Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

XboxPants posted:

Well, yeah, that's why Kickstarter generally doesn't make any sense if you use it as a store. But just because it may look like a store to some people, that doesn't mean it is one. It's not a store and shouldn't be viewed that way, that way lies madness. Kickstarters should only be backed if you're going to be happy just donating and supporting the team behind it, regardless of what the final outcome is.

I've backed a few games that I might never see completed (Ghost Song to name one) but I don't really care because I knew I was backing a concept, not a game. Early Access shouldn't be like that because you are supposed to be buying an early version of a game. If all you have is a concept you shouldn't be uploading it to Steam in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Depressing Drawers posted:

How about if an early access title is cheap? Like, super cheap?

You probably actually get what you pay for then. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Since you're new I am going to do you a favor. You should not have made this thread. Your entire OP would have been right at home as a post inside the Steam thread though.

Then I wouldn't have been able to put my two cents in because the Steam thread is a clusterfuck of different conversations going at the same time. We should be able to have a thread to have a discussion without someone asking if some game is good or not.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

Most of the time though its Kickstarter games that have a beta reward for a pledge tier so they price the EA at that tier price so not to cheat their backers, which is understandable,i.e. Wasteland 2, aforementioned Planetary Annihilation.

If you're pricing your alpha at $90 then you need to keep that exclusive to Kickstarter, not put it on Steam to make a fuckton extra money for a barebones game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Cool, way to not only use hatespeech but not actually read my post at all.

Shut up you loving baby. Go back to your Steam megathread.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

BexGu posted:

That already happened: it was called Confederate Express.

I was so mad that I had found out about that Kickstarter the day after it ended so I couldn't give them my money. Now I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

BexGu posted:

and even signed up to SA to talk about the game.

Haha, are you serious?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cheekio posted:

I just backed your game for $25, which was a dumb idea because I'm poor, but the art style is amazing.

Have you considered alternate game modes? I imagine if you just made the player/enemy movement speeds faster you'd be 9/10th of the way to an arcadey hotline miami clone. The base engine seems like it could do a lot of great stuff reusing the same code/artwork.

Edit: I know this has nothing to do with the game you're already invested in making, but again, the art style is amazing. More games should look like yours.

:lol:

Emphasis mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

DrProsek posted:

Although, Spacebase apparently broke that second rule. Any summary on what happened there? I basically only know that it's a game Double Fine made that was an EA/KS title but not much else.

They made a fair amount of money on it and decided that it would be more profitable to halt production of the game and release it unfinished, hoping modders will finish the game for them.

• Locked thread