Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The cadet helmet borrows a lot from that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Astro Nut posted:

It's mentioned in Rebels Recon, but basically its done as if she's found some ancient Jedi armour in a lost temple somewhere (tying into another point of the series where they imagine that in the backstory, the Jedi had a lot more temples - and esoteric methods of training - before gradually transitioning to 'standard' tests like at Ilum). And given one of the minor story points of the Clone Wars was on how the Jedi were losing/had lost their way, it'd be interesting to see what Ahsoka might have dug up.

I wonder if all the Je'daii stuff is going to become part of the Disney canon in that case? I read a wee bit about it before on Wookiepedia and I liked the idea of some far flung past stuff with more technologically primitive Jedi with physical swords running around, but I've no idea of the quality of the actual stories that used them.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

tsob posted:

I wonder if all the Je'daii stuff is going to become part of the Disney canon in that case? I read a wee bit about it before on Wookiepedia and I liked the idea of some far flung past stuff with more technologically primitive Jedi with physical swords running around, but I've no idea of the quality of the actual stories that used them.

The quality was pretty wide ranging, not helped that this is Star Wars and thus some writers wanted to get to the 'classic' imagery as quickly as possible.

I imagine some of the concepts might be recycled, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new guys behind the lore decided to keep things a bit more nebulous and vague, at least for now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So I am finally watching the Clone Wars show, and people weren't overstating how dark this is. There is that rookie training episode a bunch of clones that we know are going to die because a previous episode (but later on in the chronologically) shows those guys getting massacred, besides two survivors. Then those two guys are around a while, hanging out in episodes, and then one of them dies. So you think "oh they were setting this up so this one guy is the only survivor out of all of his friends."

Nope he dies too.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mr.capps posted:

So I am finally watching the Clone Wars show, and people weren't overstating how dark this is. There is that rookie training episode a bunch of clones that we know are going to die because a previous episode (but later on in the chronologically) shows those guys getting massacred, besides two survivors. Then those two guys are around a while, hanging out in episodes, and then one of them dies. So you think "oh they were setting this up so this one guy is the only survivor out of all of his friends."

Nope he dies too.

As has been said a lot. The clone stuff is the best part of the show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kingcom posted:

As has been said a lot. The clone stuff is the best part of the show.

Followed closely by the bounty hunter/pirate arcs.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

mr.capps posted:

Nope he dies too.

Oddly enough, Echo is confirmed alive by Dave Filoni in post-Season Six sketches.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

For more Clone goodness, Bad Batch, the unfinished story arc based on some 'defective' clone troopers has been released.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

McTimmy posted:

Oddly enough, Echo is confirmed alive by Dave Filoni in post-Season Six sketches.

There are some fates worse than death.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The S2 premiere's been confirmed for Saturday, June 20th; no word on if WatchDisneyXD's getting the advance release on this one.

Reminds me, I should probably update the OP at some point...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cross-Section posted:

The S2 premiere's been confirmed for Saturday, June 20th; no word on if WatchDisneyXD's getting the advance release on this one.

Reminds me, I should probably update the OP at some point...

Holy cow, we get season 2 *this year*? Nice!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Holy cow, we get season 2 *this year*? Nice!

Disney's learned their mistake from not being better prepared after the sheer delay on Gravity Falls. Rebels was renewed for its second season before the first even aired, so they've had plenty of time to get it together.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Although we might be getting some Gravity Falls like gaps. S2 premiers with an hour long episode in June but apparently a few more months for the rest of the season to begin.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, there's a tentative "Fall" date for the rest of the season. Given that there's 22 or so episodes this season (as opposed to S1's 13), I wouldn't be surprised if we were still seeing new S2 episodes in the summer of 2016 if Disney XD continues to schedule as haphazardly as they did last time.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Also, started working through the Bad Batch episodes. Good lord would the season have gotten dark, even by the Clone Wars' standards.

Echo being a barely alive cyborg living through his death over and over :stonk:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just finished a 2 day binge of season 1, and boy howdy, what a good show this is. I'm totally ready for season 2, but I don't wanna waaaait.

Chopper's a little poo poo, though.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
I finally got caught up with the rest of the season and all I have to say about the Fulcrum reveal is :swoon:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Lady Gagazula posted:

I finally got caught up with the rest of the season and all I have to say about the Fulcrum reveal is :swoon:

If that made you happy, go watch the trailer for season two. More old friends popping up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8GjpGK98A

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Dave Syndrome posted:

If that made you happy, go watch the trailer for season two. More old friends popping up.

I'm going to train a Koala Bear to say noice in response to that trailer.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I theorize that the new female Inquisitor could be Zare Leonis' sister, Dhara.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Bariss offee surely?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ShineDog posted:

Bariss offee surely?

