Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's an interview with Filoni and Ahsoka's VA. It's got a few very brief, new clips. Also from the way they were talking it sounds like we won't be seeing an Ahsoka/Vader confrontation, at least not for a while.

First episode of Season 2 is on the 20th! Then the rest in the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

Then the rest in the fall.

You loving kidding me? I thought I'd be able to watch the entire thing because I have access to Disney XD for the summer! God dammit!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Thats loving hilarious. A 2 hour premier, then a multi month wait. Then I bet they show the premier again when the actual season kicks off.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
One of the things that's kind of bugged me about the whole franchise is that we've never seen Vader do anything outright evil as far as i can remember. Yeah, there was the killing of kids thing that was poorly covered in the 3rd film, but other than menacing "henchman" i don't think we ever exudes the level of cruelty we see from the other Sith.

It would be cool if they use Ahsoka for this in Rebels, where Vader basically kills her to solidify the "i'm loving evil now bitches" part of his character.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Kin posted:

One of the things that's kind of bugged me about the whole franchise is that we've never seen Vader do anything outright evil as far as i can remember. Yeah, there was the killing of kids thing that was poorly covered in the 3rd film, but other than menacing "henchman" i don't think we ever exudes the level of cruelty we see from the other Sith.

It would be cool if they use Ahsoka for this in Rebels, where Vader basically kills her to solidify the "i'm loving evil now bitches" part of his character.

I think murder and torture are pretty evil.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Saturniid19 posted:

I think murder and torture are pretty evil.

Pretty sure blowing up whole loving planet as a "gently caress you" to your daughter counts as evil.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kin posted:

He tortures Leia to reveal the location of the rebel base, he tortures Han purely to get Lukes attention, he murders imperial officers both those who hide their failures and those who come clean about their lack of success, even if they didn't do anything wrong. He subjects han to a procedure that he was warned is likely to kill him to make sure he can freeze Luke later. These are all like, pretty evil things.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

swickles posted:

Pretty sure blowing up whole loving planet as a "gently caress you" to your daughter counts as evil.

Pretty sure that one is mostly on Tarkin. Granted Vader just kinda let him do it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

It's been a while since i've seen the original trilogy so yeah, those do sound pretty evil, but i dunno, i've just not got this moustache twirling sense of evil from Vader as you get from any of the other Sith.

From Maul, to the Emperor, Dookou and even Asajj, they all come across as menacingly evil to a level that i don't think Vader, while dickish and happy to go along with shady orders, does.

For the central "Bad Guy" of the franchise i think we need more menacing scenes for him to establish him as something irredeemable (at least for now).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't say I get the sense of evil you're talking about from any of those bar the Emperor. Maul is only around for a few minutes and two saber fights. He just comes across as an arrogant dick who likes to fight and nothing more. Dooku is smoother than James Brown because it's Christopher loving Lee and Asajj came across as kind of try hard and out of her depth from the get go.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's melodrama. White hat = good, black hat = evil. It's like saying Shakespeare is shallow because the bastard is always evil. Duh the bastard is always evil. That's the loving point.

Having villains waste screen time torturing kittens or whatever to establish that they are capital-E Evil is some poo poo-rear end writing. You don't need nuance when it is an open-and-shut case.

Now, there was plenty of time to kill in Clone Wars and Anakin doesn't come out looking good there. He is righteous as gently caress and willing to take dramatic short-cuts to get where he wants to go. Obi-Wan is basically Odysseus, so he lies all the loving time, but he lies to serve noble ends -- it also cements his "man out of his time" aspect. Lazy, because that part of him makes sense as an old exile from a dead age living alone in the desert but they used a solid template to whitewash that bit of bad writing. Anakin lies and tortures to serve his own ends (some of which are nobel).

Episode 3 muddles it and makes the whole deal kind of a mess. But you gotta work with what you've got.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Now, there was plenty of time to kill in Clone Wars and Anakin doesn't come out looking good there. He is righteous as gently caress and willing to take dramatic short-cuts to get where he wants to go. Obi-Wan is basically Odysseus, so he lies all the loving time, but he lies to serve noble ends -- it also cements his "man out of his time" aspect. Lazy, because that part of him makes sense as an old exile from a dead age living alone in the desert but they used a solid template to whitewash that bit of bad writing. Anakin lies and tortures to serve his own ends (some of which are nobel).

