Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone have a mounted projector & in-ceiling speakers (like dolby atmos)? My wife & I are building a new house and I'm getting an entire bonus room. I want to pre-wire for 4 in-ceiling speakers and I'm heavily considering a projector due to the size of the room. I just want to make sure that when it's ceiling mounted that the speakers wouldn't shake the projector in some way.

I don't have any in wall or ceiling speakers, but if people don't get projector shake from having 2000 watts humping through numerous subwoofers, I wouldn't think the type of speaker that you'd ceiling mount (I'm presuming 6.5" driver size max) could possibly be an issue. Maybe if it was mounted shittily and like 1' away from your projector or something.

calandryll posted:

Now that we have completed a few things around the house. I'm looking at getting our home theater setup. I was looking at the BenQ W1070 but I saw thewirecutter recommended the HT2050. Now I'm not sure which one to get. Also, is there a big difference between the W1070 and HT1075?

Is there a recommended ceiling mount?

I've got this one and have been happy with it, though I'm no expert:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GEL9RW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

thebushcommander posted:

Is Optoma considered a bargain brand?

Yeah, generally in a good way. I think they were the first people to hit sub $1000 for a 1080p projector, which I had, and was happy with it.

Cheaper projectors generally are less bright and/or lower contrast so light control becomes a bigger issue, something to keep in mind.

And this is a short throw with no zoom so for a 120" image it looks like you're constrained to a throw distance of 4.4'.

quote:

Do you just buy passive 3D glasses for poo poo like this?

No, they're active and synced via RF and run ~30-40 bucks a pair.

quote:

Are you going to use a screen? - Probably a 120-135" Fixed frame screen like this

Seems fine to me based on the reviews. Elite is a good company from what I've read.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'd like it to be 70" in height and about 140" wide, but with no border at all. I know borders are good to "suck in extra projector light" or whatever but I'd be much happier with the extra 10" or so that borderless would get me, if such a thing exists.

I know this is too late to matter in this case, but the difference really shouldn't be 10" unless you're looking at some really oddball screens.

And with a screen that large the border becomes a much less significant factor. On an 88" wide screen maybe I'd consider going borderless (I wouldn't), but on a 140" wide screen you're talking about losing ~3" in screen width on something like a Da-Lite Da-Snap, so barely 2%. Functionally you will never notice a difference that small.

You will, however, easily notice a significant difference in light bleed/apparent contrast and overscan by not having a border.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

NatasDog posted:

I've discovered my house is pretty shoddily designed, and just opening and closing the front door sends shockwaves through the rafters that cause the projector to wobble.

Welcome to practically every house IMO. My projector is mounted to the ceiling in my lower level and I can tell if a cat runs past it on the floor above.

quote:

Over time the alignment goes off enough that I have to readjust it no matter how tight I make the set screws. Has anyone had any luck finding a motorized projector mount online or elsewhere? I've been all over the internet and the closest I've come is some boutique sites that ask way too much for what should just be a couple x/y adjustment motors in a small box.

What mount do you have? I'd say you don't need a motorized mount, you need a better quality mount that doesn't drift over time. I've never looked myself but I would assume that the reason you'll only ever find boutique stuff is because the main point is to get it set perfect and then never mess with it again, plus if you're going to spend money to accomplish that sort of thing instead of getting a fancy motorized mount you get a fancy projector with motorized lens shift.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gonna see if I can respond slowly enough to make this conversation take several years.

NatasDog posted:

Good to know I'm not alone here. Structurally speaking I just find it amazing how much movement gets transferred to the rafter beams.

Worth noting that since (in my case) the projector is taking like a 2" image and magnifying it to 134" on the wall which means that the projector only has to be moving ~1/140th of an inch in order for the image to be moving a very noticeable 1/2 inch on the screen, so it's probably not as much of an indicator of shoddiness as you might think. There's a ceiling fan near my projector that if I crank it to max causes the projector to wobble a tiny bit just from the air buffeting.

