Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
Pay off the furniture, I can guarantee that it is an introductory 0% that adds all the interest back in after 18 months or so. Someone that has this much lovely debt is gonna gently caress up and end up paying 5k for a 1500 couch. After the last day of the introductory period the amount owed will probably double. Don't risk it.

Also I would disagree with making a large E fund (At most I would recommend 3k). This person doesn't seem to have budgeting as a priority and will just see that money as something she can burn (even if it is set up as a E fund), and she will increase her spending until its gone or more.

Just pay down all the debt she can starting with the furniture, then highest interest first. She could consider putting some of it into a roth IRA as well. Save 1.5k and let her blow it (important so you can convince her to do this.) Encourage her to start budgeting so she can get out of debt and live within her means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread