Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So apparently through WatchXD you can watch the first episode already :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXl7GtvG8t4

Gonna watch it now.

edit: Droids in Distress was awesome!

alg fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Really liking how the show has experimented with Williams's themes so; it was nice to hear hints of the Battle of Hoth leitmotif when the walkers showed up, as well as the "Approaching Jabba's Palace" music essentially becoming R2 and 3PO's de facto theme for the ep.

Also they are really going all out with the cool references :allears:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 4, 2014

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
As long as he doesn't suffer from grievous syndrome, I'll be happy with him. Watching him be beaten by a bunch of gungans was pitiful.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DancinBrud posted:

Gilroy was solid on Clone Wars, but that's a bummer about Weisman nonetheless. Wonder why he left.
I mean if there is one show for Weisman to have every episode end with "Everything is going to plan" its a Star Wars show set before A New Hope. :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Hah, it's cool to see that they're using the old AT-PT walkers. I'm also surprised they kept the original idea of Disruptors being super dangerous blasters. Loving these old EU references. :allears:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 4, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cross-Section posted:

It's looking like they'll be subverting this by simply not having him show up much; for example, the episode that the duel clip comes from is the fifth one of the season, and going by the reactions there, it appears to be the first time the crew has run into him.

Yea, it'll probably be Agent Kallus who fails constantly in his place instead. On the other hand there is a shot, from a toy box admittedly of Ezra facing off against the Inquisitor using his disguised lightsaber, which could mean Kanan moves on to bigger fish leaving Ezra to deal with him. Or could just be the box needing some cool artwork and doing whatever it wants.

Also, it's weird to think that while Luke was running around as the first of the "last" of the Jedi and first of the new Jedi, Ahsoka, Ezra and Kanan were probably running around with possibly more Jedi hidden around the galaxy too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 4, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Might give this a look.

On a related note is The Clone Wars worth watching? I never got around to it because I wasn't really big on the prequels, but the "gritty war atmosphere" referenced in the OP sounds kind of cool. I'm not generally into light-hearted cartoons anymore so it might be my kinda thing.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

-Blackadder- posted:

Might give this a look.

On a related note is The Clone Wars worth watching? I never got around to it because I wasn't really big on the prequels, but the "gritty war atmosphere" referenced in the OP sounds kind of cool. I'm not generally into light-hearted cartoons anymore so it might be my kinda thing.

It can be really hit or miss in my opinion. I remember it being pretty shaky in the earlier seasons and then later on even though there was far more good than bad it could get pretty schizophrenic, one week it could be Arc Troopers making a bloody last stand on planet Space Vietnam and then the next it could be a cringeworthy half hour of Jar-Jar and C3P0's "comic" relief

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 5, 2014

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, the tone I mentioned is a bit inconsistent (as the series tries to balance between Star Wars show and Kids show) at least in the first season, but substantially improves even before the second one begins. I would personally recommend you check out one of the self-contained 2 and 3-episode arcs (like the Ryloth Invasion in S1 or the Grievous Intrigue dualogy in S2) or one of the standalones like Season 1's "Rookies" (which is generally considered to be one of the best episodes of the entire series) to get a feel for things and see if you actually want to power through the whole series.

tsob posted:

Yea, it'll probably be Agent Kallus who fails constantly in his place instead.
I hope (Droids In Distress Spoilers)Kallus pretty much trouncing Zeb in direct combat but getting incapacitated by Ezra's force powers isn't an indicator of a trend of that nature, but it probably is. :rolleyes:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 5, 2014

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This show made me immediately reinstall Star Wars the old republic and put me back on a Star Wars kick.

I didn't think I could love the setting like i used too, but this won me over.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

-Blackadder- posted:

Might give this a look.

The thing about Clone Wars is that it's an anthology of short stories. They differ in tone. If you don't like lighthearted, generally everything about troopers should be your thing.

I dunno. Start from 'Rookies' and 'Landing at Point Rain' (my favourite one from the early seasons) and take it from there? You'll invest only one/ two episodes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I caught this last night, and was kinda shocked on how much death there was in it. And this is just the pilot episode.

It was pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good. I'll keep it on the DVR schedule.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I could never really get into the CG Clone Wars show (made it to about halfway through Season 2), but the premiere movie and the first episode of this show got me on-board hook, line, and sinker. This poo poo is good and has gotten me hyped about Star Wars again :unsmith:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This show certainly has potential, but I wasn't blown away by the first two episodes. So far, they haven't been on par with the best The Clone Wars had to offer. The story and character interactions seemed pretty rushed, and it didn't feel like all that much even happened. Yeah, I know this is presumably supposed to be a smaller scale, less epic show than TCW, but what I mean is that there was a seeming dearth of imaginative set-pieces and new concepts, which is something TCW excelled at providing. The homages to the OT are cool and all, but it's going to take more than that to impress me. Here's hoping that they remember to expand the universe in future episodes, rather than continually falling back on old tropes and OT fanbait.