Personally I'd prefer to just stick the thing on the bottom shelf of a coffee table and not even gently caress with mounts. I would have done that with my current setup but it just didn't work out in terms of projector throw/distance/screen size.

quote:

It's this one from Amazon. You're probably right on the mount just being poo poo, as the price tag would imply. It'll probably get replaced here soon, I was just hoping maybe there was some kind of motorized solution someplace that I just hadn't stumbled on yet. It'd just be nice to sit on the couch and get everything aligned perfectly from that perspective vs the top of my step ladder.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a projector with proper lens shift since I'm just using a cheap $800 Epson; it's amazing how sharply prices jump once you start looking at good projectors though. I figure if this one ever gives up the ghost I'll pony up the dough for a better one, now that I know that the project as a whole worked out as well as it has.

Yeah that's the cheesedickiest projector mount I've ever seen. I've got a Peerless that was $122 and they're still annoying to adjust (but probably far less annoying than a cheap one) but I spent like an hour getting it to 99% perfect and haven't touched it for 2 years and it's probably 98% perfect at worst. I don't really know for sure but I'd guess that if you step up from $16 to $40 or $60+ you'll have better luck.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My current projector is over 6 years old (a Panasonic AE8000U). My guess is I might buy one more projector in my lifetime and it'll probably be something like an ultra short throw 4k laser. I assume 5 or 10 years after that you'll be able to buy 120"+ OLED screens for $1000 that come rolled up and you just stick them to your wall.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Leave the projector where it is and move the house foundation 12 inches.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Soooo, I feel like I check on the projector situation every 12 months or so or something and I went from "lol 4k projectors exist but its a Sony for $50 thousand dollars" to "they finally dropped under 5k but lol I'm not paying $4,999 for a projector" to "wtf now there's ultra short throw 4k projectors everywhere for under or around 3k."

Anyone have experience or opinions with them? I've got a Panasonic PT-AE8000U that has served me well for over 8 years but an UST on the floor rather than the ceiling would be an improvement in multiple ways plus I'm displaying 1080p on a 134" screen which means I could use a few more pixels

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is there a reason practically every UST projector lists 120” as the max screen size? Like some weird geometry thing with the presumably identical DLP chip they all use? Or will a 130” or 135” be fine just a bit dimmer?

I’m currently looking at the BenQ 7050i but mostly because it’s one of the ones I’ve seen that was released recently like I don’t particularly want to pay $3300 for an Optoma that was released in 2020.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My current screen is a Da-Lite 133" and I think it was 1.1 gain and I'm looking at what Da-Lite offers now for USTs and it's 0.45 gain which is kind of crazy to me and then I look at the prices and my 133" was under $1300 and a 120" Da-Lite 0.45 gain is $3911. So I'm not gettin that.

~135" basically fits perfectly in this alcove in my basement, anything 120+ will look good it's just that 135 is so perfect.

Looks like Silver Ticket has a 120 for 1800 bucks.

ustscreens.com (?) has a 120 for 1600.

Elite has a 123" for $1656, I think that's probably the front runner.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just ordered this

https://www.projectorscreen.com/formovie-theater-ultra-short-throw-projector-2800-lumen-triple-laser-ust-fengmi-t1.html

And a 120” screen. Excited for 4K in a size where the extra pixels actually matter, plus hopefully better black levels and ambient light rejection than I’ve currently got.

Also hoping I can unload my Panasonic pt-ae8000 and 133” da-lite on Facebook market place to subsidize some of it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It has begun

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

13” smaller than the screen I just took down. There’s not a huge selection of UST/ALR/CLR screens and they get pricy quick so I had to go from 133” to 120”.

Look at that piracy warning though I’ve never seen it so detailed and bright.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Klungar posted:

I currently have a 65" Samsung 4K LED that I sit 16.5' back from, against a wall that could easily accommodate a 120" screen, and every time I look at the large amount of blank wall space that surrounds the TV, I get the itch. I've toyed with getting a projector into the space in the past, but the way the room is set up and the vaulted ceilings means I could never quite crack how I'd mount it or handle all the wires for the various things I'd want to run through it. These USTs seem to solve all the logistical problems I had with that, so I'm back to seriously considering the projector life.

A couple questions:
1) Do USTs require special screens vs. a traditional projector screen?
2) Similarly, does the nature of a UST mean I should plan for a static, mounted screen vs. a retractable/pull down screen?
3) Are there any anticipated leaps forward for USTs in the near future that would suggest I should hold off for a bit rather than investing now?

