Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've been checking up on projectors every couple years, namely to see if a bright, affordable 1080p LED projector would ever come out.

What the hell is this "LG PF1500" madness?!: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127970-REG/lg_pf1500_dlp_projector.html

Is it my imagination or is that far and away the brightest LED projector from a real brand for under a grand? 1400 lumens seems crazy high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

wolfbiker posted:

Seems to be a good projector according to reviews.

Yeah, I think I'll go buy one for work and be the guinea pig. It looks like a game changer to me, and LED projector that is more or less at a price/resolution/lumens/features parity with bulb projectors.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dominoes posted:

Does anyone have projector recommendations for a medium-size briefing room? I should keep the cost under $2k each, but $1k would be better. Not sure where to start. I'm ordering two. Must be able to order online. Needs to be ceiling mounted.

I'll let you know about the one I just ordered, the 1400 lumen LED one I linked, because that is exactly where it is going and how it will be mounted.

How is the lighting in the room? Any outdoor windows, or is it just a windowless room? Is the lighting dimmable or just on/off fluorescent? If you can keep it dim I'd recommend an LED projector because they are smaller/quieter, turn on/off instantly (bulbs need both start up and cool down times) and you don't have to worry about the bulb aging and needing replacement, or worse, randomly imploding in the middle of a meeting (I've seen that one too).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dominoes posted:

Cool. Windowless, non-dimmable fluorescent.

I've got the projector now and I gotta say, I think they're fibbing a bit with the 1400 ANSI lumens figure. Even with the blinds in my office down the whites are more like greys. There might be a few tweaks I can make but if you're going to try one out make sure it's on Amazon so you can return it if it doesn't cut the mustard.

It's too bad because the smart features, connectivity and form factor are outstanding. With companies like CREE that keep making huge strides in LED brightness I think we'll have brightness/cost parity with bulbs soon and make bulbs obsolete.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

If you Google around on projector forums, there's plenty recommendations for matte white or silver paint you can get from the hardware store that will rival the super-overpriced protector paint, that stuff is mostly marketing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

blugu64 posted:

I'm not a projector savant but can you guys tell me why the LG PF1000u would not work great for that situation?

Yeah that and the PF1500 are fantastic LED projectors if you can get the room pitch black as you say.

Do note that they outright lie about the lumens though so if you try to use them in anything brighter than a dimly lit room they suck hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just buy lamps as you need them instead of stocking up; they only get cheaper over time, and there's pretty much no model bulb that will stop existing because there's always new-old-stock and good margins involved.

You should buy from Amazon so you can get a refund if it detonates a day after you get it. If you're just keeping a bunch in a drawer for a year and they turned out to be DOA, no one will refund you. Plus Amazon can overnight them to you or whatever. I see bulbs fade out slowly over time much more often then they suddenly implode, and projectors keep a tally of bulb hours so you can have a good idea when it's time to freshen up.