Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm glad to see Narset win a tournament. The card seems to get underestimated because it's a 3-power creature for 6, but she really does do something fundamentally broken. She also seems to be in a good place right now since Crackling Doom and End Hostilities are about the only things that kill her. That Jeskai Deck looks so sick, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more copies of Narset.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

My wife and I ended up buying a box because gambling is fun from time to time. Ended up pulling 7 fetches including a foil Flooded Strand and a Sarkhan which someone wants to trade a bunch of fetches for. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be taking that trade.

Just FYI, that is an insanely high number of fetches to pull from one box.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just did an extremely frustrating paper draft. I drafted BGUw, splashing for Siege Rhino and Abzan Charm. I had 4 trilands and 5 or 6 duals, so my mana was actually extremely consistent.

I lost in the first round to a 4 color deck that I beat game 1, then he beat me game 2 with Abzan Guide with Molting Snakeskin and Dragon Grip attacched (and I had a 2/8 blocker). I couldn't draw an answer and it killed me. Then in the third game I drew 12 lands to 5 nonlands and he milled me out with Altar of the Brood + Bloodsoaked Champion. Then he dropped and I won my next 4 rounds.

In my first three rounds, each of my opponents had Duneblast and Abzan Guides in their deck. This was my deck by the way:

2 Opulent Palace
Mystic Monastery
Frontier Bivouac
Thornwood Falls
2 Scoured Barrens
2 Blossoming Sands
1 Island
4 Swamps
4 Forest

Disowned Ancestor
2 Archer's Parapet
Heir of the Wilds
Smoke Teller
Alpine Grizzly
Siege Rhino
Longshot Squad
Sultai Soothsayer
Rotting Mastodon
Sagu Archer
Pine Walker
2 Abomination of Gudul
Kheru Lich-lord
Shambling Attendants

Debilitating Injury
Disdainful Stroke
Savage Punch
Abzan Charm
Sultai Ascendancy
Dragonscale Boon
Murderous Cut
Treasure Cruise

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

New rares in multiple decks in the top 8:
12 Mantis Rider
12 Siege Rhino
11 Dig Through Time
8 Wingmate Roc
7 Sorin
7 End Hostilities
5 Sarkhan
5 Anafenza

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hey it turns out multiple Siege Rhinos is really good WHO KNEW?!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

So, Dark Betrayal is a card. Destroy target Siege Rhino for 1 at Instant? Yes please. Does this seem like a playable SB card to anyone else?

Glare of Heresy seems better since it hits Mantis Rider too. Unfortunately, neither of those cards stops you from taking three from each of the creatures.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also keep in mind that most decks that play Dark Confidant have most of their spells cost very little mana. You wouldn't play it in something like Commander because that is too much life loss. What's interesting is that making Dark Confidant cost 1 more mana and making it an enchantment makes it completely unplayable in any format.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Oh cool, Feldon can do that at instant speed, so Emrakul shenanigans are go

Feldon was an artificer who loved his dead wife so much he brought her back as a world-eating gargantua tentacle monstrosity.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sorry guys the correct move is to play Titania and Jokulhaups in the same deck.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Yeah I would bet the art description for this was "Draw Stoneforge Mystic standing up and in greater detail."

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Planeswalker lose power when they are no longer creatures

See: Venser

It seems like you guys are equating a permanents abstract "power" with its playability, which I would argue is not the same thing. Venser the Sojourner can give you an emblem that exiles a permanent whenever you cast a spell! That's more powerful than Venser the creature, although the creature is much more efficient and thus more playable.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Frozen_flame posted:

If only they helped us out th-

A couple of friends are very miffed that there is a hoser for their precious Hexproof.

I'm so glad this exists. I've already considered running Glaring Spotlight. I'm loving the flavor behind cards that remove hexproof, shining a big light on creatures.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I mostly play Xenagod as my general, so I'm really liking Siege Behemoth. I probably won't buy the green deck just for that, though.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm amazed Delver of Secrets has made it as long as it has without it at least being in the discussion for banning. Wild Nacatl, though now unbanned, was banned for a while in Modern because a 3/3 for 1 was considered too strong. Well how about a 3/2 flier for 1 in blue, is that not too strong? Let's not pretend that this thing is going to go more than a turn or two without transforming. It is a 3/2 flier for one blue mana. The fact that a blue deck can play a 3/2 flier on turn one and then tempo you out for the rest of the game is kind of bullshit.

What I'm saying is, gently caress Delver of Secrets for being an overpowered card. Just bite the bullet and ban all blue cards, ever.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mondrian posted:

Yeah a conditional 3/2 that you build around is way better than a 3/3 that requires you to hit 2 fetches.
Cool opinions, keep them coming.

It's conditional in the same way that Tarmogoyf is a conditional 3/4 or more for 2 mana. So, just play magic and it will happen very quickly.