The Clone Wars does A LOT to help flesh out Anakin and his fall from grace. By the middle of the series his standard interrogation technique is to force choke the poo poo out of someone while hold a light saber an inch from their face, and he's supposed to be the good guy. He also comes off as completely incapable of dealing with loss.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kin posted:

It's been a while since i've seen the original trilogy so yeah, those do sound pretty evil, but i dunno, i've just not got this moustache twirling sense of evil from Vader as you get from any of the other Sith.

From Maul, to the Emperor, Dookou and even Asajj, they all come across as menacingly evil to a level that i don't think Vader, while dickish and happy to go along with shady orders, does.

For the central "Bad Guy" of the franchise i think we need more menacing scenes for him to establish him as something irredeemable (at least for now).

I'd say that's your perceptions of having seen the whole OT affecting how you see him, like his redemption. If you were to just watch ANH, he comes across as far more evil than Darth Maul (even if the latter looks like a literal demon). Maul did what, kill Qui Gon? That's all he actually did that whole movie. Then toss in Vader's obsessive search for Luke, killing or torturing anyone, enemy or ally, who gets in his way, and he gets stunningly evil.

In ROTJ, he does get almost as cuddly as an ewok.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I think "tired old man in a suit" is a pretty succinct way to describe Vader in ROTJ, especially when it comes to his ever-present "it is too late for me, my son" shtick; the most menacing he ever gets is his taunting Luke about Leia towards the end.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I'd say that's your perceptions of having seen the whole OT affecting how you see him, like his redemption. If you were to just watch ANH, he comes across as far more evil than Darth Maul (even if the latter looks like a literal demon). Maul did what, kill Qui Gon? That's all he actually did that whole movie. Then toss in Vader's obsessive search for Luke, killing or torturing anyone, enemy or ally, who gets in his way, and he gets stunningly evil.

There's also all the stuff Maul did in clone wars, same with Dooku. They just come across as more menacing and outright evil. Like Maul flatout murders/executes Obiwan's ex in front of him. It wasn't even necessary, he just did it as a giant "gently caress you" to Obiwan and Dooku's whole grandfather of evil vibe he has going on again just makes him seem a lot more evil than Vader ever was.

Perhaps it's also to do with when the OT was made. Like i'd say the newer stuff is a touch grittier than the originals so maybe if they were to be filmed today Vader would be doing a bit more than occasionally choking a bitch and passively letting his subordinates blow up planets.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Vader murders people constantly and takes part in an oppressive regime. What more evil can he do?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

cargohills posted:

Vader murders people constantly and takes part in an oppressive regime. What more evil can he do?

Need more shots of him kicking puppies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

swickles posted:

Need more shots of him kicking puppies.

I'm pretty sure he just forcechoked this puppy to death

The trooper looks devastated :v:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You don't know the power.....of the fluffyside!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

MrBigglesworth posted:

You don't know the power.....of the fluffyside!

Bark side. :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In case anyone hasn't heard, Christopher Lee, who played Count Dooku in the films and is famous for a lot of other great stuff passed away in the last few days. I assume most people here have heard, but it seems vaguely relevant. The man was a soldier and spy in WWII, had more on screen duels than anyone in history, played villains in some of the biggest franchises in history and released two metal albums when he was in his 80s. He's probably one of the coolest guys to ever live.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When Peter Jackson told Christoper Lee to imagine how being stabbed in the back would sound, Christoper said he didn't have to imagine.

Now, I'm not saying Christopher Lee has killed a man, but Christopher Lee has probably killed a man.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

Waffleman_ posted:

When Peter Jackson told Christoper Lee to imagine how being stabbed in the back would sound, Christoper said he didn't have to imagine.

Now, I'm not saying Christopher Lee has killed a man, but Christopher Lee has probably killed a man.

He was a loving commando behind enemy lines in Norway in WWII. He said he never fired a gun. Therefore, I am force to conclude that Sir Christopher Lee killed Nazis with his bare hands.

EDIT: Also he was best friends with Tarkin. Well as close as two straight men could be actually. So, I guess they're back together, being intimidating together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bunnyofdoom posted:

He was a loving commando behind enemy lines in Norway in WWII. He said he never fired a gun. Therefore, I am force to conclude that Christopher killed Nazis with his bare hands.

No, no...he clearly has access to a real lightsaber. Or possibly he just sang at them and the power of his voice and presence blew their souls out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

tsob posted:

No, no...he clearly has access to a real lightsaber. Or possibly he just sang at them and the power of his voice and presence blew their souls out.

Or he just sad "Hello" in his most menacing voice and their hearts gave out from fear.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh. I just tried watching Clone Wars again after getting some more distance from the prequels.

God dammit this show is great.

