Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

InterrupterJones posted:

Temples going up in price = never a better time to play Mono Red Sligh.

As someone who piloted a Rabble Red list to X-1 last night, seeing a turn one/two temple made me really happy. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Lord of Hats posted:

It feels like the Sultai decks we saw aren't doing anything powerful enough to warrant how slow they are. They really do need In Garruk's Wake or Empty the Pits or the like. Necropolis Fiend is good, but is it really any better than Polukranos, Stormbreath, or a walker suite?

Or even Extinguish All Hope, though that won't affect opposing Coursers. I like the deck, though: they don't really care about singleton removal as long as it ends up in the graveyard to fuel something else later. And I agree: as soon as I heard about Todd's deck running 4x Fiend I unconsciously flinched. :lol:

EDIT: And wow, nice turnabout by the Jeskai Tempo player. Sitting at five life and attacked by a Mogis's Marauders bestowed with Spiteful Returned with a Hall of Champions in play, she drops to three from Returned's effect but used Deflecting Palm to deal 4 to her opponent and then followed up with Jeskai Charm for the kill.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 27, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Mardu has been called Dega for a long time from my perspective, IMO, but Mardu feels like the least-awkward name to pronounce.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think 4 is right. You don't want more than 2, I don't think.

I agree; 4 is waaaaay too much for how much it costs normally and considering its effect's cost.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Empty the Pits in an aggro deck :stare:

It's great for grindy matches, though I'm not sure if this qualifies except for all those dead creatures he had; pity about Magma Spray.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

Since I won through the lottery with my prize packs last night and got a foil Ashcloud Phoenix, I am hoping SCG shows Ashcloud Jeskai on camera all day and in the top 8. Please raise it up!

It was on earlier and helped the Jeskai Tempo player win, so maybe? In comparison to almost everyone I know, I really liked it coming out.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
What was the Harness by Force win? Did Rabble Red pop up on stream?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

Shots fired!

Oh wow congratulations mcmagic

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zorak posted:

Jeskai Tempo looks sweet. Also funny in how it's playing none of the cards articles were harping on about.

I'll officially eat crow on it; good cost for the abilities, but didn't think non-control Jeskai would be a thing so early. Sidisi is also much better than I'd thought.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I traded for my Rabblemasters when they were only $1-2 apiece and because I was considering rebuilding Murdergoats; I thought it wouldn't work in Aggro due to costing 3 and not having haste but welp. \:shobon:/

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jenx posted:

I love this guy, he's like Travis Woo - you keep thinking he'll somehow grow a dignity somewhere in those posts, but he always fails to do so!

I love that Travis Woo is just becoming a go-to name for any criticism of another player, even if it doesn't fit.

"Oh wow that guy murdered his entire playtesting group for their fetchlands? Just like Travis Woo!"

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I could see Kibler fitting the bill a la American Psycho.

Chill la Chill posted:

I would be surprised if it wasn't him. I can imagine him saying the brains make you smarter and healthier as he tears into LSV's head.

And of course LSV would say something like "Well this'll give me a headache" as his eyes roll up in his head and blood shoots out of his nose.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 1, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Does anyone have that cool proxy-making website that assigns a number to a card name (with cost) depending on the deck you are using? Thanks in advance.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Awesome, thanks! :)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Polly Want A Kranos?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

Can spirit planeswalkers be a thing?

We'll find out soon with Ugin, won't we? :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The March Hare posted:

Has there been any word about reprints of the Zendikar fetches in the 2nd KTK block set? It seems like it might be weird having all 10 in standard at the same time, but maybe that's an unfounded fear.

I think it's more likely that they'll save those reprinted for another set; why pass on the chance to make another set a big sell? Not that I'll complain if they do

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

In that sense, it's probably more likely for the third KTK set, both to reflect the changed future (Flooded Strand -> Steam Vents, Wooded Foothills -> Misty Rainforest, etc) and to get people to stop opening KTK and open the third set instead.

Also possible, but I still think they won't do it within this set, and if they don't it likely won't be for another few.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Serperoth posted:

They've said a whole lot of times that if they were to reprint the fetches they'd reprint them all in the same block.

Do you have a link? That's the first I've heard of it, but it would be awesome if they did.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Zurgo Helmsmasher is amazingly fun in the Mardu control deck. I think people are just like "what the gently caress are you playing" whenever I cast him.

Not to mention, the opportunity to yell "ZURGO SMASH" every time you cast him.

Alternatively: Nevermind that poo poo, HERE COMES ZURGO!

:v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Oh man, thank you to whoever mentioned Puca Trade a few pages back! I'm getting rid of a bunch of old cards that were just collecting dust, and turning them into useful Khans cards. :homebrew:

Can you explain how it works? I'm still a little confused; are you just sending cards to people who want it, and that earns you cred until you can request a certain card? Or something???