I'll admit that before Treasure Cruise, Delver decks weren't really doing anything too crazy, but blue getting a 3/2 flier for one is still bullshit.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

"Dragonshifted"

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also I know it's unlikely but I hope Sarkhan pulls a Fry and kills his own ancestor/becomes his own ancestor.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Surrak, Husband to Dragons
Anafenza, Mother of Dragons

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

A related question I've had in the back of my mind: what creatures are there whose names are identical (or close) to their creature types? For example, Goblin Wizard is a goblin wizard, Goblin Mutant is a goblin mutant, Nomadic Elf is an elf nomad, Elvish Scout is an elf scout, etc.

Viashino Skeleton

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I pulled this. Weird.

I've seen a few of those in drafts and my LGS. It's pretty cool looking and common enough that it will never be worth anything.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If you want 2 lava axes in a draft deck you're doing it wrong. This card is barely playable.

I can think of plenty of aggro decks (in core sets) that really wanted and used one lava Axe. If the opponent is at 5 or less I can't really think of a better card to kill them with. This is basically infinite copies of Lava Axe in your deck at the cost of one card, which is not a terrible deal considering it also turns on ferocious and triggers any "When your Dragons attack" ability.

I think because of Dash people are going to have to prioritize playing safer and trying not to tap out late in the game, which makes this a bit worse. I could also see a better version of this at uncommon or rare that is basically the same thing but with Dash instead of the shuffle clause. I guess the RB dragon is pretty close to that.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 6, 2015

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Promo Downfall and Courser. Sold.

Oh no, it's Anax. :ohdear:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Cards to pair with Sabretooth in Limited:

Siege Rhino obviously the best
Bear's Companion
Armament Corps
Mardu Heart-Piercer
Mardu Hordechief
Mardu Skullhunter
Sultai Soothsayer (lol if you want to deck yourself)
Timely Hordemate
Warden of the Eye (for 4 color)
Watcher of the Roost
Wingmate Roc, though if you have a roc you should win anyway

surprisingly few creatures with enters the battlefield abilities, I guess a lot of that space was given to turn face-up abilities. Those also work with Sabretooth but cost a million mana.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm passing on mardu because I'm pretty sure black and red have more garbage commons than other colors.

I'm thinking Jeskai or Temur, because blue is the best.

I'm really not sure how to evaluate Manifest. It seems to get better if your deck has more undercosted vanilla creatures and worse if your deck has more powerful instants and sorceries. Like if I manifest my one Treasure Cruise or, heaven forbid, Ugin, it will ruin my day. It's probably better in draft where you have more equal card quality and more redundancy.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 15, 2015

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

the 5/4 for 5 that makes them sac down to 2 creatures at the end of turn (which is AWESOME with your opponents Dashing creatures thanks to APNAP order of triggers)

Quoting this so everybody remembers how the rules work. I totally got hosed by this in my first round after Dashing a Flamerush Rider without thinking about it.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Did anyone get a promo Ugin from their Ugin packs? No one I know did. That thing is going to be like a million dollars.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I went 3-1 in both of my Sealed tournaments. I lost to the same loving card both matches, too: Temur Sabretooth. I have never complained about a card being too powerful for Limited but it seriously feels like this card is not fair.

Anyway I got a sweet Sultai sealed pool today, featuring promo Archfiend of Depravity, pack foil Sandsteppe Mastodon, and Tasigur the Golden Fang. Tasigur was really good, more as a 4/5 for like 1-3 mana than for his ability., though my deck was strong enough that he usually got decent value.

Overperformers:

-All three of the above rares were huge bombs that win the game hard.
-Grim Contest: Butt Fight is really good, especially with Sidisi's Pet (gain 4) and Sultai Soothsayer.
-Reach of Shadows: no surprise, I had two of these and was always happy to draw them. I got hosed by the card that manifests a card with X counters on it (which turned out to be a Sabretooth) but otherwise kills anything for 5 instantly, which is great in this format.
-Return to the Earth: I had two and ended up maindecking one, and pretty much always had a target. Every color gets a 4/4 flyer for 6, not to mention the rare dragons, so I often sided in the second.
-Whisperer of the Wilds: Even late in the game, having two mana more than the opponent can be a pretty big deal, as there is so much to do with your mana in this format.

Underperformers:
-Shamanic Revelation: My deck was probably not right for it, but this card never did anything for me. I had a Treasure Cruise and that was about a billion times better.
-Hooded Assassin: Maybe against a deck full of walls, but most of the time this was a 2/3 for three.

to reiterate, gently caress Temur Sabretooth.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This deck was pretty sick. I had just one loss going into the final round.....

And my final round opponent refused to draw into top 8 with me. I lost because in the final game I ran out of gas and he stuck his Ugin. As a result, he gained absolutely nothing and I lost out on 14 packs (if everyone split).

gently caress that guy.