Is there a handy guide for all the kiddy/silly episodes, or the bottom rung ones to skip? I just remember from my first time around thinking that when it got bad it was real bad, but that was all in season 1 when Ashoka was unbearable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 13, 2015

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Ugh. I just tried watching Clone Wars again after getting some more distance from the prequels.

Is there a handy guide for all the kiddy/silly episodes, or the bottom rung ones to skip? I just remember from my first time around thinking that when it got bad it was real bad, but that was all in season 1 when Ashoka was unbearable.

Anything with Jar Jar in the description just skip over. Other than that, there are only 2-3 other truly bad episodes.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

feedmyleg posted:

Most of the first season is kinda kiddy,with the exception of "Rookies".
" Do we take prisoners? :downswords:" "I don't. :black101:"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guess who's unlockable in Disney Infinity.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

swickles posted:

Anything with Jar Jar in the description just skip over. Other than that, there are only 2-3 other truly bad episodes.

If it's got C3P0 in the description, it's probably safe to skip too. I remember him getting a few episodes of his own at least.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Threepio's episodes were pretty decent.

Just watch them all, you babies. :colbert:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The mace windu jarjar buddy cop episodes were suprisingly decent.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's weird to find out that in the first drafts Jar Jar spoke normally and was actually pretty competent at his job, and then morphed in to the...thing that we got over time because Lucas wanted a character that played to the physical comedy of silent movies. I think he could have worked even with that if he'd just been clumsy some of the time, but his entire character is that he helps make situations worse unintentionally due to his clumsiness, and then makes them better by the same token, all without ever realizing what's going on. He has no character outside of that one trait.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Here's a guide I put together when some friends asked me that question. As others have said, you could do worse than watching the entire show, but if you really just want (what I'd consider to be) the cream of the crop, this should help: areyoubadenough.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes.html

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New trailer for the two parter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq_VYheW97I

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Without contrast the whole world is vanilla. Ahsoka won't be such a badass at the end if you don't suffer the snips.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Decided to read about some peter cushing/christopher lee antics and instead came across this from Cushing in an interview

quote:

In 1971, Cushing withdrew from the filming of Blood from the Mummy's Tomb following the death of his wife, actress Violet Helene Beck (8 February 1905 – 14 January 1971), to whom he had been married since 1943. The following year, he was quoted in the Radio Times as having said, "Since Helen passed on I can't find anything; the heart, quite simply, has gone out of everything. Time is interminable, the loneliness is almost unbearable and the only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that my dear Helen and I will be reunited again some day. To join Helen is my only ambition. You have my permission to publish that ... really, you know, dear boy, it's all just killing time. Please say that."[6]

:stare:

And then Lee, re: Cushing

quote:

In an interview included on the DVD release of The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959), Lee said of his friend's death: "I don't want to sound gloomy, but, at some point of your lives, every one of you will notice that you have in your life one person, one friend whom you love and care for very much. That person is so close to you that you are able to share some things only with him. For example, you can call that friend, and from the very first maniacal laugh or some other joke you will know who is at the other end of that line. We used to do that with him so often. And then when that person is gone, there will be nothing like that in your life ever again."

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 14, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn that is depressing. Getting old blows :(

Also, looking at all the horror icons throughout the years, the only one who could have been in Star Wars at some point but wasn't is Vincent Price, but he was already a joke by the 70s :(

TheBigBad posted:

Without contrast the whole world is vanilla. Ahsoka won't be such a badass at the end if you don't suffer the snips.

So you're saying that Stockholm Syndrome is the way to go? She's one of my favorite characters in season 2/3 because she's the voice of reason against the stupidity of the Jedi.

e: but seriously, it'll be another 15 years before we bet an animated show as impressive or ambitious as Clone Wars. Goddamn you see the budget on every episode. Also, Ahsoka rules hard. After watching this I can't loving wait for her in Rebels.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 15, 2015

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
This is probably some sort of heresy to admit, but I actually liked some of the Clone Wars Jar Jar episodes. He's still got the annoying speech thing and the general clumsiness, but he actually does stuff and uses his head sometimes in the series - he actually helps solve problems intentionally, rather than just through blind luck. Also, I have kind of a weakness for physical comedy :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Some previews for the Season 2 premier have been put up on the Star Wars youtube channel. Mild spoiler warnings, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ipRiCrD03g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdI86nfib3M

Make mom and dad proud kids. :allears:

Also along the whole "feels like someone's Star Wars RPG group" the way the group reacts to Vader seems very appropriate "we can't kill this! RUN! :ohdear:" "I shoot him! :black101: - gah reflection! :gonk:"

• Locked thread