I doubt it'll be her just because having it be her demands that she face off against Ahsoka, and I imagine they'll want to keep Ahsoka in the background outside of a few select scenes. She already has a former friend turned enemy in Vader who'll surely dominate any such scenes, what'd be the point of doubling down on that with Bariss when she's not one of the main characters? The new inquisitors are people for Ezra and Kanan to measure themselves against and overcome, not Ahsoka after all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm just waiting for the inevitable James Luceno novel all about the first Inquisitor's backstory.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

tsob posted:

I doubt it'll be her just because having it be her demands that she face off against Ahsoka, and I imagine they'll want to keep Ahsoka in the background outside of a few select scenes. She already has a former friend turned enemy in Vader who'll surely dominate any such scenes, what'd be the point of doubling down on that with Bariss when she's not one of the main characters? The new inquisitors are people for Ezra and Kanan to measure themselves against and overcome, not Ahsoka after all.

In the scene with the two inquisitors backs facing the screen and some ship comes in to shoot at them, it looks like her neck or chin are green. They probably wouldn't put a mask on her if it wasn't going to be a reveal, and they're already doubling down on the clone wars connections this season, its probably Bariss.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So, turns out theres a jedi master with the same last name as Ezra. Over and under on them pulling him in as a dead relative?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waldan_Bridger

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hey guys, know how we got rid of all that eu garbage? I've got an idea-- let's bring it all back. Only bigger and more extreme. Edgier.darker. that's what kids want these days!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Hey guys, know how we got rid of all that eu garbage? I've got an idea-- let's bring it all back. Only bigger and more extreme. Edgier.darker. that's what kids want these days!

This time, even more obscure.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Maybe Ezra can have relatives on Tattoonie, so and we find out he's Anakin's cousin. And Kanan's real last name is Solo, he's Han's estranged brother! And Hera used to work for Jabba the Hut and used to date the other weird brainy guy at Jabba's palace.

Free cocaine for everyone!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Maybe Ezra can have relatives on Tattoonie, so and we find out he's Anakin's cousin. And Kanan's real last name is Solo, he's Han's estranged brother! And Hera used to work for Jabba the Hut and used to date the other weird brainy guy at Jabba's palace.

Free cocaine for everyone!

Which one is a secret Yuuzhan Vong infiltrator.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I don't even know what that is, but why not make it the droid? We don't have much of a backstory on him but we do know he'll murder other sentients to keep his position on the ship. That sounds like something a spy would totally do.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Shbobdb posted:

I don't even know what that is, but why not make it the droid? We don't have much of a backstory on him but we do know he'll murder other sentients to keep his position on the ship. That sounds like something a spy would totally do.

They were a race of vehemently anti-inorganic tech invaders. So, no, the droid would be right out.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

tribbledirigible posted:

They were a race of vehemently anti-inorganic tech invaders. So, no, the droid would be right out.

But what if the droid's just a hollowed out shell and there's a really small guy inside piloting the remains?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

tribbledirigible posted:

On the other hand, when looking for a anti-droid spy, who would think to check the droid? Imagine the shock when we find out it's not really a droid at all, but just some dwarf Vong dude living inside it. The discomfort of the situation wouldn't even matter to him, because the Vong view pain as a religious thing. It all fits :tinfoil:

Edit: drat it, beaten to the punch. I guess I couldn't get to hyperspeed fast enough to beat out Impulsedrive :(

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Maybe he's just a race-traitor? He's an rear end in a top hat in a lot of other ways. Or we just re-write the whatever to be more accepting of tech.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 20, 2015

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Shbobdb posted:

Maybe he's just a race-traitor? He's an rear end in a top hat in a lot of other ways. Or we just re-write the whatever to be more accepting of tech.

Supreme Overlord Shimrra Jamaane: "Okay, we are now allowing can openers, hand crank egg beaters, and astromech droids no taller than 2.5 feet and not newer than 10 galactic standard years. Blenders, rotary dial villips, and protocol droids are still considered blasphemy. Any questions should be directed to the nearest member of the priest caste."

Done.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, evidently, the EU crazy is coming from in the thread. In terms of the show, the season recap seems to put to rest the whole Kanan/Hera thing since Kanan presents them as a couple.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's a season recap thing? Does it reveal any other new info? Also, suck it people who called me goony for thinking their behavior indicated they might be a couple I guess.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

tsob posted:

There's a season recap thing? Does it reveal any other new info? Also, suck it people who called me goony for thinking their behavior indicated they might be a couple I guess.

Do a YouTube search for "star wars rebels ultimate guide" (and good luck finding one that hasn't been cropped all to hell).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Somewhat related, there's a new book out called "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" covering the history of the franchise, from what inspired George Lucas to write it all the way up to the present. The author also includes a lot of info on related sci-fi, like the various pulp space fantasy stuff that inspired Star Wars in the first place or the wave of sci-fi it helped kick off in the 70s. It's a pretty good read, or in my case, listen and included a lot of stuff I had never previously known - though I'd be far from an avid fan of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Gary Whitta (Star Wars: Rouge One first draft writer) is doing an episode of Rebels, probably back half of S2 depending how far the show is along in production?

• Locked thread