Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Older novels are all racist as hell, if you want a full blast of it go read something like King Solomon's Mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Older novels are all racist as hell, if you want a full blast of it go read something like King Solomon's Mines.

I feel that would be his response.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
This may come as a shock, but a man born and raised in early 20th century england may not have actually had a very progressive world view.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Actually King Solomon's Mines probably gets away with a lot on account of being first person, in retrospect

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Contra Calculus posted:

This may come as a shock, but a man born and raised in early 20th century england may not have actually had a very progressive world view.

It doesn't come as a shock at all to me, but I find it very interesting that all this is lost/removed in the movies and modern interpretations as it would of course not be acceptable now.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Skandranon posted:

Maybe it is?

We'll probably the Gondor Rohan team up represented the UK and USA. USA being the Cowboys in horses who ride to join with the UK as their get bombed for a while. Men who fail often and blunder about but always manage to win those pesky world wars.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Anyone who thinks Tolkien was anti-Semitic should read his letters when Germans came calling to ask about a translation.

TL;DR: Germany was proud of his German last name and said 'this work is very Arisch!', to which he replied pretty much 'I'm sorry, assuming you mean Aryan none of my ancestors spoke these most definitely not German languages. If you mean Jewish, well, sadly I have no ancestry of that gifted people. But if you're going to make these inquiries I'll be ashamed of my last name. I don't even live in Germany, I served in the English army, you fucks, so gently caress off.'

He actually sent two letters, one of which was much more diplomatic and told his publisher 'send either of these you want, I don't give a drat'.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dvlos posted:

We'll probably the Gondor Rohan team up represented the UK and USA. USA being the Cowboys in horses who ride to join with the UK as their get bombed for a while. Men who fail often and blunder about but always manage to win those pesky world wars.

Stupid Roherin congress wouldn't allow Theodin to declare war until it was almost too late.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
*walks into gamestop with sixty dollars*

Whoa! Tolkien was a racist, maybe?

*does a 180 and walks back home*

Phew, dodged a bullet there.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

matrix ripoff posted:

*walks into gamestop with sixty dollars*

Whoa! Tolkien was a racist, maybe?

*does a 180 and walks back home*

Phew, dodged a bullet there.

They should really take that sign down.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Edit: Talion is Troy Baker? gently caress yes!

And the new villain is Nolan North. The destined confrontation!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Eponymous posted:

And the new villain is Nolan North. The destined confrontation!

Who is the villain, actually? I mean obviously Sauron but we can't fight him cause he doesn't have a body anymore, right? (I am not much of an LOTR person so I could be totally wrong there.) I heard some mentions in the gameplay videos that you're getting an orc army together to fight the black captains, does that mean the ring wraiths or are these different guys?

e: vvvv sold, that dude looks like he owns

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They recently made a trailer about that actually...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Solomonic posted:

Who is the villain, actually? I mean obviously Sauron but we can't fight him cause he doesn't have a body anymore, right? (I am not much of an LOTR person so I could be totally wrong there.) I heard some mentions in the gameplay videos that you're getting an orc army together to fight the black captains, does that mean the ring wraiths or are these different guys?

The black captains are probably going to be the main villain. Given what the trailers show, after that he heads off with his army to take on Sauron only to get buried in a pyroclastic surge that turns Mordor into the hellhole it is in LOTR. Granted, there's plenty of opportunity for them to subvert the trailers. But there's no way Talion gets a happy ending unless it's some sort of alternate universe "what if?" sort of thing.

According to someone on these forums who claimed to have played an early build of the game he gets turned into a Nazgul/wraith just in time for the siege of Gondor. Presumably all those mind control powers actually have a side effect if that's true. There's even a few one liners in the gameplay demonstrations about how he's having a harder time remembering his family every time he dies. So maybe that'll be a plot point.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Archonex posted:

The black captains are probably going to be the main villain. Given what the trailers show, after that he heads off with his army to take on Sauron only to get buried in a pyroclastic surge that turns Mordor into the hellhole it is in LOTR. Granted, there's plenty of opportunity for them to subvert the trailers. But there's no way Talion gets a happy ending unless it's some sort of alternate universe "what if?" sort of thing.

According to someone on these forums who claimed to have played an early build of the game he gets turned into a Nazgul/wraith just in time for the siege of Gondor. Presumably all those mind control powers actually have a side effect if that's true. There's even a few one liners in the gameplay demonstrations about how he's having a harder time remembering his family every time he dies. So maybe that'll be a plot point.

That spoiler is 100% inaccurate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Solomonic posted:

e: vvvv sold, that dude looks like he owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-72GcnSDw

This is the Black Captains Trailer. Showing the Three of them. We know the names of two of them, the Black Hand and the Tower. All I will say is that the Tower looks the coolest.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Pure conjecture on my part: Sauron is actually playing a trick on you the whole time and using you to both weed out the weaklings in his army and provide him with a force which follows him without question.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Dammit. This looks really cool but pretty much every game tied to the LotR licence has sucked. The timing is even perfect as I just finished platinuming Infamous and want something new for the PS4.

I'm probably going to cave and preorder tomorrow after work. :sigh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BGrifter posted:

Dammit. This looks really cool but pretty much every game tied to the LotR licence has sucked. The timing is even perfect as I just finished platinuming Infamous and want something new for the PS4.

I'm probably going to cave and preorder tomorrow after work. :sigh:

Speaking of the LOTR licence, it's interesting that they've kept the LOTR name and logo out of the marketing/game. I imagine they're trying to set it apart from all the other terrible tie in games.

