Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
If you were building a viewing/dailies room in a small post facility - think 8 or so theatrical seats for clients - what projector and sound system would you want?

Price isn't NOT an object, but this would be a commercial venture so there's a lot of money that could be spent on it. It's not a finishing facility so while color is important this is more of an "experience" for clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wirecutter's top pick in the "good for most people" catagory is the $200 screen that they say performed just as well as all the expensive ones they tried.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-projector-screen/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kwolok posted:

That is for traditional long throw projectors.

UST projector screens have some kind of weird material that makes htem better reflect light coming in from below while rejecting ambient light coming in from other angles.

Ah! Sorry I missed that part. Makes sense.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Klungar posted:

Yeah, again, not an expert, but my understanding is that while even a blank wall might be fine for a regular long throw projector, because all it has to do is bounce the image straight back out, for USTs you have to pay the screen tax because bouncing the image straight back out displays it on the ceiling. My screen is a fresnel lens like material that can deflect images coming from below outwards to the viewer while reflecting light coming from any other direction straight back out or absorbing it with a dark coating on the backside of the lenses. Apples to oranges.

While I'm sure a more specialized screen will get you a better result given the angle... I don't think this bolded part is right. It should still display fine on the wall.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Klungar posted:

FWIW, I tried projecting mine on my wall before I installed the screen, and the image was super distorted and there was a duplicate image on the ceiling. I didn't have a regular projector screen to compare it to, but wall was definitely not an option for me.

Yeah that's odd. Should not bounce off the wall unless there's something weird with the wall. Here's a guy setting one up in daylight on a blank wall and obviously it'd be better with a screen, but it's def not bouncing to the ceiling or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNep3cDLFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Klungar posted:

Besides the fact that it's super light in that video, which would wash out off the reflected light you'd see when it is dark, you can definitely still see instances where the light is bouncing onto the ceiling:

e: apparently the attached image isn't going to load. It's at the 5m30s time

Yes I can see that, but I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say. There does seem to be some ambient reflection there, but it's not really distorting the image on the wall. I was picturing it being more catastrophic the way you were describing. (but yes a screen would fix that for sure)