1. You can project them on a flat white wall if you want to and it'll still look okay. Just won't be optimal. It seems like the Ambient/Ceiling Light Rejecting type screens are particularly effective with UST projectors just because the UST are close and below i.e. the opposite of overhead bulbs and a lot of ambient light. I would have liked to have left my old screen up to compare the two but we painted the room so I had to take the old screen down and I patched the holes for the mounting system because I didn't want to have to do it again later, so I never got the chance. I was always going to get a new screen because the old one had some dirt/splotches on it that I couldn't fix.

2. They make UST roll ups but unless you've got a really good reason I'd probably go with a fixed screen. What you gonna do, put fancy art behind your roll up to try and convince your hoity toity friends that you don't just watch MCU movies all day long? Come on. And before I bought a retractable I'd make drat sure it had really good reviews and didn't have problems with tension/creases/flatness/etc.

3. I'm biased obviously but I think it's a great time to buy. Even regular 4k projectors haven't been "reasonably" priced for that long, let alone UST 4k.

I've had 3 different projectors, 2 different screens, and set ups in 3 different houses. My last set up (A Panasonic DLP projector and a 134" 1.0 gain Da-Lite screen) lasted me about ten years before I really got the upgrade bug. I figure 10 years from now you'll probably be able to buy a 120" OLED flexible panel for 3k that comes rolled up and you just tape it to the wall, so it wouldn't surprise me if this were my last projector.

Light control with this PJ is less necessary than my previous "regular" PJ but it's not magical or anything. Or, rather, the saw-tooth/lenticular type screen really is kind of magic in that the black tops of the teeth reject overhead light while the white/gray bottoms of the teeth reflect the PJ Image, but magic still has limits. The image still gets washed out with too much ambient light. My theater room has huge windows all along one wall but I have 100% blackout curtains that do a good job of keeping the light out, and I don't have the problem of some rooms that really screw you, like big openings to other rooms where you can't control the light or big open stairwells that you see sometimes.

This is my 120" screen

https://www.projectorscreen.com/spectra-projection-vantage-120-ust-alr-clr-projector-screen-for-ultra-short-throw-projectors.html

I wish I could have gone 135" but from what I found going up even to 130" would have increased the price by nearly 60% so not worth it. I think projectorscreen.com also didn't charge me sales tax so that's nice. I read somewhere during my research that the actual equipment in china that manufactures this lenticular style fabric is only 120" wide so for wider screens it involves splicing pieces together which makes larger screens currently rare and expensive. Don't know if it's true or not but it would certainly make sense. The Spectra 120 is 2299 while the 130 is 3599, a 57% increase in price for a 17% increase in surface area. Crazy.

In the total dark (i.e. my theater room at night) this projector/screen combo is pretty amazing. Like approaching OLED levels of vibrance and contrast.

With a little ambient light leakage (my theater during the day) it's just as good, I would say.

With the overhead lights on it's still very watchable. The attached pics are dark vs room lights on and they're not 100% accurate because of the tricks your brain plays on you with regard to contrast, but they're pretty close I think.

With the curtains open i.e. severely light polluted it's watchable for things like sports or news or sit commy type poo poo but anything with dark scenes is going to look pretty bad.

It's actually a bit darker than in this pic, very much a medium gray and it has a sort of odd metallic looking reflection sometimes due to the different colored "saw teeth."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I basically just read a lot of AVSforum posts and watched/read a lot of reviews. There's one guy in particular that compared black levels/light rejection of a bunch of screen materials that I'll try and find. His pictures caused me to take an Elite screen out of my shopping cart that was IIRC $500 cheaper and go with the Spectra. e: here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/spectra-projection-vantage-alr-screen.3246587/ reading a bunch of this guys posts might not be a bad way to start some research.

But yeah cheaper ones I'm sure are going to be cheaper because of a combination of A)material that doesn't reject unwanted light as much, B)Material that doesn't resolve 4k fully, and C)lovely frame that doesn't work as well/hold up as well. I'm not so sure how much B is a factor. I absolutely believe it makes a difference but maybe not a huge one.

I can say going from Da-Lite to Spectra that the Spectra's frame is light years ahead. The Da-Lite was fine but not as sturdy and if I'd had tension/wrinkle issues there'd be no mechanism to correct it whereas the Spectra you can really adjust the tension all over the screen via these little springs and if it's not perfect you can fix it. That said, my Da-Lite was pretty decent in its lack of tension problems and I don't really have any complaints.

