Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Just curious to hear thoughts. I have a massive media space. Currently I have a 60" tv in there and its great but I was going to move that to a seperate room for gaming and try to get something bigger for the space I have. The space I have could accommodate a screen up to 107" diagonally.

My question is, if my intent is only to watch content on this (I don't need low latency for gaming) is an ultra short throw projector a good choice to try and get a screen close to 100" in diagonal? I haven't been able to follow projector tech nearly as close as I have with tv tech.

It definitely seems like the formovie is the sweet spot.

Is a $1k projector screen really worth it?

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Klungar posted:

My Formovie is currently running a 120" set up, and I didn't find anything else close to being able to support that size at this price point to replace my 65" traditional TV.

My screen ended up being closer to $2k (the manufacturing process was set up for 100" so you needed to basically pay for two screens worth of material to get above that), but unless you plan to run this in a perfectly light controlled room, you are probably going to want to pay the premium for a UST-focused screen. My set up is in a room with windows on three sides and open floor plan to the rest of the house and I can still get a great image with lights on due to the light deflecting properties of the UST ALR screens.

Any brands of projector screens that are recommended? I just need a simple fixed projector screen, nothing that folds or moves or anything.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

BonoMan posted:

Wirecutter's top pick in the "good for most people" catagory is the $200 screen that they say performed just as well as all the expensive ones they tried.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-projector-screen/

That is for traditional long throw projectors.

UST projector screens have some kind of weird material that makes htem better reflect light coming in from below while rejecting ambient light coming in from other angles.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I went deep in the rabbit hole this week and this seems like the absolute best bundle for me: https://www.formovie.com/products/formovie-theater-projector-alr-screen

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I wish there was a place I could go to view UST projects. I'm interested in one but still so worried about what they actually look like in person

Specifically the formovie projector but really any higher end ust.