Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Equate posted:

So I am in the market for our first projector. I will use it for gaming and for family movie night. The two that I have been looking at are the Optoma HD141X and the one you recommended the BenQ W1070. I will be using a Monoprice Wireless HDMI Extender with the projector, I do not want to run cables through my walls since I will be doing the install myself. I have enough space and a nice big ol wall to put fabric on or buy a motorized screen. My problem now is the projector choice. My wife says no for the projector since we do have a 70" TV, but once she enjoys the home-theater experience she will change her mind quickly. How is the Optoma compared to the BenQ?

From everything I've read the HD141x is essentially a scaled-back version of the HD131x, which means it has a slower color wheel without a true RGBRGB layout. You'll see more rainbows and white will be brighter than other colors, while the W1070 will appear more balanced and the faster color wheel will do a better job of hiding rainbows.

The HD141x isn't a bad projector for the cost, but if the W1070 fits your room there's really no reason to go with the HD141x over it. It's still the best in its class by a fair margin.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

revmoo posted:

20,000:1 is bad?
First, never trust official contrast ratio claims. They're always bullshit.

Conference projectors generally have very bright whites at the expense of dimmer colors. This is great for your average presentation (which tend to emphasize text legibility above all else), but terrible for watching movies. The Benq W1070 might be dimmer on paper, but the brightness it does have is maintained equally across all colors so you get a vivid, properly-saturated image. That Optoma is engineered to make Powerpoints look great in a lit room, not to make movies look great in a dark room.

Also, if you hate DLP because of rainbows you'll probably hate that projector since it's almost certainly got a two-speed color wheel, rather than the six-speed wheel of the W1070.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

revmoo posted:

Yeah so I'm a big dummy. Anyway I have this unit and I'm actually pretty impressed except for one critical issue; the keystone adjustment leaves behind shaded areas that outline the display area.

Is this a common problem? I don't recall seeing this issue on any other projector in the past, but it's completely awful. For all I know it's a config setting somehow, but pushing brightness to zero doesn't make it go away.

I'll happily order the W1070 on Monday if it means I don't have this lovely keystone effect.

Never use keystone, always get your projector properly aligned with the wall. The W1070 has some lens shift to make this easier.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

revmoo posted:

Yeah definitely doing one of those things. You guys are rude as poo poo

You're ignoring every single piece of advice you're given and have made it clear that you didn't bother to read anything here before posting. What did you think would happen?

Projectors are not made to be run in direct sunlight. There are specialized ones that can, but they're around ten times your budget. Likewise, as I said in my first reply, you bought a projector that sacrifices color brightness for white brightness, so of course video content looks dim... that's just standard for the projector you got. If you absolutely MUST run a projector in daylight then your requirements don't change, you still want something with bright colors, not just bright whites, and for that you need a home entertainment projector, not a business projector.

The Benq W1070 is, once again, built exactly to do what you're looking for (it IS bright enough to handle things like sports with some sunlight, since it emphasizes color brightness over white brightness), and I really don't know why you're dead set on sticking with your blind buy rather than going with the best-reviewed and most-recommended home entertainment projector out there, especially when there isn't even a price difference.

You asked for car advice, ignored everyone and bought a riding lawnmower, and are now reporting all the reasons the lawnmower sucks as a car while trying to stick with it anyway. Yes, that tends to irritate people in an advice thread.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 20, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Terminus Est posted:

I'm discounting the w1070 ... due to lack of vertical lens shift at this point

The w1070 has vertical lens shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Thing is, I don't have a ton of space to place the projector and I want the unit to be very low noise over all as the projector will probably sit pretty close to my head (elevated on a window sill but still, behind my bed). Picos are appealing because of the small form factor, if i really got serious I guess I could put a projector on a ceiling mount above the bed (I have high ceilings) but my thinking is that for my needs something small would work best. I'm willing to buy something cheaper than $600, the best selling picos on Amazon are around $300-400, I just want to know it will be a good investment before I spend

To be honest, I've had a pico projector in the past (Qumi 5) along with a ful-size projector (w1070) right next to my bed, and while the w1070 was a bit louder in terms of pure decibels, the Qumi was a hell of a lot higher pitched due to the much smaller fan, which I found infinitely more distracting and annoying.