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, pretty much exactly that. You just list the cards you have, and the cards you want, and their system matches you up with people who want cards you have.
All you do is send cards to people, and in turn, people send cards to you. No money involved, aside from the postage costs, which you eat.

I live in rural Japan, and I have a tough time getting to the nearest shop, whose selection is pretty limited anyway, so for me it's a really useful tool.

Alrighty; I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, but that seems pretty interesting. Once I have some time I guess I'll just get my entire collection online.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dungeon Ecology posted:

A few things to note before you jump in -- it may take some time before you get the cards you want. It depends on whether you have the points to afford the card, whether that card is being offered by someone, and whether they're willing to ship to you.

I've been offering stuff like Elesh Norn, Sylvan Library, and Karn Liberated in the trading thread to no avail, so so far it's been more of an issue of people actually having cards than me not having enough 'ammo' to secure one. :v: Fair point, though.

quote:

Also, officially, Puca Trade only supports trades in Mint/Near Mint cards and only English cards (although I found lots of people who are OK with receiving non-English cards).

That's also fine, I don't have much in the way of foreign cards anyway.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

I'd accept "Ajani and Elspeth are pissed and destroy Theros' entire pantheon", honestly.

Hey man, Nylea is pretty chill! <:mad:>

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Wouldn't you resolve the Hostilities first, not last? You clear the board and get a bunch of creatures, right? Or is that what he meant due to the wording?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

In order to resolve it first, you must put it on the stack last. Last in, first out is the rule.

That's what I said, but the wording confused me at first.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Would someone be awesome and repost that UR counter burn deck from awhile back? TIA

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AgentSythe posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/13152#online

There is also a version that Pat Chapin wrote about a few weeks ago that is the same idea but has no creatures main, lightning strikes, and Master The Way

Thanks, guys. :buddy:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Pretty good night of Magic; went 4-1 for the second time in a row at FNM with Rabble Red (the first time I've ever done so well) and traded for another Fulminator Mage for Living End (for 3 total once mcmagic's letter comes in, hopefully).

That Azorius Soul Blade deck looks pretty sweet; I might try to build it since it's not super-expensive other than the manabase.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

In Non-Pro-Tour news, Tom Ross has been tweeting throughout the day from SCG States and it just culminated in "I'm Louisiana state champion!" His deck was "basically RabbleRed with Hordeling Outburst over Goblin Rabblemaster" which sounds super sweet to me considering my T4 in TCG States with Sligh.

Probably means Rocket's will be throwin' a party this week to celebrate. :slick:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Veyrall posted:

News Flash: Restore Balance deck beats UR delver, every time.

Now I'm curious. Where did this happen?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The only way to avoid accusations of netdecking is to brew alone in a cabin in the woods like the Unabomber, only making yourself known to the world when you send scrawling, typewritten manifestos on the power of obscure cards to Channel Fireball.

Like Travis Woo.

And even then it turns out he had been thinking of a deck that someone else had come up with concurrently.

Basically, Simpsons did it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Is this a real deck, or was it just a good meta call?

It's real, and as long as decks want to run Temples it's worth running a quick aggro deck that takes advantage of the early turns.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

joats posted:

Drown in sorrow. Good day.

I've run into one person running that card the past two FNMs, honestly.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

Isn't it the obvious sideboard answer to Rabblemaster?

It is but ironically I haven't seen a lot of Aggro until only recently; as the meta becomes more and more centered around midrange Siege Rhino builds, I imagine people will prioritize it even less.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I really like Tom Ross's logic regarding replacing the Rabblemasters with Hordeling Outburst as a meta-call against decks heavy on individual removal, whereas Rabblemaster allows you to bait out the sweeper and then re-set fairly quickly.

EDIT: The fact that Outburst turns Denizen into a 4/1 while triggering Swiftspear's Prowess is great, and following it up with Hall of Triump is great.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Madmarker posted:

What list is this? I've heard of it, but I have yet to see Ross's list.

18 Mountain

4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Frenzied Goblin
1 Arena Athlete

2 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Lightning Strike
4 Titan's Strength
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
1 Coordinated Assault
1 Hall of Triumph

SB: 3 Peak Eruption
SB: 2 Lightning Strike
SB: 4 Searing Blood
SB: 4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
SB: 2 Magma Spray

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Madmarker posted:

Yup, this certainly looks like a Tom Ross list, give him a bag of draft leavings and he'll top 8 an Open.

He's won a few Opens, too. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Quoting this for a new page; it's a really awesome story, thank you for sharing it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Only thing dumber than Flip n Rip is thinking posting that picture somehow discredits the former.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Tom has also been cheering the Sligh players along as the tournament progressed, it's kinda funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Where can one watch the Grand Prix?

• Locked thread