Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This is a bit more broad than just projectors but I don't know where to post it. I'm doing some preliminary organisation of the renovation of my living room. I did a pretty accurate model of it in sketchup and added a bunch of notes to it to give a general idea of what I'm going for (except for the styling).

I do need help with the screen. Is it worth getting a custom one? I don't need it to roll up or anything, it can be permanently placed on the wall.

Another is a ceiling mount. You'll notice I just shoved a prefab projector model onto the support beam. I used a guide for the projector I want (listed in the picture) for the best placement ratio and it was right there. What would be the best way to mount this? How do I best deal with the cabling? Also I plan on having a HDMI outlet dedicated to a Vive VR HMD in the same spot, no idea how to do this but I guess the VR stuff is uncharted territory.

Anything else I need to keep in mind would be helpful too. It's going to be a major makeover and I want to get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Would something like this work?
http://www.smartwallpaint.com.au/store/projector-paint/projector-paint-plus.html

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

I've built two home theaters in two homes I've owned/own. The first one I did I spent $3,000 on the projector and $150 on DIY screen. On my second I spent $1,000 on the projector and $1,500 on the screen. The cheaper projector with the better screen looks way better than the more expensive projector and the DIY screen. The screen you can keep forever, while the projector you will likely upgrade. I think it's worth spending the money on one.

Is paint much worse though? I'd prefer to max out the screen size as much as possible and $1500 is a bit much to spend on a screen (and I doubt there's $1500 worth of parts and materials in it).

Should probably specify that the projector I'm planning on using is a BenQ W1080ST.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 25, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Okay, last time I didn't have the information to really ask a definitive question, but now that things are clearer (amplifier bought, projector and mount has been ordered) I figured I'd come for you guys help again.

I need a 120" screen for a dedicated theatre room (light blocking blinds/curtains for the windows) with a W1080ST projector. OK with something that is fixed there permanently, no need for moving parts or anything. Can be material, a pre-made screen or even paint if it's good enough.

I have a budget of US$250, what do I get?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I decided to go with that 120" Vapex. They cost a fortune when buying locally in Australia so I ordered the one from that link and am using a parcel reshipper (I used the one that's run by the Australian government, ShopMate :v:).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My BenQ W1080ST arrived! Even just plopping it down on a chair for a test projecting onto a wall was impressive. I played some THPS4 for the original XBOX in HD :cool:

Seems to work great, no rainbow effect I could notice. No input lag either. There was some rainbow effect when viewing that test grid pattern but that's a bit of a worst case scenario. I haven't viewed 1080p content on it yet, the XBOX is what I had handy.

The screen is coming tomorrow, but installing it all is gonna take a bit because of cable routing. Still, it's nice to see how good it is even when projected onto a beige wall.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 26, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It is a very big screen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You get kinda used to it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Can someone poke me with a stick once a low latency true 4K HDR capable VRR projector that doesn't require mortgaging my house exists?

I'm still using my W1080ST and while it's been pretty great it's showing it's age (also the lamp is starting to fail).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My Life In Gaming did a projector episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFJsEfWsTd4

That BenQ 4K projector looks quite good! I still want laser, but it's the first projector I've seen that's a realistic candidate for an upgrade from my current 1080p BenQ.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Still waiting on the mythical 4K+HDR+120hz+VRR laser projector that doesn't cost a billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Any new mid-range 4K low latency projectors planned for 2024? My BenQ W1080ST's HDMI port is on the fritz.