Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

blugu64 posted:

Can I get a recommendation on a home theater projector?

4K preferable (pixel shift) but 1080p would be fine.

Light is moderately controlled, there’s still a bit of ambient light.

Projecting on a 120”-ish image 13-15’ away.

13 - 15' is gonna be pushing it for 120", per https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050-projection-calculator-pro.htm#calc, for my projector the sweet spot for 120" (which is what I have) is 11' (which is where I mounted), but does max out at 14', so it would work, with a slight hit to brightness.

I am generally in the market for a true 4K projector, but I don't think there's anything out there good enough yet in my price range (say, sub $2k).

I have been using a BenQ HT2050 since Jan 2017, I got it for $758 at the time. I note that the current model, the HT2050A, is in the same general price range and also shows up on some lists of best projectors (https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/best-home-theater-projector/). When I got it, I read a lot of AVSForum and at that time the consensus was, "if you're spending less than 2K get a HT2050, full stop". There may be other options now. I keep meaning to get a new lamp, but, honestly, I haven't even bothered to put blackout shades in our window filled living room. 90% of the time I watch it is after dark, but I have done stuff like watch movies with kiddo at noon, it's quite visible, and if I did a decent job with actual shades on my windows it would be as clear as a TV.

I'd look at AVSForums to see if there's a consensus on other models; also, if you can afford to spend $1500 then there's probably better stuff out there, but for $750 (plus a couple hundred bucks for a pull down screen), this thing has been amazing and I only worry what it's doing to my kids to grow up with this as "normal". On the other hand they're growing up in climate hell so we may as well enjoy our giant screens.

I sent this image to my dad and he sent it back to me as a framed 17x22 print with text at the bottom, "They're here..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've been using a BenQ 1080p projector since 2017. It's fine and probably doesn't even need a new bulb yet, but I'm acquiring increasing stacks of 4k content.

Is there a decent 4k projector for < $2500 yet? Benq HT4550i comes close and I may end up just doing that at some point in 2024.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Ok I purchased an Epson 5050UB (TW8400) as for my price range it's apparently the best

was this based on digging around on AVSForums or similar? Asking because I hope to be in the same boat in a couple months, upgrading from a BenQ HT2050 I got in 2016. At that time the advice from AVSForum etc was to buy that specific thing if you weren't trying to spend > $5000 USD, which I was not (2050 was $800ish in 2016). I'd like to go to 4k on something a bit brighter and it seems like it's finally affordable to do that.

I'd rather spend closer to 2k than 3k but the last one has run 7 years (w/1 bulb replacement); if I can get the same or better here that seems fine given how much media (mostly other) people in this house seem to consume.

e: digging into this; that's a 4Ke projector, so smack dab between 1080 and true 4k. The LS12000 gets there at $5000 US; I'll have to ponder this. I looked into it a couple years ago and at that point true 4k looked like a ~10k proposition, so prices have come down more than half in that time frame, considering inflation. Maybe if I wait another year or two they will do that again :sigh: As long as the current thing works, it is very much a want and not a need.

I wish I could look at the same image projected on the same screen, at 4Ke vs 4k. I think it's entirely possible that even with my glasses on I can't tell the difference on a 12' screen from 17' away.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 27, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

yeah that all looks reasonable, also, looking into this more deeply I am quite convinced true 4k would be substantial overkill in the space I'm in. At 90' - 100' lots of people actually prefer TVs, but, like you, I prefer to not have a giant monolith of a screen that blocks windows, and even if it wasn't blocking windows, I've never liked the silent dominance that an unpowered TV screen embodies a whole room with, since it tends to be central. It's fine if you have a dedicated TV space, but for living rooms tends to lead to layouts where every seat faces the screen and it's weird and awkward to hang out in the space with the screen off.

We have chairs every which way and when the screen is up, you barely notice the projector; in fact someone who was recently at our house for the first time told me that they had scratched their head a bit at the obvious 7.1 setup with a complete lack of display, until they looked up and saw the projector.

When I get a new projector I am also going to re-mount the arm that holds it, on a hinge, such that it can be folded flat against the wall when not in use.

I saw comments in your thread or another about the 5050UB and some people saying "possibly not bright enough for daylight use without curtains", because it's ~25% brighter than the projector we have now, which gets frequent use in bright daylight. Granted, putting some shades in that room has been a long term goal for a while (needs a robotic thing that's like 50' wide which then needs to be mounted 12-14' up a wall, so, quite a project), and I might have prioritized that higher if I myself used the screen much in daylight, but the kids seem to absolutely not give a gently caress and are able to see it just fine.

e: also in 2024 reddit seems likely to be as good/better as AVSForum; AVSForum has ditched their SA-esque oldschool forum look for some vaguely web 2.0-looking garbage, but, also, that projector is quite well reviewed there.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 29, 2024