Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
I'm inclined to follow your advice and get the BenQ. But didn't DLP projectors notoriously suffer from rainbow effects, due to the rotating wheel? Are they really better than a triple LCD like the Epsons?

Do I really have to install a screen? Can't I just use the white wall? Ok, I'll get a screen. I guess I need a low (1.0) gain, since people will be viewing it from a wide angle, right? Are there any other parameters that I should look for in a screen?

Also, do you have any advice about mounting the projector on the opposite wall, in inverted position, close to the ceiling? I can't fix it to my ceiling.

etatoby fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry

King Hotpants posted:

With either the W1070 or the Epson 8350 you'll probably want a gray screen to improve black levels. I have more experience with the high-end screen manufacturers (Draper, Screen Innovations, Stewart) but Elite makes a good screen. They used to just be so-so but they're improving.

I assume since you mentioned a white wall that all the walls are white, as is the ceiling. If you want to make your picture look way better, put up some curtains or at least paint (matte, dark color) to cut down on reflections.

Thanks.

The ceiling is matte wood. The walls are white, but I'll put up some curtains. It's a 16x16' room, with seating towards the back. What size screen would you set up for most comfortable viewing? I used the BenQ calculator and if I mount the W1070 to the back wall, upside down, close to the ceiling, the image will be 127-135". Do you think it's too large, or is it ok?

I'd like to avoid the "first row" effect in theaters, where the picture is so big to be uncomfortable.

etatoby fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 26, 2014

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
Here's a followup. I finally trusted OP and got the W1070. All I can say is: holy crap. This is the best technology product I've ever owned.

The picture is bright and crisp. The pixels are incredibly defined. The rainbow effect is only visible when there are bright white lines on a dark background, basically only when you look at the builtin test pattern. On a 135" screen, viewed from 10', a resolution of 1080p makes all the difference. Anything more would probably be diminishing returns, especially for movies. The black level is not perfect black, but definitely good enough.

I also bought a bunch of Estar ESG601 DLP-link 3D galsses (at $18 each, straight from Estar Shenzhen's alibaba page) and they are as awesome as the projector: light, durable, never losing sync.

The main problem is that 3D movies are really dark. I can't tell whether it's simply due to the natural 50% reduction in brightness (each eye only gets 50% of the projected light) or if the DLP-link technology makes it worse, by requiring the glasses to suppress the sync flashes. In any case the Estar glasses suppress the red flashes perfectly and never lose sync, even in full HD 3D, so I consider them a good product.

I'm thinking of placing a tab-tensioned screen out of view, behind one of the wooden beams, so that I can get better quality and more brightness for 3D movies. I'd be fine with either motorized or manual, but I couldn't find any manual tab-tensioned screens.

Is this the best bang for the buck? Elite Starling Tension, "SpectraWhite fiberglass" material (whatever that is) at 135" 16:9 for $946

Should I wait and buy this one instead? Elite CineTension2, "CineWhite" material, 135" 16:9 for $1,216

If the latter, should I get the 1.0 CineGrey or the 1.1 CineWhite? I can control the light perfectly in my room and I need the most brightness I can get for 3D movies: I'm afraid a gray screen would take too much light out. But it's rated 1.0, so wouldn't that make it at least as bright as the wall?

etatoby fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 2, 2015

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry

Terminus Est posted:

They really need to clarify that in their literature as I could not distinguish if they meant keystone or true lens shift.
I don't understand the % ratings on lens shift, but the W1070 has a very small one. Moreover, it's hidden under a sliding cover and must be actuated with a small screwdriver. The mechanism inside doesn't feel robust at all, which is probably why they made it screwdriver-operated. But it's there.

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
I've been very happy with my W1070. That is, until yesterday. Suddenly it makes a noticeable whine.

I can tell the noise comes from the color wheel. It's some kind of vibration whose frequency depends on the video signal. At 50Hz the noise is exactly 300Hz. At 60Hz, strangely it slows down to 120Hz. Lower frequencies (30, 25, 24) make much lower-pitched whines, but they don't make it disappear. Those are exact frequencies by the way, I compared them to a tone generator.

The projector has less than 300 "Equivalent lamp hours." The picture quality seems unaffected.

Is this model known to have bad quality bearings on the color wheel? Do you think it's a good idea to blow some compressed air into the vents (with the PJ turned off) to try and dislodge whatever it is that's making the noise? Should I take it back for warranty repair?

Also: if, as I suppose, I'm hearing the rotation of the color wheel, that would make a big case for running this PJ at 50Hz instead of 60.

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
My W1070 has been giving me nothing but superb pictures, thank you very much. Though I will send it back in for repair before the warranty is over, because the color wheel has become noticeably noisy. I think I mentioned it before. Has anybody else experienced it?

Anyways, my friend liked my setup so much he wants to buy a projector too. But the W1070 is too expensive for him. Are there any cheaper DLP projectors worth buying? He says he could do without the 3D and with only 720p resolution, since he'd only be watching movies on a smaller screen. Any recommendations?

Edit: I found the Benq MW526, seems to fit the specs and is very cheap! What do y'all say? I wonder why it's sold as Business/education and not Home. Are there any shortcomings using it to watch movies?

etatoby fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 27, 2015

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry

blugu64 posted:

Any LED/Laser projectors worth it yet?

I second this question.

I'm still using a BenQ W1070 that I bought in 2014 following the advice in this thread, and it still looks incredibly good to me. Sometimes I wish it had a higher resolution, as I do a lot of PC / web browsing on it, but overall it's a perfect fit for my needs. In fact, I keep it at Economic lamp power, because the other settings would be too bright and because I hope to prolong lamp life that way.

But I recognize this projector technology has its limits. The incandescent lamp heats up and needs fans, which are noisy. The color wheel is also noisy and it gets noisier over time (I've already had it replaced once because of that.) And the unit is overall bulky and heavy.

I know there exists solid state DLP projectors, where the 3 primary lights come from LED and/or laser diodes, getting rid of both the lamp, the color wheel, and most of the fans. I've also heard of laser projectors that don't need focus adjustments and can project at an angle.

I'm wondering how good these technologies are, both for movies and PC / web browsing use. A family member is asking me for recommendations on a projector, and if I could point to something with specs roughly comparable to my W1070 (including physical zoom and lens shift) but smaller and more lightweight, that would be great.

Does anybody have knowledge on the current state of solid-state projectors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry

Discernibly Turgid posted:

The Sony laser projectors are nothing short of stupendous.
I looked at Sony's consumer projector page, filtered by Laser light source, and ordered by price. The cheapest starts at $15k.
I'm sure it's stupendous, but it doesn't really fit in the same category as the W1070, does it?

Edit: I have decided the Benq TH685i is a worthy successor to the W1070, meaning specs ≥ those of the W1070 and a low price. Of course one could go 4k, or laser, or a number of other improvements. But for now, it seems this is the best that can be had for less than $1000.

Now I need to find a store that has it, because it seems to have disappeared from the shelves 😢

etatoby fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 10, 2021