more easily noticed in older and cheaper projectors that sport slower rotating balls. The faster the rotating ball, the lower chances of a user experiencing the effect.

Who can see the DLP Rainbow Effect?
The Rainbow effect affects only a small portion of projector viewers. However, for this lot, it can be particularly troublesome.

For the highly susceptible, the rainbow effect is an absolute deal breaker, and their only option is getting a projector that works around this problem. Others are mildly susceptible, and only notice the light strobes when they fixate on them.

Fortunately, a lot of viewers do not experience the effect at all. However, even if you fall into this category, it is important to note that the effect will be noticed by a percentage of your co-workers and family.

How to Minimize the DLP Rainbow Effect
People who are only mildly susceptible to the DLP rainbow effect can learn to live with it. With practice, they can even stop noticing altogether. In such cases, the user only sees the effect when doing rigorous head movements. Furthermore, the effect is only noticeable when a prominent white object shows up against a darker background.

Try LED and LCD Projectors
For severe cases, your best option may be getting a new projector. Newer DLP projectors feature faster speeds that make the DLP rainbow effect less likely to show up. Another alternative is getting a projector such as this Optoma LED projector. LED further reduces the chances of the distortion popping up.