Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
SCGs Singles are usually overpriced anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
God dammit I'm so mad my new job didn't pay me this week so I could order like 20 Narsets at $2.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cernunnos posted:

SCGs Singles are usually overpriced anyway.

As compared to what?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sickening posted:

As compared to what?
The rest of the market?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

neetengie posted:

The rest of the market?

That's a lovely way of looking at it and i say that as someone who never pays their prices. SCG has a unique position in the market and i think overall their influence is a net positive for the community as a whole.

If a big retailer like them didn't exist the market would be way crazier.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GonSmithe posted:

God dammit I'm so mad my new job didn't pay me this week so I could order like 20 Narsets at $2.

Don't worry, she won't hold a price much higher than that. Certainly not enough for you to profit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Don't worry, she won't hold a price much higher than that. Certainly not enough for you to profit.

Yeah. Even in the Jeskai decks, she is only a one or two-of (assuming she is in the decklist at all). She won't breach $4-5.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Shots fired!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is the dumbest game of Magic since the Bant Hexproof mirror for the pro tour.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Shots fired!

This is about as funny as it gets, folks.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
I'm really bummed that Jeskai Alfonso didn't stick as a name.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

Shots fired!

Oh wow congratulations mcmagic

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have been really busy lately and haven't been able to keep up at all, is new Standard basically all G/x/x decks?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I have been really busy lately and haven't been able to keep up at all, is new Standard basically all G/x/x decks?

IIRC some UWR decks have been doing well.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Aw, 9th place. :(

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73385

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Oh wow congratulations mcmagic

That's what you think I look like? Christ.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC some UWR decks have been doing well.

[url=http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=1&start_date=09/27/2014&end_date=09/28/2014&start=1&finish=32&state=NJ]The top 8 of New Jersey[/url] was pretty varied, but [url=http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=1&start_date=09/27/2014&end_date=09/28/2014&start=1&state=IN]Indianopolis[/url] had green in every top 8.

e: urls are hard

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

That's what you think I look like? Christ.

No way, this is:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Allegedly posted and then quickly deleted.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Symphonie posted:

[url=http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=1&start_date=09/27/2014&end_date=09/28/2014&start=1&finish=32&state=NJ]The top 8 of New Jersey[/url] was pretty varied, but [url=http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=1&start_date=09/27/2014&end_date=09/28/2014&start=1&state=IN]Indianopolis[/url] had green in every top 8.

e: urls are hard

Nice to see the jeskai ascendency combo made 20th place in IN.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73359

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
The OP needs to be updated in a couple places.

BJPaskoff posted:

Modern: Magic's newest format bridges the gap between Legacy and Extended.

Extended doesn't exist anymore, so it should say "the gap between Legacy and Standard."

BJPaskoff posted:

Vintage: The most powerful decks that can be created reside here in "Type 1". The insanely high expense of cards that are in almost every good deck in the format - cards known as the Power 9 because of their reputation for being the nine most powerful cards ever printed - leads players to shy away from the format. Most Vintage tournaments will be run without DCI sanctioning because they allow ten or fifteen proxies in order to make the tournament more accessable to players not willing to spend $3000 on a Black Lotus.

Misspelled accessible.

BJPaskoff posted:

DIGITAL VERSIONS

There have been many digital versions of the game in the past, on Dreamcast, Playstation, PC, and even arcades, but the current and most popular version is Magic Online. Magic Online players buy digital cards and play online against people all over the world, at any time they want. The only downside to the program is, of course, that you're buying digital objects and the social aspect of the game is non-existant. Wizards used to have a redemption program where players who collected every card in a newer set could redeem them for paper versions of those cards, but that's since been discontinued. Magic Online costs $9.99, but once you sign up, you get a bunch of random cards, including some gold-bordered cards you can only play with other people who have them. Also, new sets come out much slower than their paper versions, with a short delay between the paper release and the MTGO release due to Wizards not wanting people beta testing products that haven't been officially released yet.

Misspelled nonexistent. The redemption program still exists, so you should remove that part. New accounts don't include gold-bordered cards, but they do include entry for a few tournaments. New sets are available online one week after the paper release date, so I wouldn't say they come out much slower.

BJPaskoff posted:

Duels of the Planeswalkers is an Xbox Live, Playstation, and PC game with multiple expansions. Hardcore players were disappointed that there's no deckbuilding available, just a bunch of precons you can unlock and new cards you can unlock for them in turn, but it's a fun, arcade-y version of Magic.

The updated link is http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/products/duels-of-the-planeswalkers. The new version of the game is very different, so there should be a new summary. Duels of the Planeswalkers is a series with many entries on Xbox, PlayStation, Windows, iPad, and Android. This is the best way for new players to learn to play Magic. It doesn't try to simulate every aspect of the paper game, instead it provides a more arcade-like experience.

