Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I'm looking to burn some year end bonus cash and set up a theater room in my unfinished basement. The space that I am planning to use is 15' wide by at most 20' deep with around 7.5' for height (floor joists are a tad over 8', but want to play safe with acoustic ceiling tiles and flooring). Realistically, I am looking at approximately 11-13' for sitting distance and am trying to decide on a 110" or 120" screen. I am mostly favoring the BenQ HT1075 or HT1085ST. My concern is that from the calculators, the throw distance on the 1075 will be too close for the brightness as I will need to mount the projector from the ceiling around 9.5-10' from the screen otherwise it will be dropped around 18" due to ducting if I need to go further back. Even during the day, the basement is dark. I will be installing dimmable lights and blacking out the windows to control light.

I'm discounting the w1070 and w1080st due to lack of vertical lens shift at this point (gently caress keystone). I'm also interested in the epsons, but would like to keep the 3D capability with lens shift and also be able to afford to finish my basement. Projectors are surprisingly hard.

Edit: Forgot the whole question aspect. Am I an idiot or am I on the right path? What recommendations do you folks have for someone who will be buying a silver screen and projector from Amazon. Mounts included. The deeper I dive in projectors, the dumber I feel.

Terminus Est fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

sethsez posted:

The w1070 has vertical lens shift.

They really need to clarify that in their literature as I could not distinguish if they meant keystone or true lens shift.