Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Paying off her highest-interest debt for sure, she's looking at an instant guaranteed 11-25% return, no investment can match that. If she has no savings (which I'm guessing she does not, given the credit card debt), I would probably split the remaining 11 grand between paying off some of the 6.8% student loans and establishing an emergency fund.

But more important than any of that is learning to budget and not live beyond your means, and that includes not giving money you don't really have to family. Without that, the windfall will do nothing in the long run to improve her financial situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The first ~5 million of an inheritance is not taxed:

quote:

If an asset is left to a spouse or a Federally recognized charity, the tax usually does not apply. In addition, up to a certain amount varying year by year, amounting to $5,250,000 for estates of persons dying in 2013[2] and $5,340,000 for estates of persons dying in 2014[3] can be given by an individual, before and/or upon their death, without incurring federal gift or estate taxes.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_tax_in_the_United_States

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Deception posted:

For some reason I thought throwing 10k or more into a bank, would incur a tax. Thank you for stating the obvious in the wiki I should have looked up ha, that's a sigh of relief.
There's some law about banks having to report 10k+ cash deposits (not because it's inherently illegal or anything, the authorities look at those in case of money laundering), I think that may be what you're thinking of.

• Locked thread