Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
I'm looking for a projector, but not for home theater use. I ref for a roller derby league and we use a projector to show the scoreboard. I'm trying to figure out which projector to buy that is:
- cheap
- uses cheap replacement bulbs

Unfortunately, those are by far the two most important criteria - especially cheap bulbs since that will be an ongoing cost. I'll probably be looking for a used projector. Other criteria are:
- resolution of at least 800x600, from what I've seen of the scoreboard software 4:3 is preferred
- relatively bright since it's used inside a lit (but not well lit) venue; all the text is very large and high contrast so this might not be too important
- not sure how important this is to specify, but we currently use a VGA input so I guess it would be nice to have that as well as DVI/HDMI

We do project on a screen, but I don't know any details about that except that it's 4:3-ish.

Any brands/models in particular I should look for or avoid? Any advice on buying a used projector besides asking how many hours are on the bulb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
First, thanks for recommending the Epson VS230 several months ago when I asked about a projector for a roller derby scoreboard. It looks like exactly what we need.

We had a borrowed projector to get us through last season so I've been keeping an eye out for good deals on the VS230. We'll need it pretty soon now and I see that Amazon has it refurbished for about $45 less than new. It's sold by Amazon and I'm assuming (and trying to verify) that it's refurbished by Epson as they sell them on their site too. It looks like it has the same warranty as a new one and all the same included accessories. Would it be a bad idea to get the refurbished one? I figure even if it's been used a little, the $45 savings covers almost half of a replacement bulb. I just know nothing about the quality of refurbished projectors in general. Thanks again.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Since the Epson warranty has a good reputation and it's being sold by Amazon, we'll give the refurbished one a try. We have a month to play with it before an actual game; that should be enough time to find any major issues. I wish I was buying something more exciting, but I appreciate the help.