I can't REALLY complain because I have that shiny shiny Soulfire Grand Master promo, but gently caress that guy all the same. Everyone else in the top 8 even went over to explain that what he did was technically allowed but highly frowned upon because there's no reason to do what he did as it did not affect the prize he would receive, but he still refused.

Guess I'll just dump that thing over in the trade thread and take out my aggression on a cube draft.

That sucks on the loss, that deck looks amazing.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hey they revealed all of the alternate art Ugin pack cards. Grim Haruspex has one of the best flavor texts I've see in a while:

"Your enemies may be cowardly, my lord, but one should never call them gutless."

For those unaware, a Haruspex is a person who tells the future by reading entrails.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 19, 2015

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I managed to win a draft game because my opponent used Aven surveyor to bounce my manifested Rush of Battle instead of one of my 2/2 Zombie tokens. it was great.

Manifest has been really, really bad for me. I like playing good instants and sorceries and creatures with good ETB effects, and Delve creature. Last night I had Soul Summons, and the least horrible thing I hit was Abzan Battle-Priest. I also hit Harsh Sustenance, Rush of Battle, Sibsig Muckdraggers, and Mardu Hordechief. gently caress you Manifest.

The best thing I've gotten to do with Manifest was attack with Yasova, get her Whisked Away, and then play Cloudform.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 24, 2015

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Serperoth posted:

You still get it I think. Don't have the Oracle text on me right now, but if it's a requirement to activate it, you get it and it's only checked on activation. If it isn't, then I'm pretty sure that you check last known information.

This is true. If you Throttle her, however....

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

RME posted:

but really you just draft sprout swarm

Yeah if I could pick one card to ban in a Limited format it would be that.

I remember drafting TPF when I was very new to magic and just getting my rear end handed to me by Sprout Swarm.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Yeah they really needed to put the supertype in the type line. "Instant Sorcery" sounds a little weird to me but only because I've been playing magic so long. It actually reads well. I think the idea was that you could make Instant creatures and other permanents but it stretches the type line for space quite a bit. Imagine "Instant Legendary Creature - Human Barbarian." That might fit, but just barely.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Shovelmint posted:

I drafted a mono red deck on monday that just ran a train on everyone it encountered. No rares, and only 1 uncommon. I was so pleased with it, I brought it out again on wednesday and played it against pod winning decks that day and didn't drop a game in any of those matches either. It wasn't even that ridiculously good quality for a mono-red deck, just had a p1p1 and p1p2 heelcutter, and went from there. While the Fate pack certainly was better than the Khans packs, without the valley dashers, act of treasons, barrage of boulders, and arrow storms, the deck would've suffered greatly.

I got crushed by a mostly red deck that was pretty similar at a recent draft. Lots of two drops, Act of Treasons, Collateral Damages. But this guy also had Alesha, Sorin, and Butcher of the Horde to back up his amazing curve and Acts of Treason. We played like 8 or 9 games and I won once.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpsev15/top-8-decklists-2015-02-15

The top 8 for this Standard GP is amazing. Basically everything is represented except maybe Temur and Burn:

Monogreen devotion/ramp
Green Red Devotion/Monsters
U/B draw/go control
Sidisi Whip
Abzan Aggro
Abzan Midrange
Jeskai tempo
U/W Heroic of all loving things.

I can't wait to see which one wins.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Last night I got to draft probably the best deck I ever drafted. My first 5 picks were Wild Slash, Aven Surveyor, Heelcutter, Heelcutter, Heelcutter and it just went on from there. i had basically perfect mana and just rolled over everyone.

The deck:

2 Swiftwater Cliffs
Wind-Scarred Crag
Mystic Monastery
6 Mountains
5 Plains
3 Islands

Herald of Anafenza
Valley Dasher
Leaping Master
Smoldering Efreet
Ainok Bond-Kin
Gore Swine
2 Hordeling Outburst
Efreet Weaponmaster
Rageform
3 Goblin Heelcutter
Mardu Heartpiercer

Wild Slash
Feat of Resistance
Suspension Field
Ride Down
Temur Battle Rage
Jeskai Charm
Trumpet Blast
Will of the Naga
Treasure Cruise

Really good cards I didn't even maindeck were Winterflame, Aven Surveyor, Smite the Monstrous, Barrage of Boulders, Defiant Strike, Mardu War-Shrieker.

Guys, don't pass Goblin Heelcutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Can someone explain to me why people are excited to see Elder Dragon in a type line?

It does nothing mechanically, completely disconnected from the plot of the original elder dragons, and its not like there has been a serious lack of Legendary dragons in the game up until now. I'm self aware enough to know I don't care about plot an setting and flavor as much as some of you guys but seriously come on, its just two words on a type line!

Because Elder Dragons are cool and this cycle might actually be playable in any deck ever?

• Locked thread