BJPaskoff posted:

Friday Night Magic (FNM): The most accessable tournaments for most players is FNM, which as its name suggests takes place on Friday nights at local hobby stores. FNM tournaments can range anywhere from eight to sixty-plus players, and usually pay out prizes in either packs or store credit. To make sure everyone who wants to play can play, FNM tournaments are only allowed to be Standard, Extended, Block, sealed, booster draft, or Two-Headed Giant Standard/sealed. That way, no one needs to worry about tracking down older, out-of-print cards. Competition is usually pretty lax at FNMs, with (hopefully) friendly players and a fun atmosphere. Each month, Wizards prins a special foil promo that is given out to FNM players at each event. Other local events can be run too, even if they're not FNM.

Extended is gone, so available formats are Standard, Modern, Block, Sealed Deck, Booster Draft, or Two-Headed Giant (Standard or Sealed). There's two typos: accessible and prints.

BJPaskoff posted:

States/Champs: States, or Champs, depending on where in the world you live, is a big, fun tournament run on the same day in every state/province/what-have-you. Every participant gets a free promo card, and the top 8 players win boxes of product and a special foil promotional card. Since no huge prizes are on the line, the environment is close to a "big FNM".

Wizards doesn't run States and Champs anymore.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Applebees posted:

The OP needs to be updated in a couple places.

Extended doesn't exist anymore, so it should say "the gap between Legacy and Standard."

Misspelled accessible.

Misspelled nonexistent. The redemption program still exists, so you should remove that part. New accounts don't include gold-bordered cards, but they do include entry for a few tournaments. New sets are available online one week after the paper release date, so I wouldn't say they come out much slower.

The updated link is http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/products/duels-of-the-planeswalkers. The new version of the game is very different, so there should be a new summary. Duels of the Planeswalkers is a series with many entries on Xbox, PlayStation, Windows, iPad, and Android. This is the best way for new players to learn to play Magic. It doesn't try to simulate every aspect of the paper game, instead it provides a more arcade-like experience.

Extended is gone, so available formats are Standard, Modern, Block, Sealed Deck, Booster Draft, or Two-Headed Giant (Standard or Sealed). There's two typos: accessible and prints.

Wizards doesn't run States and Champs anymore.

:wrongful:

So yeah this tournament is hilarious. Everyone is either running Jeskai tempo, Abzan midrange, mono-black aggro or mono-black aggro.

I'm building Jadine's Jeskai tempo for next FNM. I wanna Deflecting Palm people to death :allears:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Between the top 32 of Indy and Jersey combined to 64 decks, something like 12 didn't Courser/Caryatid I think.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sickening posted:

Shots fired!

Oh hey, this kid goes to my (closing) local shop.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

I know that dude! He is a good dude.

Edit: Unless you are that dude, in which case, hey!

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 28, 2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Took second at the Khans release event at my FLGS today with a Temur sealed deck. Nothing spectacular in the prize packs, but I opened my second Sorin in the pool itself (first one at the pre-release, when I could actually play it in my Azban deck :v: ), as well as a couple of other decent cards to have around.

Attorney at Funk posted:

No way, this is:

The most "overweight 14-year-old" 19-year-old I've ever seen.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

:allears:

I hope it's real. Call it Karma.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Symphonie posted:

I'm really bummed that Jeskai Alfonso didn't stick as a name.

Was this on camera referencing the pilot? I know that guy and would dearly enjoy bothering him about it

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Entropic posted:

Can someone explain this? Is he known for having cheated somewhere before?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Pyronic posted:

Yes, multiple times.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Pyronic posted:

Alex Bertoncini is one of the leading names in tournament magic cheating, in this age of video replays letting us all watch him cheat long after he's gotten away with it.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Pyronic posted:

Yep - most notably for playing extra lands.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Pyronic posted:

Alex Bertoncini was banned for 18 months for cheating, and has been reportedly caught cheating as recently as GP Phoenix in April.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

deftest posted:

Was this on camera referencing the pilot? I know that guy and would dearly enjoy bothering him about it

Yeah it was labeled that for half the match or so before they fixed it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Attorney at Funk posted:

Alex Bertoncini was banned for 18 months for cheating, and has been reportedly caught cheating as recently as GP Phoenix in April.

Actually he was banned 12 months for cheating and 6 months for bragging about it, wasn't that what happened?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I get maybe not tapping something or slipping an extra card into your hand going unnoticed. How the gently caress do you miss someone playing an extra land on turn two? I'm mostly a kitchen table scrub and this is insanely obvious poo poo to me.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Rogue 7 posted:

I know that dude! He is a good dude.

Edit: Unless you are that dude, in which case, hey!

Naw, it ain't me, but I do like seeing any sort of Sligh/Red Deck Wins/whatever place. Gotta live that classic dream~

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Tracula posted:

I get maybe not tapping something or slipping an extra card into your hand going unnoticed. How the gently caress do you miss someone playing an extra land on turn two? I'm mostly a kitchen table scrub and this is insanely obvious poo poo to me.

This is a good question, one that merits exploring in some detail.

This is a good question, one that merits exploring in some detail.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Tracula posted:

If you're Alex you play explore, then next turn you play explore but explore twice. When your opponent is like wtf, show him the two explores in your graveyard you just cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Could the Magic Card Design Challenge thread be added to the OP? It's much more active than the card generator thread.

• Locked thread