On the bright side, the reduced animation budget wasn't as much of a liability as some people were fearing. Everything still looks pretty good. And it's always good to hear Anthony Daniels as Threepio.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Benedick Cuckold posted:

This show certainly has potential, but I wasn't blown away by the first two episodes. So far, they haven't been on par with the best The Clone Wars had to offer. The story and character interactions seemed pretty rushed, and it didn't feel like all that much even happened. Yeah, I know this is presumably supposed to be a smaller scale, less epic show than TCW, but what I mean is that there was a seeming dearth of imaginative set-pieces and new concepts, which is something TCW excelled at providing. The homages to the OT are cool and all, but it's going to take more than that to impress me. Here's hoping that they remember to expand the universe in future episodes, rather than continually falling back on old tropes and OT fanbait.

On the bright side, the reduced animation budget wasn't as much of a liability as some people were fearing. Everything still looks pretty good. And it's always good to hear Anthony Daniels as Threepio.

Wait, have two episodes aired? I thought just Spark of Rebellion had aired. Has Droids in Distress aired already and I missed it?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It was on the stupid Disney video on demand thing that doesn't support half the cable providers in America.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

meristem posted:

The thing about Clone Wars is that it's an anthology of short stories. They differ in tone. If you don't like lighthearted, generally everything about troopers should be your thing.

I binged the entire show over the course of a few weeks, and the trooper episodes were the high point of it for me, especially in the later seasons. poo poo got dark.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, have two episodes aired? I thought just Spark of Rebellion had aired. Has Droids in Distress aired already and I missed it?

You can watch the next episode online a week early on http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/star-wars-rebels by logging in with your cable TV provider info. Not sure if they're doing this for every episode, but Droids in Distress has been available to watch for a few days now.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oddly enough, it's also available for free on the iTunes Store. I wouldn't count on any future episodes following suit, however.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm not really planning on looking this up so maybe someone in here can inform me when C-3P0 got his mismatched leg? because I can't remember if that happened some time during the prequels or Clone Wars

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Aces High posted:

I'm not really planning on looking this up so maybe someone in here can inform me when C-3P0 got his mismatched leg? because I can't remember if that happened some time during the prequels or Clone Wars

Having watched Star Wars Original trilogy hundreds of times since release it was only seeing it in HD that I noticed his silver leg.

I loved episode 2 and sure you can argue that the insertion of the droids and Bail were a bit tenuousbut it excited the 6 yr old in me. Also there was a great shot of the docking bay with Stormtroopers in the foreground that really made me think of some of the early art work for episode 4. My 8 yr old son is also enjoying the hell out of these cartoons. For me they are the best thing since the original trilogy even after only 2 episodes.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Looks like ratings for the premiere were pretty good, and now Disney is going to promite the series further by re-airing the first episode on ABC in prime time on Sunday, October 26. Even better? There's a new scene that includes Darth Vader.

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/star-wars-rebels-air-abc-sunday-october-26th-darth-vader/

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Sith Happens posted:

Looks like ratings for the premiere were pretty good, and now Disney is going to promite the series further by re-airing the first episode on ABC in prime time on Sunday, October 26. Even better? There's a new scene that includes Darth Vader.

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/star-wars-rebels-air-abc-sunday-october-26th-darth-vader/

If it ain't voiced by JEJ then it ain't Vader.......

HOLY poo poo.....

quote:

Will James Earl Jones voice? “By order of the Empire, I decline to comment,” a Disney spokeswoman says. #starwarsrebels @starwars

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

If it ain't voiced by JEJ then it ain't Vader.......

HOLY poo poo.....

Ughuhgh :gizz:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
They might get Matt Sloan, since he's been something of a go to imitator for a while now.

That said, this both pleases and annoys me. On the plus side, its a chance to establish what Vader is up to, but also pre-emptively silence any quibbles from fans of not being able to see him in the first season if he's otherwise absent. On the other hand, it is a rather blatant marketing ploy for a re-run at a point where the show will be a fair few episodes in, and anyone who misses it (which may include anyone outside the United States) is going to be kinda shafted if the clip doesn't get thrown up somewhere.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

You can watch the next episode online a week early on http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/star-wars-rebels by logging in with your cable TV provider info. Not sure if they're doing this for every episode, but Droids in Distress has been available to watch for a few days now.

As was pointed out above, most major cable providers are not on their list. Sure they have Cox, but no Comcast or TWC is a bit weird.

Cross-Section posted:

Oddly enough, it's also available for free on the iTunes Store. I wouldn't count on any future episodes following suit, however.

