Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm looking to turn my garage into a cyberpunk lounge where shadowrunners can come after a job to blow off steam. Are there any appropriate ~100$ led projectors that would allow me to stream github code off a raspberry pi for the next 30000 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

military cervix posted:

Recently we acquired a pocket laser projector (Sony MP-CL1A) to use as a tool in our research: Shooting at photosynthetic bacteria with lasers. However, my supervisor wants me to figure out some details on how it works that I've been unable to figure out by trawling through the internet. Contacting Sony is as expected 100% useless. As these questions have implications for how the bacteria would react to the laser, I hope some of you have some input on his questions:

- Brightness.
a) Is brightness modulated by the intensity of the laser (the laser is on for the same time on each pixel, but is dimmer)
OR
b) is brightness modulated by the frequency of the laser (the laser is on the pixel for a shorter time on each pixel so it appears less bright)

- Laser path.
a) what is the direction of scan (x>) then (y^) or the other way around? (Everything I've seen seems to indicate that it scans like a book, top left to bottom right, but confirmation would be cool.
b) is the image interlaced? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video
c) is the laser on each pixel unmoved, or does the laser "swirl around" to fill the pixel before moving to the next pixel?

Caveat: I don't know the answers to your questions, but i did work for a projector development company 16 years ago, and work with optics and image sensors.

Brightness,: Probably A, B would give a pretty poor contrast ratio and frame brightness dependent draw times.

Path
a) No idea
b) No Idea
c) Very unlikely

Old school DLP projectors had some crazy poo poo like spatial and temporal dithering to get to the correct perceived bit depth, so expect anything.

I think one way to answer several of these questions would be to project onto the surface of an image sensor (that is like a camera without a lens). If you can integrate for very short period of time (microsecs) you could capture snapshots of how the laser is moving around.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I have an old BenQ SP831. The bulb works, but is pretty old by now so I'd like to get a replacement. There are a number on amazon that have a huge spread in cost, and I have no idea who is reputable or not. The BenQ website doesn't even have them in stock. Any advice?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

BrainDance posted:

I did have one problem I forgot to ask about here.

Luckily, the part that needs to get fixed to fix this is under a 5 year warranty for me. But, when I got my original projector, after some months it got a dead pixel. Like one just stuck on white. So I send it back, they replace it, easy no problem (other than it sucked not having it for a week.)

All was good, projector works for a good 9 months more, then suddenly one day, dead pixel. Same type of dead pixel (though I dont know how many types there are for a projector.)

I threw some random stuff at trying to fix it. Shut it down for a few hours, tried to clean the vents with compressed air, etc but it all made no difference. But warranty so yeah, I send it in, they fix it, (not replace it this time like the first time, which now sucks because the replacement thing was for one part of the warranty where I get one replacement, and that sucks that this didn't need to be replaced and could have been just fixed by replacing some little part) week later it's back good as new.

Why am I getting these dead pixels in the first place? Is this a common problem with projectors? I don't think it'd be running too hot, it was summer and I don't live in a very cool place but it's not crammed anywhere, it's just stuck to my ceiling. Does it being very dusty maybe have something to do with it? Since it's China, everything being dusty is just sorta a fact of life. I have an air purifier but I can only do so much. Dust just really does build up faster here.

Is there some kind of basic maintenance I should be doing with it to prevent stuff like this? Should I even be blasting the vents with compressed air like it was a computer? Or did I just have a string of bad luck? Though, a thing I've learned doing home theater stuff, all the warranties seem to be completely worth it and I'm really glad I got them for my stuff.
The pixels are probably hermetically sealed away. You just have a bad pixel chip. There isn't anything you can do but replace it or ignore it.