Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Looking to get a projector, just to act as a tv substitute for watching tv, films and playing games off. Plan on streaming from a chromecast if that's important. Just looking to get some answers to see if it's even doable for what I want.

What's your budget?
If the BenQ W1070 is still the recommended introductory projector, I'm fine paying the £500-ish it's going for at the moment.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?
TV and films off a chromecast, games off a ps3/wii.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer
Doesn't matter really, as big as it goes I guess. I've got a whole wall free that won't really be used for anything else.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)
I'll probably get it without a screen to see how it looks, then pick up one on amazon later when I feel like it. I get that the screen is as important as the projector, but I was hoping just something like this would do the job. My walls aren't white, but they are a quite pale yellow, not sure if that's really good enough to manage without a screen even for the initial period. The room is 9'4" (2.84m) wide, dunno if that's too small to cater.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?
No restrictions, having it as high up on the opposite wall near the ceiling would probably be best if it's mountable like that and if the wires can reach that far.

I've included some pictures of the apartment and some idea of what the light levels look like during the day. In these pictures the blinds are half open, I'd prefer not to have to watch everything in the dark if I can avoid it. Hope I'm not expecting too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I was eyeing this model which claims 100" at 2.5 metres, which would be perfect. It gets really dark here at night, I'm a bit away from the road which is quiet anyway. They turn the streetlights off close to midnight too. That said, blackout curtains could be useful in the future, thanks for the recc.

I'll probably pick this up next month when I have the cash, I still need to get a washing machine, which is probably more important. The product spiel is actually pretty enticing, in particular the side projection. Is there any reason I shouldn't believe any of these claims?