This, however, I can work with. Thanks!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So I guess that freebie is over, they want $30 for the season.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

MrBigglesworth posted:

The page itself still lists Droids in Distress as being free. Its just that, well, you get to pre-order the whole season.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

e: f, b

MrBigglesworth posted:

For the season, yes, but the episode itself is still free.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I must be blind, Im seeing $ in front of everything. Nope, wait, found it.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Astro Nut posted:

That said, this both pleases and annoys me. On the plus side, its a chance to establish what Vader is up to, but also pre-emptively silence any quibbles from fans of not being able to see him in the first season if he's otherwise absent. On the other hand, it is a rather blatant marketing ploy for a re-run at a point where the show will be a fair few episodes in, and anyone who misses it (which may include anyone outside the United States) is going to be kinda shafted if the clip doesn't get thrown up somewhere.

I've wondered about how long it will take Rebels before we get some glimpses into the bigger picture of events in the galaxy, as well as some of the major players like Vader, Tarkin, and the Emperor. I know they need plenty of time to establish the new characters and their stories first, but then it would be nice to see Coruscant... er, Imperial Center... what's going on in the dying days of the Imperial Senate, etc.. I'd also like to see some of the background Imperials from ANH show up at some point, like Admiral Motti and General Tagge. Because of when Rebels takes place, there's so much untapped potential from so many characters and locations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MrBigglesworth posted:

I must be blind, Im seeing $ in front of everything. Nope, wait, found it.

I can't load iTunes at the moment, but here's the page with it highlighted.

When I did load it in iTunes, it was the same.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Sith Happens posted:

I've wondered about how long it will take Rebels before we get some glimpses into the bigger picture of events in the galaxy, as well as some of the major players like Vader, Tarkin, and the Emperor. I know they need plenty of time to establish the new characters and their stories first, but then it would be nice to see Coruscant... er, Imperial Center... what's going on in the dying days of the Imperial Senate, etc.. I'd also like to see some of the background Imperials from ANH show up at some point, like Admiral Motti and General Tagge. Because of when Rebels takes place, there's so much untapped potential from so many characters and locations.

Id really like to see some political back story as well. It was always hinted at in the OT, Id like to see what the "last remnants" that were swept away were really up to or trying to accomplish. And Id love to see Palpatine doing some evil as well. I want more of him and seeing what his machinations are up to during this period.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Sith Happens posted:

MrBigglesworth posted:

Id really like to see some political back story as well. It was always hinted at in the OT, Id like to see what the "last remnants" that were swept away were really up to or trying to accomplish. And Id love to see Palpatine doing some evil as well. I want more of him and seeing what his machinations are up to during this period.

I imagine season 2 or so will see things start 'opening up', as it were. There's definitely some elements of the politics at play - the disruptors from droids in distress are illegal thanks to a ruling by the Senate. So illegal that even a planetary minister has to deal with black market dealers to get any. No wonder that Palpy would have it dissolved just before someone goes and tries out his planet destroying superweapon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The show's animation style didn't make a good first impression on me but I admit by the end I was already pretty invested in the characters. Will definitely give it a fair shot, I'm interested to see where its going.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

thrawn527 posted:

As was pointed out above, most major cable providers are not on their list. Sure they have Cox, but no Comcast or TWC is a bit weird.

This, however, I can work with. Thanks!

Comcast is xfinity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Deakul posted:

Comcast is xfinity.

Oh, so it's just TWC as a major cable company that's out? That makes a bit more sense, but is still weird.

I'm on Bright House, but they're pretty regional, so I wasn't expecting much, to be fair.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MrBigglesworth posted:

I don't know. This show seems to be doing its damndest to avoid even the slightest hint of anything people disliked about the prequels. And people have been whining for years that politics are boring and don't belong in Star Wars.

So maybe we'll see some of that stuff later on, but my feeling is we may have to wait until the show has sufficiently reassured all the lapsed Star Wars fans that it's okay to like the show.

Then, when everyone's least expecting it, we'll be hit with Senator Binks of Naboo, loyal Imperial and personal friend of the Emperor.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
If politics are boring and don't belong, then why are they interested at all? Without politics, you would have no system of goverment in the Empire to over throw.

Aristocracies, guilds, republics, empires, Star Wars IS politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
Gave the pilot a shot after pretty much walking out of the cinema after Episode III and being done with SW as a whole. But new Rebellion era stuff.... ahhh, you're dragging me back in.

eriktown posted:

The West End comparison is perfect. Reminds me of a really good game with friends.

Absolutely. I was watching the first 10 minutes and thinking "Hey, this reminds me of stuff we used to do" (Brash Pilots represent). That was 'my' Star Wars when I was young and they seem to have captured the spirit that was lacking in the prequels.

The logo on the door of the slave ship the Wookies were supposed to be behind made me smile. Looking forward to more extremely obscure OT references as I think I'm on board for this.

• Locked thread