Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I don't know if this is outside the purview of this thread, but I've got an old VW camper, and I've been toying with the idea of setting up a projector in it pointing out the side door (I'd set a screen up outside of it). Is the 1070 the projector for me, or does it not do so well outside? Also, any particular does or don'ts for a screen in a situation like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ixian posted:

Several manufactures used to make "outdoor" PJ's like the Optoma MovieMate that had speakers and DVD players built in to them along with rugged cases but that niche appears to have faded so just buy a decent all around budget PJ, of which the 1070 is one of the better ones. It has a pair of 10w speakers built in but I don't have one so I can't say if that's "good enough" or not - probably ok for what you are talking about.

It should go without saying but as bright as it is the 1070 - or any budget PJ - isn't going to do that well in daylight. They are really meant for twilight or night time viewing, outdoors. Other obvious advice - keep it out of the weather :)

Great, thanks! And yeah, I'd figured on nightime watching. I've got it set up with some nice flooring in the bus, so my goal is to throw a sumo bag inside against the wall and have a screen set up off the framing for one of the bus-specific awnings and do drive-out movie nights more so than to use it when I'm actually taking trips. I'm figuring I'd have the projector set up inside the bus, so no worries on the weather front unless my roof starts leaking (:ohdear:).

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So, I've been seeing the BenQ MH630 for pretty cheap, and as far as I can tell, the main difference between the MH630 and W1070 is going from DLP to "1080p DarkChip3 DLP", which looks like it has better contrast. Is it a noticably large difference in display quality?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

The MH630 is a business projector with a 2x speed color wheel that I'm willing to bet has non-RGB segments (which is how they get 3000 lumens out of it) and lovely contrast. It is a terrible choice for home theater.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger then! Good to know, specs-wise they looked identical when comparing them on a few sites.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Not to claim expertise like the OP, but my buddy with a similar looking room got a W1080ST because he needed the short-throw, but I believe other than being short throw they're exactly the same, and it's fantastic. He cheaped out on the screen and picked up a pull-down screen at the place he got a deal on the projector, and it is:
A) Totally usable, and B) Definitely needs to be replaced in the next few years.

:siren:I can't tell if your room is as narrow as his was, but keep in mind that the W1070 needs to be 14 feet away (Imperial system :clint:) for a 120 inch screen, and further away for a smaller one.:siren: The zoom is only for zooming in which was super surprising to me.

The other thing is that while it is totally viewable with some ambient light coming through the windows during the day (The screen is literally directly opposite a west-facing window, it's got standard "plastic slat" blinds that he leaves closed), but it is a huge difference (night and day :v:) in quality when it gets dark out, and that's when it reaches "Theater" quality. He's been slacking on getting blackout curtains, and for some godawful reason won't tack up a towel or something in the mean time. Definitely get blackout curtains if you can.