I probably wouldn't have any interest if that logo was slapped on the box. Strange that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I liked those gauntlet style hack and slash games they made, but that was a long time ago.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I hope you can unlock that Black Hand armor, cause drat that looks rad.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-72GcnSDw

This is the Black Captains Trailer. Showing the Three of them. We know the names of two of them, the Black Hand and the Tower. All I will say is that the Tower looks the coolest.

The third guy is The Hammer :flashfact: Don't get to excited about them though reviews seem to agree that the boss fights are disappointing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sleepy Owl posted:

The third guy is The Hammer :flashfact: Don't get to excited about them though reviews seem to agree that the boss fights are disappointing

Even if they are I will probably enjoy them none the less.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Even if they are I will probably enjoy them none the less.

Yeah even if the fights are just combat encounters with the boss added in they'll likely be fun enough even if they aren't amazing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ImpAtom posted:

That spoiler is 100% inaccurate.

Well gently caress me. Goons suck at spoiling games I guess. Disregard it then.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 27, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I don't think I've been this hyped for a game in a very long time. It simply looks amazing in every way.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Orv posted:

He was a turn of the 20th century Englishman, it's astonishing the entire thing isn't just one secret racist tirade.

It's actually a religious tirade criticizing man's hubris in disregarding the old ways in pursuit of science and technology (which were represented by the One Ring), which he felt led to consequences like the World Wars.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

bonds0097 posted:

It's actually a religious tirade criticizing man's hubris in disregarding the old ways in pursuit of science and technology (which were represented by the One Ring), which he felt led to consequences like the World Wars.

Which old ways were ok with him? 19th century, or 1st century? I have a feeling he wouldn't have been so happy losing 2000 years of technology.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Dude was basically anti-industrialism. A big part of the Uruks and why they're so evil is because they're basically mass-produced garbage.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

kalonZombie posted:

Dude was basically anti-industrialism. A big part of the Uruks and why they're so evil is because they're basically mass-produced garbage.

The internet constantly says he was anti-war, I had a professor actually tell me he was certain the ring itself represented a round vagina and what would happen to society if we let women in the work force, and then this post I quoted is actually an idea that isn't poo poo.

Does anyone here with a PC that doesn't quite meet the requirements plan to buy the game anyway? I'm a hair short of the CPU requirements and really want one of you to spend fifty bucks and report back to potentially save me from wasting fifty bucks.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

extra stout posted:

The internet constantly says he was anti-war, I had a professor actually tell me he was certain the ring itself represented a round vagina and what would happen to society if we let women in the work force, and then this post I quoted is actually an idea that isn't poo poo.

Does anyone here with a PC that doesn't quite meet the requirements plan to buy the game anyway? I'm a hair short of the CPU requirements and really want one of you to spend fifty bucks and report back to potentially save me from wasting fifty bucks.

I've got an i5-2500 and I've already ordered the game, so, tuesday night eu time i can tell you if i made a terrible mistake or not.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
i5-2500k is well past the minimum requirements.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Right sorry, for some reason i assumed he was talking about recommended specs. Minimum makes way more sense.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
This game has perfect timing. I'm just about up to the point in Destiny where I feel I can safely step away because I'm fully decked out in legendary gear and have that "ready for the expansion" state. A new game is much welcomed right now. I thought this game looked awesome from the start...but like others, I knew LOTR games are never very good so I curbed my expectations. A very pleasant surprise.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The more streams I watched the more amazing this game looks - especially now that some early copies are out in the wild and regular players are streaming, versus guided tours. The gameplay looks every bit as emergent as has been advertised, I am super psyched for Tuesday.

Also, it can't be said enough how great the combat animations look. Everything just flows so smoothly and it looks like an absolute blast to play.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

extra stout posted:

I need to get a dx11 compatible videocard first but my cpu is way below the specs and I plan on picking it up and playing it on minimum settings. My cpu is an i3 540 @ 3ghz so I have a feeling that if it is playable it will be just at the bare possible minimum allowed.

Of course if the game is more reliant on gpu over cpu it may not make that big of a difference. I don't know much about the new-gen games out there but I vaguely recall they are more demanding on the gpu over cpu. I'm probably wrong about that though.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

extra stout posted:

I'm absolutely getting it and I have an AMD Phenom II X4 960T @ 3 GHz, and the minimum is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4 GHz, so I think I could gauge just how much of a hair short you can be while still running it fine :v:.

Edit: It's also worth noting that Monolith actually gives a poo poo about 60 fps, so the listed requirements might just represent the minimum to get that kind of framerate.

Moartoast fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 27, 2014

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

kalonZombie posted:

While the Shire pretty much embodied Tolkien's vision of the English countryside he'd been familiar with in his youth – pastoral, unpolluted, and so on. Just look at what happens when Saruman seizes control of it.

Tolkien's biography (by Humphrey Carpenter) actually was a very interesting read and I completely recommend it to anyone who's at least a little curious about the man.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MMAgCh posted:

While the Shire pretty much embodied Tolkien's vision of the English countryside he'd been familiar with in his youth – pastoral, unpolluted, and so on. Just look at what happens when Saruman seizes control of it.

While at the same time pouring a hell of a lot of criticism on the 'keep away from trouble and trouble will keep away from you' 'me and mine' incestual attitude that's still prevalent in the UK.

Anyway it's all applicable rather than allegorical innit. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking of grabbing the PS4 version, because while I have a nice gaming PC, after the issues I had running Dead Rising 3...I might just get a console version instead to avoid them. But has any comparison between the two versions appeared yet?

• Locked thread