What's your light situation? Everyone has sort of different tolerances when it comes to that. You'll see two people look at the exact same setup and one thinks it looks good and the other thinks its dogshit. I've always had rooms that I could light control pretty darn well though never 100% so I've never really had that issue. I wonder if you could find a place with a decent return policy on a projector and try it out. I assume there's practically no decent screen sellers that will take a screen return though, they're so big and bulky and a pain in the rear end to assemble and its pretty easy to gently caress one up while youre putting it together if you're not careful.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 16, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

crackhaed posted:

Despite having a seemingly ideal space for a projector and a willingness to spent up to $5k on a setup, I have decided not to go with a projector and just get a 77" OLED.

I demoed some stuff that was in my general price range, so around $3k for the projector itself, saving around $2k for the screen. I was honestly shocked at how terrible it looked compared a modern TV, even on a decent screen in near complete darkness. It seems that in order to be happy with image quality, even under perfect conditions, I'd be looking at more like $12k-15k, so no thank you.

I figured I'd post this to help out anyone who is in a similar position. I'd rather move the primary viewing seating closer forward and have a large TV with, really a pretty perfect image quality in very flexible conditions. It's just a bummer that the next size up from 77" is 83" and it basically doubles the price. I figured I could keep another $2.5 in my wallet by just giving up 5" of diagonal.

In short, it seems that unless one is willing to spend $10k or more, a projector is really only for those who prioritize a massive image over anything else.

What did you demo and where?

I would absolutely believe someone could think a mediocre projector shown on a 1.2 gain screen in a Best Buy doesn’t look the greatest.

I refuse to believe someone could think a 4K laser on a good ALR 0.5-0.8 gain screen looks terrible. They look friggin great. Yeah, they’re obviously not going to be as good as an OLED, but terrible? No way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

crackhaed posted:

Yep, I know they're out there. I am just not one of them. Black levels are my biggest visual pet-peeve, by far, and projectors under $10k, even with a low gain grey screen in a dark as hell room just don't have very good blacks by modern TV standards. I kept trying to talk myself into it over a big OLED but then every time I look at an OLED, for what I like in image quality it's just a 10/10.

LCDs don’t have as good a blacks as OLEDs either so it seems like what you’re saying is every TV that isn’t an OLED has a terrible picture. Maybe qualify things a little further before coming into the thread and making GBS threads on everyone in it.

If you care about black levels more than anything else then you absolutely shouldn’t look at anything but an OLED. Some people are willing to give a little on that front to get more than double the screen area, it doesn’t mean their equipment looks “Terrible.”

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 13, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

My buddy has the gear for a great laser setup.

Every time we're over it looks terrible.
One light in the kitchen and the image gets poo poo contrast.

Completely terrible unless you have a dark basement/attic

Just shut off the light in the kitchen.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a basement or attic (I successfully light controlled a bonus room/loft at the top of the stairs in my last house) but “is open to the kitchen” is almost never going to be a recipe for a decent projector setup unless you only want to use it at night.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 28, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Last piece of my HT refresh has arrived but probably going to be a while before I get everything back together, new flooring still isn’t quite finished.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Back together. Very happy with it.

PS5 wouldn't detect the Denon as 4k capable for some reason so I had to run it straight to the PJ and use eARC for audio. And for some reason my Shield wants to be on all the time like I guess I understand why it powers on when I turn on the PJ due to CEC but it's like it's really insistent and will change the source to itself 2 or 3 times and I'll have to keep switching it back to the PS5 or Panason BD player.

Gonna put in a big plug for these things:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39165

They're not fancy but they're sturdy and they don't advertise it but they can be taken apart and reassembled in a lot of combinations. I have two and had combined them into 1 double height one and now have them broken into 3 smaller units, one which I managed to make the perfect height for the PJ by picking the right combination of leg lengths and feet.

Which I guess brings me to the only real negative is that you really need the projector at the exact correct location. It's not like my 15' throw Panasonic where a little lens shift or tiny bit of keystone correction can fix huge placement issues. This PJ really needs to be in the exact location +/- literally about an inch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I thought the Formovie UST 4K was on sale for 2499 at one time but I may be misremembering. It’s 2999 right now which is the same price I paid close to a year ago. May be due for a price drop soonish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You can come over to my house