Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

wolrah posted:

That said have you considered a Samsung "The Frame" TV?
When setting up a few 'stylish' conference rooms at our office I grabbed a few of the 85" 'The Frames' with some fake teak borders. The main reason they look good when off or in art mode is that they use highly matte finished screens, when most TV's are glossy. Helps them blend in and just look like, well, picture frames. They're pretty low quality and low brightness panels though, they do not compare to modern or price equivalent normal QDLED or OLED displays.

Excellent for what they are. We also got a 65" 'Serif' as a portable display and it's great, kind of looks like an art deco 60's retrofuture television. The strange plastic shell on it is useful for resting presentation laptops and gear on top of. Very odd lineup of TV's but cool they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I was in a similar boat a month ago upgrading from a BenQ W2000 ( which, and I may be wrong, is the HT2050 in different territories. Or at least very similar). Projecting to a 120" fixed frame in a somewhat light controlled living room space. The fans in the old girl were giving up and I wanted to head into the 4K space.

This'll be my experience from going in right at the low end of the 4K market, ended up buying a BenQ W2710i ( HT3550 in other territories). Set me back $2600AUD which I think was a pretty excellent price. If brightness is an issue, I would suggest stretching to the Epsons. I had played with the BenQ laser 4K's around the same price point (X300i) and while they can go brighter, the contrast was poor and I could see a fair amount of 'speckling' from the laser light source.

Of note with this generation of BenQ gear, they'll list HDMI 2.0 support on all models, but there are firmware updates available to give you full HDMI 2.1 support including VRR and FRL. I'm sending a 4K120hz 4:4:4 VRR signal to mine with no problems.

At 120", 4Ke is great. Obviously a noticeable jump from the older 1080p projector, very good image (after turning sharpening bullshit off... why does BenQ crank that stuff by default...). The downsides to buying in at the low end of the 4K market are fairly apparent though. When running HDR content this projector gets fairly loud and even in low lumen SDR modes the fan noise is much higher than my older W2000. You will also notice noise from the mechanical dynamic iris when running HDR content. It can be minimised a bit (stock settings are aggressive), but you can hear it going if the projector is close to your seating position, such as ceiling above for me.

I don't regret purchasing at the low end, but certainly if budgets are not too tight I would probably go for the LS11000/12000. For me, I wanted to replace a lot of my speakers to finally do a proper Atmos setup so saved a bit on the projector. It's a massive difference stepping up to a 4K/4Ke modern projector that supports HDR content. I didn't expect there to be such a big jump, the 1080p image from my older projector was very good already.